Need help with Kitchen Colors!

talya_deeMarch 18, 2013
I am currently redesigning my kitchen and I'm having a very tough time picking a wall color. The cabinets are going to be bright white, stainless steel appliances, dark charcoal gray countertops and white subway tile. Our current kitchen chairs are a bright apple green with a white table. I thought i could play off of the bright apple green and paint the walls a more muted, lighter version of them (like BM tasty apple or potpourri green) or maybe even a blue in the teal or aqua family. I also would like it/need it to flow with my DR and LR wall color which is BM's Revere Pewter (gray). Any advice (and even pics and/or specific names of paint) would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!! :)
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
You know what tals181, I'd paint your walls a soft warm gray - like SICO 6206-31 Sketch, or General Paint Turbo, or Womb.

Why? Because then you can bring in a gorgeous piece of art with your apple green chairs - and that'll be absolutely stunning! the soft warm gray paint for your wall colour will play off the white cabinetry, and soften the charcoal gray countertops.

Bring in your apple green in a drape, accessories, artwork, oven mitts and tea towels - you will be much happier with a neutral paint colour that lets you introduce more colour as needed whereas painting the walls green is too much of a good thing! Good Luck, some photos to inspire
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 4:03PM
talya_dee
Thank you, Marie!! I definitely see where you are coming from, and I think you just saved me from regretfully having apple green overload. :) I'll keep it to my chairs and accessories, etc.

What do you think if I did one accent wall a deep charcoal gray to play off of the countertops, keeping the rest of the walls a soft gray?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:39PM
Amanda Cohen
Sounds like you have a great, traditional kitchen! I would go with a soft grey to help balance the countertops with the cabinets and backsplash. You have a nice color pallet with a splash of color, so I wouldn't add another bright color although it may seem lie its making it cohesive. Good Luck and post finished pictures! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:50PM
talya_dee
Thanks, Amanda. What's your take on the accent wall being a darker, charcoal gray?
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:24PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Yes - always a fan of tone on tone paint - my caritas house I designed has 7 different tones of soft gray to dark charcoal. Then, your pops of colour can be changed whenever you feel like it and always looks amazing...
1 Like    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:14AM
Amanda Cohen
I think a medium tone wall would be good. Something that catches your eye, but not too dark for the space.
    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:33PM
mousemaker
i agree with Marie..it's easier to bring in color than to change it after you've painted. what if you have a "blue period" like Picasso? :) oh oh. there are no blue apples!! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:50PM
talya_dee
Lol, you've convinced me! Going to try out samples of Benjamin Moore's Kendall Charcoal and Classic Gray right now. :) Thank you all for your creative input!!
    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 1:20PM
Need help with kitchen color.
We have a clean slate for our kitchen. Cabinets are...
Lyn Marty
Need help with kitchen color, paint table?
I have cherry cabinets, black granite floors (previous...
bventi
need help with kitchen color
blue/green granite white cabinets white appliances...
ddlast
Need help with Kitchen color
We are buying this home and I'm not fond of the yellow...
j_persinger
I need help with kitchen color scheme.
I have oak flooring with traditional medium dark (maple...
athros427
"Green" Kitchen Cabinets
We're currently renting and believe the off-gas and...
michellebelle81
Where to buy a great quality slipcovered sofa???
I am searching for sofas for my family room...I am...
schwenkb
upholstery fabric color that go with purple?
I'm painting my bedroom walls dark purple (aubergine),...
vhormazabal
Floor Plan Opinions!
Please take a look at this floor plan & give me...
Brea Albritton
Smaller couch?
I have changed this living room around a million times....
Marilyn Lindsey