Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetcheeks82

Help with small kitchen please

sweetcheeks82
11 years ago
Please help. My kitchen had no draws, limited cupboard and workspace. How can I maximise the space I have? What could I put on the left? Thanks

Comments (14)

• rinked
    11 years ago
    Pictures please? (jpg)
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Without pictures hard to tell but perhaps lots of shelves
    NW 13th Avenue Loft · More Info
  • sweetcheeks82
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry bout reposting. Here's my small kitchen
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Thanks sweetcheeks
    From this image can you fit something like a tall cupboard immediately next to the door as you enter.
    Then you can perhaps put some long open shelves opposite the cabinets (so you don't hit your head) as I posted in the picture above. Hard to tell but you can let us know if that would work.

For a workspace, you could create a drop down table from the wall (beneath the open shelves) that you could use to work on when cooking or even for eating.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    ASVInteriors, has a really great idea for that space.
  • sweetcheeks82
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks, great ideas. The picture is actually taken coming through the door. The fridge is in an extra little part.
    any ideas on the tall cupboard, i'm useless and cant find anything. thanks
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    If you have the room in the remainder of your home, perhaps you could find an interesting armoire/cabinet that sets just outside your kitchen in the adjacent room, that you can use for overflow kitchen storage. It could be a pantry, it could be for large pieces such as platters, pots and pans, it could be for canned goods, and/or linens, but to the unknowing eye, your guests, it would just look like a beautiful cabinet.

Sometimes you can find a very inexpensive one, but you do not care for the finish, and you could just paint it, as is so popular right now. A color of your living room decor, or, because your space small, you might paint it a little deeper version of the kitchen sink. You may or may not like the kitchen sink, but might be surprised how much nicer it would look when you raise it's relative importance with a friendly bonding piece of furniture.
  • sweetcheeks82
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks mary. there is a bit of space where the fridge is. yes, ideas ideas, thanks
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    For a clever solution try IKEA billy with cupboards doors. They come in tall, medium and low versions. They also do shelving. www.IKEA.com.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    As you have a small kitchen and there is black in your kitchen, you might consider painting the wall you are looking at going to the back porch a soft medium gray.

The black of the mat speaks to all of the black accents of you appliances and brings the eye around the room in an artful way.

Then on the wall across from the sink, you might find an interesting wooden towel hanger, or piece that could be by adding pegs for your towels.

Look for black and white kitchen towels, a damask one or stitch a black ribbon on a white towel. Just like your guest bathroom, you could have your every day towels hanging with your nicer towels, that sometimes get used.

Go to a thrift shop and buy a large frame, at least 18 x 24 and paint it a medium to deep gray. Finda a black and white print (it can be a fun family photograph or vacation picture) or a black an white drawing. Go to a picture framer and have them cut a pink/coral mat (whatever the sink color is, but perhaps lighter) with a second mat that is underneather which will be a 1/4" black mat. And hang that above the towels
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I actually want you to look at the shelf on this one so roll your cursor over the image to see.

Alaterra Shaker Cottage Bench and Coat Rack Set · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Wall Coat Hangers also serve as Floating Shelf · More Info

This one does not extend into the room as far, but you get the idea.
  • sweetcheeks82
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thats so cool, thanks