Too much espresso furniture?
iumylime
i'd like to replace 1 of my desk in a shared home office. all the furniture is espresso, brown/black. The desk that i've fallen in love with is a beautiful lacquer white.

My question is- can i pull off a white desk, or do i need to keep the same theme going? will a white desk look mismatched and out of place? Will another black piece look more cohesive or be too "matchy-matchy"?

the desk that i want to get:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/spotlight-white-58-desk/f37152
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/spotlight-ebony-58-desk/s256385

i also plan on getting a matching credenza: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/spotlight-ebony-credenza/s186514?rv=Furniture%3aHome+Office+Furniture%3aDesks%3aSpotlight+Ebony+58%22+Desk+SKU+256385+Product+Page

p.s. i plan on painting the walls either a neutral gray or a neutral beige...
ReMax - Lisa
No reason that you can add the white desk, but In order for it not to look junky, I'd suggest you get taller bookcases, such as ikea billy bookcases to get some stuff off the floor and out of the clear crates. If you get 3-4 tall shelving units, they can hold all your stuff as well as some decorative pieces making that wall a focal point.
March 19, 2013 at 1:39pm     
Lynne Forrestal
I am not a designer so this is just my opinion.... I think mixing the black white would look good as long as you don't keep all the black in one area and the white in another, mix it up some...most importantly, do a floor layout first so you get the right sized pieces that fit the space well and I suggest lots of CLOSED storage , maybe need larger than the one you have in mind. I am in process of decluttering my office and it's a process, before redoing it. It looks like you use lots of binders, or 3 ring notebooks? make them all the same colors, then get a labeler to label neatly, that will do wonders for removing visual clutter and still have it handy. If possible , keep some Open space on shelves for a decorative item or two, perhaps with an accent color... black white and gray gives you tons of options!
March 19, 2013 at 1:46pm   
A Crew of Two
The desk is great! Definitely gray walls. The only thing you need is to define the spaces better. Make each work area stand on it's own. Some pops of yellow and green to warm up the space.
March 19, 2013 at 1:47pm   
Lynne Forrestal
Do some measuring, maybe you could get a credenza ( closed storage) and sit the book cases you have on top of it? saving some money.... Im always big at reusing and trying alternative uses for things... or hang the book cases horizontally on the wall for storage? depending on the design of the book case, that can work.
March 19, 2013 at 1:48pm   
Lynne Forrestal
With white black and gray, you can use ANY color to pop! brights work well, corals? what's you favorite color?s.... Make it your own
March 19, 2013 at 1:50pm   
iumylime
i really like the idea of getting taller bookshelves, and yes- i hate the plastic bin thing. that needs to go!
March 19, 2013 at 4:53pm   
Interiors International, Inc.
I really like the idea of the white desk much more than another dark one.
March 19, 2013 at 4:56pm   
too much furniture in small space
Looking for a better way to make more room..... very...
Too much dark mahogony furniture in my bedroom
I need to get 2 nightstands for my bedroom, but I don't...
Too much furniture!!!!!
A second marriage-combining two households and inheriting...
Red wall w red furniture? Too much?
Hello all! So below is the red furniture that I want...
Niches in foyer.
Recently moved in and can't figure out what to do with...
Please help me decorate
This old kitchen. Any advice? We are renting so I cannot...
Painting and wall stamps
Hi everyone What a lovely experience I've had on houzz...
What colour should I paint the door
I want to paint my door. The stucco is green and all...
Should we paint interior doors in newly painted paneled den?
We are in the process of priming our paneled den to...