OLLD 3/19
March 19, 2013 in Other
Good morning OLLD's! How is every little thing this morning? David, I see you were up late, burning the midnight oil!

Every muscle I own is screaming at me and telling me NO MORE!! Ah, sorry muscles, lots more today, and tomorrow too.

What do we all have planned for today? Did everyone see today's Ideabook about owning a dog? Best Ideabook since Becky's "Get It Done" series, and I wrote that in the comments, too.
creeser
Good morning bobbi! Aren't you just the energizer bunny? Wish I had half your energy!
We had a nasty storm pass through last night, but it should've washed all that thick layer of pollen off of everything so it was good.
Going to look for the owning a dog ideabook...
March 19, 2013 at 4:30AM     
Hi Creeser! Good suggestion on the closet/niche dilemma. What are your plans for today?
March 19, 2013 at 5:49AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Morning Bobbi and creeser.......and those sleepy heads wandering in later. Today is sitting with the youngest grandson this morning while his momma does her reading warrior thing at the local elementary school...........then as the temps warm up some, I will tackle the south end of the house. We have a space about 24" wide between the drive way and the house that we are infilling with random spaced broken up junks of a concrete walk we removed last fall..... will end up staining the concrete and infilling between the pavers with a ton of Pro Mix Soil that is sitting in the bed of my truck.

If the weather holds this weekend we'll plant some ground cover between the pavers.......maybe a Creeping Phlox or something along that line.............

Have to run.....BBL..............behave.
March 19, 2013 at 6:02AM     
STK! Good morning, and since you brought up sideyards and broken concrete......I have a question for you! Our sideyard is badly cracked concrete and we want to do something (cheap) with it without breaking it up. I have the idea of making a mosaic with broken pavers, doing it like tile with the mastic and grout. One color pavers, nice not tacky. What do you think? Would it work? Appreciate any thoughts you might have for me.
March 19, 2013 at 6:09AM   
olldroo
Morning all. Really have to get to bed, have had a stinker of a headache most of the day. I think it was because I had to starve for the blood test and I'm just not catching up.

Bobbi, get stuck into that yard - think of the exercise, what better way to drop a few pounds for the wedding. Lift things like you are doing weights - it will keep your body burning fat for hours afterwards and by the end of the week you WILL feel like a million dollars - trust me.
March 19, 2013 at 6:12AM     
olldroo
On the subject of dog ownership -

An older, tired-looking dog wandered into my yard. I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home and was well taken care of.

He calmly came over to me, I gave him a few pats on his head. He then followed me into my house, slowly walked down the hall, curled up in the corner and fell asleep.

An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.

The next day he was back, greeted me in my yard, walked inside and resumed his spot in the hall and again slept for about an hour. This continued off and on for several weeks.

Curious I pinned a note to his collar: 'I would like to find out who the owner of this wonderful sweet dog is and ask if you are aware that almost every afternoon your dog comes to my house for a nap.'

The next day he arrived for his nap, with a different note pinned to his collar:
'He lives in a home with a non stopping chatting wife, 6 children, 2 under the age of 3 - he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?
March 19, 2013 at 6:13AM     
Hi roo! Why the blood test? Fasting always gives me a headache too, then it takes all day to go away. Take two aspirin and get a good night sleep, ok?
March 19, 2013 at 6:13AM     
creeser
Good morning STK! bobbi, plans include errands and housework. My two favorite things! Notice the sarcasm dripping off that last statement? Thanks for the niche/closet pat! :) I've seen a couple of those and found one idea that I just love, but her area was too small. They put beaded wainscoting around the bottom of the closet, took the door off and added coat hooks on the wainscoting for book bags and little coats. Love it when people take advantage of every nook and cranny for something unique and functional.
roo, drink some orange juice as well. Helps build you back up. I suffered from heat exhaustion summer before last and still struggle doing too much in the heat. Juice seems to make me feel better faster.
March 19, 2013 at 6:20AM     
Creeser, the beaded wainscoting around the bottom half of the walls? Neat idea! Beadboard is so cool, and then I would add a tin ceiling, or faux tin ceiling. Awesome!

Did you know for dehydration Gatorade and beer work equally well??? Hmmmm.....

And I'd rather do housework today then more painting which is what I have in store for me!
March 19, 2013 at 6:23AM     
trasgorshek
I have a question for you ladies and gents. Is there any reason why a TV would turn on by itself in the middle of the night? I'm insistent on believing its some weird electrical thing. Really freaked me out. Any ideas!
March 19, 2013 at 6:34AM     
olldroo
Tras - Ghosts??
March 19, 2013 at 6:36AM     
trasgorshek
Ok, Roo!! That's not helpful!! I was freaked out enough. Why am I laughing so hard? Oh my. Please tell me its some electrical glitch and its happened before to someone you know!
March 19, 2013 at 6:38AM     
olldroo
Bobbi, I have to have a blood test every 6 months to keep tabs on my thyroid. Never had this happen before, maybe because I went shopping afterwards instead of coming straight home, but I was passing shops I needed so was saving time and petrol. Extra bonus too - I got the thermal blind for the kids' room and it just happened to be 40% off!!!

Kept myself well hydrated so that wasn't a problem, but when I got home I felt so awful I decided to nap it off - until the gardener arrived next door to mow the lawns and then BH decided he would oil some furniture and stink the house out. Couldn't understand why he copped an earful - naturally.

Creesy, pure fruit juice is actually dehydrating, you need to mix it with water to hydrate - I do at least 50/50.

Bobbi, could you get a little groundcover to pop in your cracks, there are quite a few that look like a grass but don't run beserk. Otherwise mix up some concrete, put some a coloured oxide in it and smooth it into and over the cracks to give a crazy effect.

[houzz=Carmel Highlands]

[houzz=St. Kilda project]
March 19, 2013 at 6:48AM     
trasgorshek
Ok, after a night off terrible sleep, I think I have it figured out. I researched online. We watched a movie ondemand before bed and I think we must have left the TV on. You know when you just let the credits run, we did that and I probably forgot to turn it of.. Then at 12:28 the regular cable came back on and lit the TV back up...Yup, that sounds pretty good to me!

Roo, why the blood work? What's going on?
March 19, 2013 at 6:49AM     
olldroo
Tras - what did you expect!!! I wonder if you might be having some power surges although they usually stuff up your appliances too. Does it happen often? I think I would be inclined to have an electrician check it out, the thought of electrical fires scares me. I assume you are leaving your TV on standby - turn it right off and save on power too.
March 19, 2013 at 6:50AM     
lisalovesquilts
Hi Tras, it sounds like an electrical glitch. Sometimes when we have a power outtage for some reason when it comes on if the tv hasn't been switched off properly it 'boots up' in some manner and tada you jump out of your pants! Also the alarm goes off too and it's the bomb, it would wake the dead. You have never seen a middle-age sprint like the one that alarm starts!
March 19, 2013 at 6:53AM   
TK, it could also be a power surge that turned your tv on. My parents used to replace their tv EVERY YEAR because my father was too stubborn to take my advice and buy a surge protector. One time they rented a movie, got a power surge and the VCR froze with the movie in it. It was a week before they got it repaired and had to pay a week's worth of late charges, THEN they bought a surge protector!
March 19, 2013 at 6:53AM     
Linda
I am buying the long awaited (since December 2011!) short sale house tomorrow so have to deal with the lawyer and the uncomprehensible text file sent to me with the closing costs. Then, off to the bank to arrange the wire transfer...lawyer says that new law is transactions over $50,000 require wires...whatever happened to certified checks? I'm getting really tired of all the hands looking for money from me every time we buy or sell a house...scads and scads of junk fees...why would I even buy title insurance????

Scams and scam artists and that includes most every lawyer and real estate agent I've ever met. I was just on craigslist looking for kitchen cabinets and appliances and saw a beautiful new-looking kitchen including appliances for $2500. I'm pretty certain that is a foreclosure theft where the homeowner thinks they ought to be able to sell anything inside the four walls of the house just because they purchased it. Nope, attach something to a house and it belongs to whoever owns the house...your mortgage company lent money on a complete habitable house and you don't have the right to steal from it....

Oh, then I have to go deal with my business partner and finish the shower tile job we did yesterday and he was thoroughly cranky and told me that I think too much. well, if he would have been listening to me, he would have heard me say that we were going to take off about 3.5 inches from the trim tile -- that much he heard. But, he stopped listening when I said that we were going to take off about an inch and a half from the bottom tile and then we'd cut the top tile to size when we got there. So, he took off all 3.5 inches from the bottom tile, and then we ended up with a 3/4 inch sliver at the top...and that's because I think too much??? Where was I when he cut that trim tile? At another job site to pick up a tool that wasn't even there...it was under a box not 20 feet from where he was standing.. I told him I was pretty sure it was at the site we were working at, but he "knew" it was at the other site. So, I got sent across town to pick up something I was certain wasn't there all because he was too lazy to do his own work....

Can you tell things are going absolutely fabulous here? I can't wait for spring!
March 19, 2013 at 6:53AM     
Roo, if our sideyard concrete was broken that well I would def do that. Unfortunately, it's not, it's just a mess. And after today it will be a painted mess (for now!).
March 19, 2013 at 6:54AM   
Linda, I just saw on this morning's news that Sacramento has become so popular houses are selling the same day they're listed! They're called Flash Sales!
March 19, 2013 at 6:56AM   
trasgorshek
Linda, you know when you just have one of those days where you want to throw your arms up because nothing seems to go right...that sounds like one of them. When I'm having one of those days and another thing goes wrong you will always hear me holler "Of course". Because it never seems to fail, when one thing goes wrong something else will be right behind it. It's like dominoes.

Geez, my poor kids are operating off of little sleep today. After that happened, I went upstairs and had them come into my bedroom to sleep. I couldn't make heads or tails out of it at 12:30 in the morning, I had literally just fallen asleep an hour ago so I was real groggy. My daughter is laughing at me now.
March 19, 2013 at 7:06AM     
olldroo
Bobbi, I don't know how the painting will stand up long term, especially if it gets a lot of traffic. You could always take to it with a hammer and chisel and make it a more organised mess or just put some holes here and there for some plantings. There are many groundcovers that are quite hardy to walk on and will cover the area quite quickly, so you can just trim it back to allow stepping stones and won't notice the crazing. Concrete does have a habit of crazing though, especially if it isn't very thick, sure you aren't just being tooooooo fussy?
March 19, 2013 at 7:22AM   
Roo, check online for a product called Pamela's for gluten free products. I don't know if they ship to Oz but they do make a good product.

I know the paint won't hold up long term, I'm ok with that, it's 'just for now'. And in the summer the temps on that part reach 50C so I doubt plantings will last long!
March 19, 2013 at 7:31AM   
roo, from nih.com : good news is:

Following a gluten-free diet heals the damage to the intestines and prevents further damage. This healing most often occurs within 3 - 6 months in children.
March 19, 2013 at 7:36AM     
olldroo
Thanks guys for the gluten free info. GS had to stay on the gluten until he had a colonoscopy done to assess the damage, which was considerable, but he couldn't wait to start on the gluten free and is really good at sticking to it. He is even loving his new body shape - is adamant he is developing a 6-pack. He is 15, so body is important now and it may take him a year to two to heal. We have so many gluten free products freely available in supermarkets here now, there has been so much demand, it is just as easy to buy as it is any other product. ALL brands of sausages and similar products are gluten free, and there is a large range of breads and biscuits. Some of the biscuits are really yummy. There are heaps of rice products too and even gluten free Easter Eggs. DD has pretty much swapped to a gluten free diet as she says she definitely feels a lot better on it and the kids are enjoying it too.
March 19, 2013 at 7:53AM   
mpoulsom
I love butterflies!
March 19, 2013 at 9:16AM   
mpoulsom
Well the sun is out again today after our little rain storms all day long yesterday! yippee! Plants have grown even more since Sunday. They have been watered and it's warming a little, so I imagine I will have a jungle soon.
Bob, did you say you are patching the cracks and then painting the concrete?
Tras, my tv has done that before...come on in the middle of the night. or it did, I should say...lol! Freaked me out too. I said it's the ghost that lives in the house though.
March 19, 2013 at 9:26AM   
No patch, they've already been patched and the patch cracked too. Just paint, and it's done! R is a madman!
March 19, 2013 at 9:43AM     
creeser
Tras, I still think you have ghosts.

Linda, the wire transfer, is that a state law or federal? We just closed on a piece of property and were given the option of getting paid via certified check or wire transfer. We opted for the transfer despite them charging us $25 to do it. Felt insulted they wanted to charge us to give us our money. I'm not happy with financial institutions at the moment, so that's reflecting there. As for all the other fees, is that not the truth!! We went through the HUD statement and we were nickel and dimed and fee-ed to death.
March 19, 2013 at 9:54AM     
creeser
MP, you had rain all day? We had nothing but cloudy skies until around 10:30 and then we had a horrible storm come through. I was hiding under the covers expecting it to take the roof off.
March 19, 2013 at 9:55AM   
I want to hide under my covers! I'm pooped!
March 19, 2013 at 10:15AM     
creeser
bobbi, me too and I have no reason to be. I'll make us a quilt tent in the living room and grab a bottle of wine. We'll pretend we're glamping and hide the rest of the day.
March 19, 2013 at 10:21AM     
mpoulsom
lol creesy! yes ma'am, it rained all day long and then last night around 6:30-7ish it turned into a full blown thunder and lightning show! That I liked...love thunder storms. Then it headed towards you. The storm storm.

Bob, I hope you and R get some rest on his vacation.....try to relax a little bit if possible. I know it's hard when you have him there and you have a plan, but plan on just stopping for at least a couple of days and enjoy your time off together.
March 19, 2013 at 10:58AM   
creeser
MP...and boy did it rain. My pomeranian and I just took a walk through what is becoming my garden. All that fresh tilled soil, we sank knee deep in the mud. Thank goodness the girl is coming to clean the floors tomorrow. Muddy paw prints all up and down the hall.
March 19, 2013 at 11:15AM   
creeser
bobbi, here is a photo of that closet I was talking about. It would look really, really good with a tin ceiling.
March 19, 2013 at 11:17AM     
creeser
Couple of photos my daughter had. The first is self explanatory and the second is a swing made from an old trampoline.
March 19, 2013 at 11:22AM     
mpoulsom
creesy, i saw this wood pallet furniture not long ago. great idea!!!! and i love the trampoline bed idea...wonderful!
March 19, 2013 at 11:28AM     
creeser
I have never seen it MP, but I'm glad I did. We have hundreds of pallets in behind the barn. This would be perfect for the porch. I'm sure babygirl is thinking Daddy is going to make one for her, but I'm going to ask first. She's got a hubby now, let HIM build it. *L*
March 19, 2013 at 11:33AM     
creeser
EZ, so do I. Looks like a perfect place for a summer reading day. There was another photo with 3 or 4 of them hung under a stand of trees. That would be really nice for large family gatherings. You could swing tired toddlers to sleep and use the netting to keep the bugs off of them.
March 19, 2013 at 11:39AM     
creeser
yes! Toddlers aren't the only ones the bugs like to bite.
March 19, 2013 at 11:41AM     
mpoulsom
and creesy there are ALWAYS people/companies giving away pallets on craigslist here...all the time it seems. i would have made some furniture for my deck for sure. the deck is not going to happen now, but i would have! :) well i say it's not going to happen, but if my stepdad can get some treated wood from the place he works, then maybe a little bit at a time.
March 19, 2013 at 12:36PM   
creeser
MP, I saw a photo once of a gazebo made out of pallets that had been pulled apart and the strips of wood used. It really turned out very nice. Do you think you could get a few treated pieces for underneath and use deconstructed pallets for the top?
March 19, 2013 at 1:08PM   
mpoulsom
perhaps.....the stepdad works at a place where they actually do the treating of the wood that is sold to home depot etc. I went to mal's house one day and saw these 4x6 posts of treated wood that were a couple of feet long each. Asked where she got them. thought they were leftovers from her porch roof project...but then told me that joey had snagged them from work. they were going to toss them. they are perfect for what i needed for deck posts. i'm hoping he can get some more. I only want the deck to be about a foot tall from patio, like one step up. The deck plan is only about a 12x12 area. i figured i could buy a few boards at a time and keep my eyeballs open for materials on craigslist. Right now I just can't think about spending any money on anything at the house right now. sucks, but i'll just have to wait. i think the pallet wood is too thin and not strong enough for a deck....maybe one day i'll make it happen. :)
March 19, 2013 at 1:26PM     
S. Thomas Kutch
bobbi if you're going to paint the concrete, wash it with a pressure washer first, If it's badly stained with oil or such, you might need to use a spot degreaser first.......I've found that Dawn dishwashing soap does wonders and won't harm the grass or plants...........once you get it cleaned, then you want an elastomeric type concrete paint, especially if it gets a lot of sun as concrete does expand and contract.....thus the cracks, which also could have been caused by an improper prepared base.......I would stay away from the mosaic idea......if you're getting cracks now, it would just be a matter of time before the mosaic cracks and started coming up. Then not only would you have cracks, you would have little craters............

Trasgorshek..... I'm going with the spirits (they don't like to be called ghost). My first wife and I had a spirit in our home in NC. I was sitting at my drafting table one night and thought I saw my wife walk into the kitchen. When I followed her in, she wasn't there when I got in there.......called out for her and she was in the bedroom and came down the hall. I asked her if she had been in the kitchen and she said no...... okay, I thought, I'm more tired than I though. A couple of nights latter we had just gotten into bed when we heard someone in the kitchen. Thinking my daughter had gotten up and gone in there to get a glass of water, I went to check...............every cabinet door was wide open and there were 2 plates set out on the kitchen table. My wife had gone to check on my daughter and came into the kitchen to tell me that she was sound asleep in her bed as was my son.......when she saw the cabinet doors, we just looked at each other. Several weeks later, we came home from church on Sunday morning to find the cabinet doors open again and this time everything in them had been set out on the kitchen table. It wasn't long after that we learned that our house had been built on the site of an old tobacco plantation manor house and the farmer had killed his wife one morning in the cookery thinking she was cheating on him. After a few more incidents where we found cabinet doors opened or some odd item placed on the table, we finally spoke to her presence and told her we knew that she had been wrongly accused and murdered by her drunken husband and blessed her. After that there was never another incident. That Spring an old climbing rose bush on the side of an old well house that was originally part of the plantation and on the neighbor's property bloomed...... the neighbor was all excited because it hadn't bloomed in over 20 some years...... which was just about the time that what was left of the old plantation manor house had been torn down. I think spirits turning on your TV is more fun than just leaving it on after some pay per view movie.............
March 19, 2013 at 2:37PM     
mpoulsom
oh STK...I love your spirit story! wonderful!!!!!

p.s. bob and R are probably done with the concrete already....they are like tazmanian devils when it comes to working on that house. ;)
March 19, 2013 at 3:17PM     
Creeser, I may join you under your tent! I love that closet, too.

MP, there's no rest for the wicked.

STK, we pressure washed it yesterday and gave it overnight to dry. The air is really dry here so that wasn't a problem. The problem is rain is predicted for tonight and the next 2 days! We shall see..... I love your ghost story! But I don't want one, thanks anyway.

Ok! So today.....we painted the sideyard; last coat of paint on exterior trim; last of the fence which I thought was done yesterday; last wall painted in Rocky's room and half the floor washed and polished; replaced the 80's fluorescent kitchen light with a 2013 fluorescent kitchen light, whatever; replaced the first of two boob lights. And assorted other small things. I think we're just about halfway done! Woo Hoo!!!

Everyone have a good night if I don't talk to you again :))
March 19, 2013 at 3:31PM     
olldcan
MP, if the pallets are sprayed green or blue or clearly marked CHEP or DEPOSIT they are made of hardwood, so they'll be more than strong enough. They usually have a $50. deposit. If the pallets are a blond natural wood they are graded S.P.F. spruce/pine/fir any one of the three or a combination of all three species. These don't have a deposit and are considered garbage after they product they were loaded with, meets it's last destination. Unfortunately, I don't know what to believe, some say these will not be good for exterior use for the most part, unless you treat the heck out of them. Others say they are sprayed with fungicides and every other side you can imagine, so they'll be fine for outside. I don't like the ones with spiral nails, there a real B to take apart, the straight nails are much easier. Just remember heavy pallets are actually hardwood and the blond are soft woods and very light weight in comparison, neither is a grade #1. The S.P.F boards are probably 3/4" thick, you could use them but would need your stringers closer together, which means in the end you'd need more stringers.......but they might make a good base somehow.

Creeser, I love that pallet furniture, have any plans?..... hmm there's a sunglasses distributor a few business down from ours. They're always looking to get rid of there HUGE stack of pallets.....love this idea and need new hahahaha outdoor furniture, THANKS :)

Tras, I'm going with the ghosts, for sure!!!!! The next time it happens, ask them to shut the TV off and tell them, there only allowed to watch when your not home.....after all, who's paying the cable bill :)
March 19, 2013 at 5:31PM     
olldcan
MP, forgot to mention that, I found 25 sheets of glass to make my deck railing in what was called, at the time "The Bargain Finder Press". LOL the days before kijiji and craigslist. I paid 10 bucks a sheet for the 1/4" thick tempered glass. Each piece would have ran me $160.-$175. so the savings was HUGE :) Keep your eyes open, you never know what you might come across. Do you have an Architectural Clearing House........ Crazee...... so I know of someone who came home from work to find a local home improvement store had dropped off a deck package on there driveway.....3 calls to them to come pick it up and it was still sitting there....hahaha the neighbour had a real nice deck later that summer and the store never called back or came to pick it up.
March 19, 2013 at 5:41PM     
It was miserable here today, but the girls went to the movies anyway and saw Silver Linings Playbook. Have you seen it? At first I thought this is absolutely the most depressing movie I have ever seen and then BAM! It became one of the most fabulous movies I have ever seen.

Then we went to this wonderful pub, in the basement of a MANSION former monastery for a drink and apps, which were more than a supper and delicious. I had the fish tacos,,,,a ten.

Looking at overstock.com today for rugs. They do have some fabulous buys. http://www.oceanedge.com/dining/bayzos-pub.cfm
March 19, 2013 at 6:40PM     
trasgorshek
I'm positive now that it was the TV kicking in after the movie, even though it was hours later...?? But we (I say we, it was more like my son with me popping in and out) watched Guardians again today then left. When we came back from being out a few hours the TV was on again, I forgot to shut it off a second time. The screen goes black so in my negligence I'm assuming it's off. But, I can sure as heck tell you if it happens again tonight (after I'm 100% positive I turned it off) we are out the door.

STK, I loved your spirit story. My mom and dad have one as well, have for years. She loves to mess with them all the time. One time my dad had a snickers bar he was getting ready to eat, sat it down on the dinning room table while he went and got his book. Returned and it was gone. He searched all over for it but couldn't find it. Gave up, sat down on the couch and started reading. Then when he took a break from the book, the candy bar was sitting on the floor right in front of him. Another time she took one of his books and hid it under the trash bag in the can so when my dad took the bag out he finally found the book he had been looking for for two days. Mom believes it's our Aunt Lou that passed away years ago. I don't believe it is because I can't think of a reason my Aunt would still be around but I just agree with mom. You can feel it in their home, that's why I don't believe it is. But it keeps my mom from fear so I go along. There are a thousand more stories.

Mom and Dad still live in the same home I grew up in. I had to share a room with my two sisters for years. One time I woke up in the middle of the nigh, looked over to the closet door and there was a young woman standing there. She walked over to my oldest sister and looked over her like she was waiting for her to wake up. I assumed it was one of my sisters friends that had somehow come into our home. But then she walked back to the closet door and just stood there with her arms closed. I wanted to scream but I was scared to death after I realized she wasn't going anywhere. I kept nudging and pinching my middle sister (who I had to share a bed with) but all she did was moan and roll around. She wouldn't wake up. I did this for what seemed like hours till finally the girl was gone. I told my family the next day and they said I was imagining things. But now, when they bring it up, they completely believe me. Funny thing was my sister remembered something pinching her in her sleep, so they knew I had not dream it.

Judy, try www.rugstudio.com also, they have some pretty good deals from time to time. Plus, I think if you sign up for emails then you get 20% off...I think, it's been awhile, not 100% sure that's how it worked.
March 19, 2013 at 7:12PM     
astraea
This is a quick "Hi .. bye!" I'm out all day Tuesday & Wednesday, at a "lifelong learning" event, at the local community college .. great for retirees. I've been trying to catch up on all my e-mail since I got home, then got a call that a cousin passed away .. so I got busy ordering flowers & passing the word. Nighty-night .. miss you guys!
March 19, 2013 at 7:12PM     
trasgorshek
I'm so sorry Astraea!!
March 19, 2013 at 7:14PM     
Girls, and roosters, you have to come to Cape Cod, sometime. I will find you housing. Two can stay here with us, and 6 at my daughter's cottage. That's 8. And if feeny visits her in-laws which is only a hop and a skip away from me, there is 10. Keep it in mind.
roo, it will probably take you more than 24 hours to get here, but, so what?
March 19, 2013 at 7:16PM     
astraea
Thanks Tras! We have a lot of longevity in the family, but people are rarely ready for the inevitable with family members.
March 19, 2013 at 7:29PM     
Astraea, my condolences.
March 19, 2013 at 7:29PM   
trasgorshek
Oh, geez, don't say that Judy. I'll be knocking on your door in a second. I have always wanted to visit the north east. I've been south, midwest, west, southwest but not northeast and I truly feel it's where I'm supposed to be. Don't ask me why... because I have no clue. It has just always called to me. I would love to start with Portland, Maine and work my way down.
March 19, 2013 at 7:29PM     
olldcan
Sorry to hear that Astraea, my most sincere condolences to you and your family.
March 19, 2013 at 7:42PM   
olldcan
judyg, another road trip in my one seater? Just when my hiney started to recover!!! hahaha

thats the link for bayzos pub
March 19, 2013 at 7:45PM   
tras, mp loves Maine, too. You can work your way all the way down the coast. Come in Sept/Oct. It is beautiful then and the summer crowds are gone. Going to the rug website now. Thanx.
March 19, 2013 at 7:49PM   
can, your oneseater will make it. That's the pub where we had supper tonight. The entire complex is amazing. All ocean front.
March 19, 2013 at 7:59PM   
trasgorshek
One year I tried to get a time share slot in Portland during October just so I could come see the foliage. They were booked solid. This was years ago when it was just my daughter and I, she was around 7 at the time.
March 19, 2013 at 7:59PM   
trasgorshek
Judy, you are making me so envious!! :) I'm an ocean girl, without a doubt. The website takes me back to so many wonderful places my hubby has taken me in the past. But, these days, I can honestly say I'm lucky if I see the inside of an Outback or a Red Robbin. LOL
March 19, 2013 at 8:05PM     
Nite, all, God Bless, Astraea.
March 19, 2013 at 8:09PM     
olldroo
Sorry to hear about your cousin Astraea. Goodness your days are full, you are starting to wear me out more than Bobbi.

Ez thank for the celiac tips, you certainly are a walking encyclopaedia. Meds don't surprise me at all but fortunately GS rarely takes anything, although he does have a powdered supplement each morning. I have copied and pasted your comment to a word doc so I can relay the info to dd. I wonder if she has thought about things like toothpaste, etc. I certainly wouldn't have. His villi were so damaged, they were pretty much non existent but will regrow fortunately.

He has stopped all dairy but not sure if he is substituting it with anything. He is also being very upfront with family and demanding his needs be acknowledged and catered to - not easy when dad and extended family are all Italian. He has been living mostly with his father and things are going downhill there so is now accepting things with dd and is spending a lot more time with her and her new partner and dd is really pandering to him, where with dad he is very much on his own.

I'm assuming they have a regular Chemist and ours are pretty good, if they know you have an issue like this they note their computer to warn them before they dispense any meds.
March 19, 2013 at 8:25PM   
olldroo
Bobbi - you have just confirmed you are totally CRAZY!!!!
March 19, 2013 at 8:30PM     
March 19, 2013 at 8:34PM   
Linda
roo - very apt reply
March 19, 2013 at 10:39PM     
olldroo
I thought the other one might have started something.
March 19, 2013 at 10:42PM   
olldroo
They are out in force today - anyone seen or heard of this ??

We all know that one of the biggest things that motivates people is money and that unfortunately all too often is costs more to go green. A great exception is the Hand Held Bidet Sprayer. It almost eliminates the need for toilet paper, offers vastly superior cleaning, convenience and in addition has many health benefits. Ideal for the smaller bathroom as it takes up no additional space and requires no additional plumbing or electrical. The Bidet Sprayer will pay for itself many times over in toilet paper savings which makes this a very smart and green thing to do. Available at www.bathroomsprayers.com .
March 19, 2013 at 10:56PM     
Roo! I'm not crazy! But I'm approaching exhausted, that's for sure. We're about halfway done, way ahead of schedule so that's good. Has BH left for LA yet? Or was he going somewhere else first, I can't remember.

I'll open 3/20 if no one else already has.
March 20, 2013 at 2:24AM   
astraea
Roo - I remember that kitchen/great room with the wooden ceiling grid design; I wish they'd date their articles .. either this discussion resurrected itself, or they published the article again. I agreed with onthefence .. my motto, "form follows function". I don't need anything to collect dust on the ceiling!
March 20, 2013 at 3:16AM     
olldroo
Astraea it is the spider webs here that drive me nuts. I think sometimes people are just wandering through looking for things and find these idea books. You can tell how old they are by how old the comments are. I think I found one once and made a comment and then noticed the last one had been made 18 months earlier. I now check that out. I have also taken to unsubscribing from a lot after a reasonable period of time when things just start going round in circles or people will raise things that I can't help with - usually product information.
March 20, 2013 at 4:36AM   
creeser
Astraea, I'm so sorry for your loss. I always think of my cousins as we were as kids and can never quite see them as adults.

olldcan, I do have plans for those pallets if I can get a promise from husband to make them for me before my daughter starts whining to him. She's threatening to tell him the grands want it. I told her they want it at GRANDMA'S house. Game on!

Weird story hinging on the ghost story and y'all tell me if you've ever seen anything like this. One summer weekend, we had just had a storm blow through. It had passed and it was starting to clear and we were all in the living room watching tv. Hubby and I were on the couch facing the hall. Suddenly, this "ball" came out of the hall wall that backed to the bathroom. It looked like one of those science project lightning balls. The kind you put your hands on and lightning is generated on the inside. It hovered where it came out for a couple of seconds then shot down the hallway to the office. I looked at my husband and asked him if he saw that. He said he sure did, what was it? We tiptoed to the hall and down to the office and nothing. I checked outlets and light fixtures for burn marks in case it was something like ball lightning... nothing. Any thoughts on what this might have been?
March 20, 2013 at 4:51AM     
astraea
Roo - The only reason I was on that article, was that it was included in TODAY's "This Week on Houzz" e-mail! So if it was old, it just proves our feelings that they're recycling & getting repetitive.

Creeser - This was actually my Mom's first cousin, and she hadn't seen him since they were kids. But when we moved to NJ in '79, we started getting together with them regularly. And once my Mom died & then my aunt, I just became "part of their family", spending all the holidays with them. He had a good life; 4 children now adults with children of their own .. married 60+ years.

You lighting story reminds me of a story my family told; happened before I was born. When the family lived in Brooklyn, the house was "shotgun style, with a straight path from the front door thru foyers & hallways, and thru the kitchen to the back door. In the pre-air conditioning summers, they'd open both the front & back door, to get a nice breeze going thru. Apparently one summer there was an electrical storm, but without rain they didn't bother closing the doors. The only thing in the path was the door to the basement, which someone had accidentally left open. They were eating dinner in the kitchen, when a "hoop" of lightening came thru from the back of the house, heading towards the front! It "rolled" along, with everyone sitting transfixed at the table, brushing against the basement door as it went, then out the front door. I was told the door had been burned slightly, but was painted over by the time I lived there.
March 20, 2013 at 5:05AM     
creeser
Astraea, it's nice you got to be part of the family and no matter how old they are, it still feels 'too soon'.

Re: hoop lightning. Despite the storm having passed, that's what we thought it might be. Some form of ball lightning, but there were no burn marks on the wall it came through or anywhere else like it made on your basement door. Lightning would have to leave a burn mark, right?
March 20, 2013 at 5:13AM     
olldroo
Gosh, I'd rather have everyone's ghosts than that. Scary!!!!!

Haven't seen this week's Houzz email, I am way behind, but I am finding a lot of things lately just don't interest me. Maybe because I already have so much of what I want out of here, I'm contented to stop looking. There was a great piece on storing kids' bath toys recently that I sent my dd. She was very impressed with that.
March 20, 2013 at 5:15AM     
astraea
Creesr - I'm not sure. It's my guess that lighting may have a "field" of charged particles around it, that may keep it away from stationary objects .. unless they're in the direct path.
March 20, 2013 at 5:31AM   
creeser
Astraea, right, but it came 'through' the bathroom wall initially. There's an outlet on the hall side of that wall (nothing on the bathroom side) below where the ball came out of the wall. No burn marks on that wall or the outlet and the outlet functions. Once it went down the hall, it would have to go out somewhere, wouldn't it? Love that you're an engineer and can go through that engineer thought process..*L*
March 20, 2013 at 6:27AM     
lisalovesquilts
Astraea my condolences. No matter the age of the person it can still be unexpected.
March 20, 2013 at 7:17AM   
olldcan
Some orbs are definitely energy, and energy is spirit. However, no one knows what this energy is, for sure. Plasma balls of light or ghost lights (orbs) have been proven to be electrically charged. Sometimes, orbs can appear in colors, such as blue, green, red, etc. Creesy, did it have any color? the ball or shall I say orb, is in your court!!
March 20, 2013 at 7:22AM   
creeser
Lisa, that is very true. My Grandmother passed about 3 years ago at 99. She was in such good health, that we were actually shocked.

olldcan, the outer edge of the bubble part just looked shadowed, but the electrical current inside looked yellow/white like you see in most lightning photos. Lobbing that orb right back into your court! :) It was about the size of a frisbee or a little smaller. Definitely larger than a softball, though.
March 20, 2013 at 7:30AM     
creeser
Ez, absolutely they will. And imagine the grease getting into that dropped ceiling lattice making the dust hang down like cobwebs. It would be a booger to clean.
March 20, 2013 at 7:31AM     
olldcan
As with most things paranormal, much of the info one may choose to incorporate into their own beliefs is their personal ideology. I don't think there's a way to prove with 100% certainty, what a spirit orb size and color truly mean. I do believe orbs are spheres of some type of energy.

Here's a list I pulled off the internet, the general consensus is referring to what the color means.
These include, but aren't limited to:

Black: Malevolent
Blue (dark): Shy spirit
Blue (light): Tranquil, peace
Blue (medium): Protection
Brown: Danger or earthbound
Gold: Angelic, unconditional love
Green: Healing orb or spirit
Lavender: Messenger from God
Orange: Protection, forgiveness
Peach: Spirit sent to comfort you
Pink: Accepting spirit
Purple: Orb of information
Red: Anger or passion
Silver: Messenger
Violet: Guide for spiritual matters
White: Protection of holy light and power
Yellow: Warning
March 20, 2013 at 7:48AM     
creeser
Since the little 'lightning bolts' were in the white, yellow, gold hue, I will consider it something good just passing through, but warning us to stay out of it's way. I still don't think I would pass this info on when we finish updating and go to sell it. *L*
March 20, 2013 at 7:52AM     
olldcan
On occasion I would get off work really late. Sometimes midnight, 2am and even later or you might say earlier. Anyway, I'm driving down the highway, there's no traffic, nobody around but me. This pink, foggy like thing, catches my attention in the rearview mirror as it whisks by. What the heck did I just see in the rearview mirror? It's definitely not outside of my vehicle because the windows are tinted dark and there is no way the color can be that vivid though the tint. It's not inside my vehicle cause, now I can't see. Totally freaked me out, and to this day, when I drive on that highway through the ravine I get goosebumps.
March 20, 2013 at 7:59AM   
olldcan
Yup, I'd go with that too. I would not pass the info on either. I think it's (spirit/energy/whatever) is all around us everyday but ones ability to see, or not to see divides us into sceptics and believers. Now, I have experienced enough to make me realize, were not the only things traipsing around this earth BUT I'm not lighting candles, sitting in the dark talking to spirit through a Ouiji board either....just saying. AND I'll admit, I do enjoy watching Theresa on Long Island Medium.
March 20, 2013 at 8:10AM     
creeser
Olldcan, neither am I. I think we don't see because we aren't supposed to see. There's a very good reason. And I'm good with that! *L*
March 20, 2013 at 9:51AM     
olldroo
Phew, I'm glad this day is over, you guys are getting way too deep for me.

Astraea I really must try to catch up on my Houzz updates. I am suddenly getting emails about posts that haven't seen the light of day for absolute months. Must be doing reruns. Maybe the ratings period is over - heehee.
March 20, 2013 at 3:45PM   
astraea
Creeser/Can – I’m not sure my engineering background factors into a discussion about lightning or things that go thru walls! (LOL) You must have good genes in your family! I have another good lightning story for you. We had a fairly large backyard, for a city home in Brooklyn, and towards the back there was a dry well where water was supposed to drain away from the house. The area was also dug out, but got silted back in over time. One time in a storm with lightening & thunder, we started getting water backed up into the basement. Mom grabbed the pitchfork, to dig out the hole in the backyard .. a pitchfork my grandfather made .. the forked bottom screwed into a length of metal pipe .. all steel. Mom dug away at the hard earth for a while, in the pouring rain, until she developed a blister on her hand. She stuck the pitchfork into the ground, and stopped to look at her palm .. and that’s just when lightning struck the pitchfork! We looked at each other, and to us it was just a sign that you have to have faith, because you have no control over when something like that can happen to you!

Lisa – Thank you!

Roo - By the time I sat down at the computer at 9:30 this evening, I had 133 notifications from Houzz accumulated!!
March 20, 2013 at 7:06PM     
olldroo
Astraea - I'm stopping notifications on all these old ones, even any new ones that are just going way too long and achieving nothing. Just getting totally out of control otherwise.
March 20, 2013 at 11:28PM   
creeser
Astraea, it's the engineering thought process. When my son was in college, he was struggling with one of his classes (he's a civil engineer). One of his aunts asked about it, and she told him she had struggled with certain ones as well (she's an electrical engineer), but just keep in mind that what they are teaching is the engineering thought process. How to work your way through a problem. Really made more sense to my son and helped him through the rest of his classes knowing what they were trying to get across.
March 21, 2013 at 4:30AM     
astraea
Roo - Me too. Especially when you read a new post, and the person is asking the same question asked at least 2 or 3 times before in the beginning. Some people don't seem to read any of the old posts, before writing something themselves.
March 21, 2013 at 4:30AM     
OLLD 6/19
Morning all! It's 4 AM and I've already been up for...
OLLD 10/19
It's the weekend, I know we're all busy, but check...
OLLD 9/19
Morning ladies........we gots some sleepy heads this...
OLLD 8/19
Hi everyone, Happy Monday Morning. What's happening...
OLLD 12/19
Good morning gloriously grays!
need help with hallway transition to master bath
this hallway and my master bath both had ugly 80's...
what type of kitchen sink to buy
need help with which material is best for a kitchen...
Help! Family room is a hot mess.
I am looking for some ideas to update this family room....
Shower floor 12x12 tile
We are redoing a shower and we only have 12x12 tile....
what kind of window is this called?
I have 2 stained glass windows in our house that are...