Please help with family room and fireplace!!
tnmommy3
We just purchased a home and I need help choosing paint color for the walls. I would like to do something different for the fireplace. I love neutral colors and plan on using sea colors in accessories to make the room pop. Any ideas?
It's a Beautiful World!
You can always start with putting up a piece of art you like over your FP and then adding other accessories in your artwork's colors, that is what many pros here on Houzz recommend. If you like blues, check out our Blue Art collection. Best of luck decorating your new home!... Raisa

March 18, 2013 at 10:31pm   
Maureen Randall
How about a pale gray, that would really pop against the white woodwork, or a pale blue. Glidden has a nice color called Polished Pewter, which is a silvery gray color and another color which reminds me of a sea glass color is Olympic Abracadabra. Both of these would look beautiful in contrast to the white trim and wood floors. Best of luck to you!
March 18, 2013 at 10:34pm     
rawketgrl
Does this room get a lot of natural light? If a small or medium amount try 1. Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. Great gray brown neutral will look different depending on what it is next to. Looks amazing with white molding and trim. Tends to wash out in super bright sunny rooms. Try 2. BM Stardust (more gray) or 3. BM Driftwood (more brown) for very bright rooms, a bit dark for less light rooms but nice medium gray brown neutrals. Another really nice color is 4. BM Mullion Gray.....Good luck! I love your molding and the built ins are great.
March 18, 2013 at 10:37pm     
Maureen Randall
You can check out Pinterest too, they have tons of ideas for different color paints!
March 18, 2013 at 10:37pm   
ingrid_f
How about making the fireplace wall a dark shade of blue Gray or use wall paper and the a lighter shade on the other walls
March 19, 2013 at 12:10am   
Mark A. De Castro Contracting
Do a faux white marble finish on the mantle and pick a shade of gray that works well with that.
March 19, 2013 at 12:36am     
tnmommy3
Wow! Thank you all for the wonderful ideas! I guess I'm going with gray then! Thank u
March 19, 2013 at 5:04am     
tnmommy3
I did forget to mention, I have a lot of cut-glass crystal and some pure silver objects that I wanted to display on the shelves. I have thought about painting the back of the shelves a dark color and add some warm lighting over the inside of the shelves...any color suggestions for the background?? Thanks guys :)
March 19, 2013 at 6:10am     
For the back of the shelves I would go with charcoal gray. I have Revere Pewter in two rooms - living room and spare bedroom. It's a very weird paint color! Beige in the can, gray or beige or green on the wall depending on the light. If you go with this color do yourself a giant favor and don't use a flat finish, instead use eggshell. It's much better looking.
March 19, 2013 at 6:19am     
For a client I did a paint job using pale mauve and lilac - she had a similar set up to your room and had a cut glass and silver collection. The lilac makes the silver and cut glass just look wonderful against the purple, wood and cream sofa set.
What is more, at night, the lilac goes a lovely warm brown in the light

March 19, 2013 at 6:45am     
Benjamin Moore colours in this tone
The last picture was to show you the effect of a feature fireplace as well
March 19, 2013 at 6:48am   
tnmommy3
Wow!! That looks just beautiful and it is my favorite color but I'm not sure my husband would like that in our family room!! What do you think about a dark brown or olive green??
March 19, 2013 at 6:54am   
Funny, I had to work on my client's husband for about a YEAR before he conceded!!! Now he admits it was a good move (reluctantly)
. I was trying to incorporate your cut glass and silver which looks so lovely with this colour.
Olives and browns work best with golds, so I feel that it would not enhance your collections but it is a lovely colour with your flooring
2004 Showcase
anne rue
March 19, 2013 at 7:03am   
Sieta Pfneisel
What about backing the shelving with a rich contrasting paper or fabric?
March 19, 2013 at 7:05am     
I like Sieta's idea but a word of warning - either go for backing the shelving OR a feature chimney wall - please don't do both: something has to be the focal point.
March 19, 2013 at 7:07am   
House of Fine Carpentry
I would suggest a nice art piece above your fireplace and some paneling around the room.
March 19, 2013 at 7:24am   
House of Fine Carpentry
You could also add some cabinet doors to the built ins.
March 19, 2013 at 7:25am   
tnmommy3
I'm thinking about doing only the back of the shelves. My husband might want to put a tv over the mantle. Thank you for the advice! I realized what you said about brown going with gold accents. What other color do u think would look good with silver? I don't see my husband agreeing with that lovely lilac!!! Thank u so much!
March 19, 2013 at 7:27am   
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Good morning,
Such a beautiful space with so much potential!
I had fun digitally decorating it for you!
Please post after pictures, I'mm excited to see your progress!
Caroline :)
March 19, 2013 at 7:54am     
The other colour that works well is taupe which has a grey undertone to it. which is what rawketgirl suggested!
Please check this on your wall for 24 hours before you commit to see the real colour come through because some taupes have a green or a pink undertone and if you don't catch it, you will only see that.

Please ignore the second image (it got added accidentally and now I cannot delete it):-(
March 19, 2013 at 7:58am     
Savvy Living Group
Good Morning, I am not sure what your final decision will be but I would like to give my two cents. First of all what a great space. I think it is always nice to back bookcases with a fun grasscloth to add some depth to the shelves. It is a fun way to add texture to a space + with the great fireplace you have a nice focal point. The grasscloth can be the same color as the wall or you can do a subtle color shift. Good luck with everything and have fun creating.
March 19, 2013 at 8:03am     
tnmommy3
Thank you, Caroline. What fun!! I love the chair and the big lamp! Also loving the accessories! Thank you!
March 19, 2013 at 8:15am     
Maureen Randall
I have been researching gray colors, cause I too, am interested in gray. And what I have found, is Benjamin Moore's Rever Pewter, is by far the most popular of all the grays. Found another of BM's colors is Tranquility. I am torn between this and Revere Pewter! I would pick a darker shade of gray for in between the shelves on your book cases, this color will pop with all your accessories you have. BTW, I am no pro, but I know what I like...best of luck to ya!
March 19, 2013 at 4:29pm   
Maureen Randall
Adding a pic of Tranquility for you! Hope you like it!
March 19, 2013 at 4:35pm   
tnmommy3
Thank you, Maureen! I'll definately look into those colors!
March 19, 2013 at 4:37pm   
Are these the colors you're talking about using in accessories? Tranquility would def work with them!

March 19, 2013 at 4:57pm   
tnmommy3
Yes! Specially the sea foam green! Love it!
March 19, 2013 at 5:00pm   
tnmommy3
Ok! I'm loving BM accessible beige for the walls. It has a slight tan/green in it and I'm thinking to do a darker green back of the shelves. I could use sea green accent pillows for the sofa. Would that look good with my Brazilian cherry hardwood flooring?
March 19, 2013 at 5:08pm   
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Your brazilian cherry hardwood and green(ish) walls will compliment each other as they are on opposite sides of the colour wheel.
What this means is they will intensify each other!
The walls will seem greener and the floors will seem "redder/oranger".
This is a dramatic colour scheme that creates an energetic space!
Sometimes it's a big surprise for people, but as long as you're aware of this and it's what you're going for, then you're good!
Caroline :)
March 20, 2013 at 5:49am   
tnmommy3
Thank you Caroline for the advice! I'm trying to create a 'Zen' space for my husband and myself. I have three kids all under age 6 and I suffer from fibromyalgia so my day is extremely hectic!! I'm looking for a paint color for the walls that would soothe my nerves:) I want to come home and relax! Like the feeling you get at a spa!! I know that shades of beige and green are known for that but choosing an exact color is difficult.
March 20, 2013 at 6:04am   
nancymessnick
I am going through the same process. Finding the right grey paint color is turning out to be more of a challenge than I imagined. I have bought sample cans of Benjamin Moore paints in 3 colors and I am going back with 2 more today. The first went too blue and I wanted a warm grey but no green in it.
Pretty certain Revere Pewter is going to win out. Post an "after" picture when you are done painting. Good Luck.
March 20, 2013 at 6:22am   
tnmommy3
Thanks, Nancy!! I've heard some good comments about rever pewter! Post some pics of your project too!! Good luck!
March 20, 2013 at 6:25am   
nancymessnick
Just posted a ? too. Has 2 photos of the great room.
March 20, 2013 at 6:42am   
Need help with family room - smaller room, big TV and fireplace
I can't figure out what furniture and/or how to arrange...
Please please please help me design my awkward family room!!
Hi! This is my very first time reading and posting...
Sunken family room - coffee table and fireplace mantel ideas please
Hi, I have a sunken family room in need of some help....
need help for fireplace and family room
The re are 2 walls with pecky cedar paneling circa...
Design challenge, planning around weight bearing walls.
Just purchased a new home and looking to redo the current...
Describe Scandinavian style in one word!
Scandi might be the darling look of 2014, it's BIG....
LED bulbs in Halo 6" can?
I have purchased some 6" Halo Remodel IC Recessed Light...
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...