my granite countertops will be 1/4'' lower than laminte
googoomom
Installers are telling me to get new backsplash!! What to do?
PH Interiors, LLC
What is your current backsplash? If it's tile, I don't see why you couldn't install a trim tile to cover the gap. Need more info to answer your question.
March 19, 2013 at 10:42AM   
Grace Reed
I think the granite experts will weigh in here because this is a common problem. One option is to have the granite "built up". Tell us more about the backsplash. What is the material and height? Pictures would be really helpful.
March 19, 2013 at 10:44AM   
Kathleen Amatangelo
They can ALWAYS raise the granite with a 1/4" of wood base under the granite, you may need a small trim piece of wood to match the wood, or a lip over it made from the granite. Are they just trying to sell you more?
March 19, 2013 at 10:49AM   
googoomom
Thanks for the quick responses. Right now I have laminate, with 4" tile backsplash. The granite is 3 cm and they said it will leave about a 1/4 gap. I hate pulling out the tile, it will match the granite, but I can't live with 1/4" grout line. Also, I don't know if they will rip out these counters and break some of the tiles!!
It's an easy $1,000 backsplash job with demo & new tiles and installation....didn't expect this expense.
March 19, 2013 at 10:52AM   
googoomom
Just measured granite sample: 3 cm, measured current countertops: 4 cm!! That's almost a 1/2" difference to the tiles on backsplash.
March 19, 2013 at 11:09AM   
0825sam
If you haven't already, if you google this problem you will find some discussions/solutions.
Does you current backsplash have any coordinating bullnose pieces, pencil moldings, accent tiles you could add in to fill in the gap?
March 19, 2013 at 11:20AM     
Grace Reed
Why don't you start by finding out if the granite fabricator will build up the top and the cost? If not, you have nothing to loose by having the top installed. If the tile doesn't survive, you'll know it needs to be replaced. Your options are wide open then. If the tile does survive, i had the same thoughts as Sam. Don't worry; I'm sure there's an affordable solution that you'll be happy with!
March 19, 2013 at 11:39AM   
googoomom
My tile is Gray Mist, and the Granite will be Brazilian Black...I have white cabinets, so I can go in a lot of different directions. If I save the backsplash then I canI splurge on some accent tiles! Thanks for the help.
I Google all day on this stuff, but I have to see, I guess, what happens when they rip out the laminate. Who says life is dull??
March 19, 2013 at 12:24PM   
Grace Reed
That's for sure!
March 19, 2013 at 12:35PM   
Small bathroom tile help needed!
Were doing our bathroom at the moment & have bought...
How to blend in VINYL window frame colors?
I have a great room with wood clad 14' cathedral ceilings...
Window treatments
Purchased a house with kitchen and dining windows in...
What do you think of folding screens in the living room?
What do you think of using folding screens in the living...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...