Kitchen rehab help
theabsinaz
We're buying an existing Santa Barbara/Spanish colonial style home with a kitchen in need of a little (lot of) updating. Any thoughts? I'm leaning more toward the Santa Barbara style, so thinking fresh green hue cabinets with a bigger island like the picture attached, but I'm not sure. Should i just add beadboard to the middle of each door & paint? Never had painted cabinets before - will that hurt resale value later?
REJP Interiors
Your inspiration is beautiful! But trying to re-panel and paint your cabinets is going to be difficult, time-consuming and not inexpensive. You'd be better off getting you cabinets re-faced by a professional re-facing company. This is not usually something I recommend if the cabinet boxes themselves are not in great shape, but it can work. Check out the company's warranty policy before signing.
Crown molding and new countertops will go a long way in the space too. And then a tumbled travertine backsplash. From the picture, the floor doesn't look too bad!
Good luck and have fun!
March 19, 2013 at 9:08pm   
Green will be perfect. I agree that you ought to investigate refacing unless you are ready for a three month project. Also, shop rustic furniture that can be used as an island with a larger top and turned legs from the local architectural salvage. You can do that in green or contrast that in black rubbed edge.
March 19, 2013 at 9:15pm   
Talianko Design Group, LLC
Hi there!

What a great opportunity for you. I love your inspiration photo. Are the current cabinets painted or stain grade? It's hard to tell. I think I'd think about a dark stain (to bring in the feel of the inspiration photo's dark beams). How about giving yourself a brand new larger island and making better use of the area? It looks like you have room to do this by the photo.

Bead board reads "beach" to me, not Santa Barbara Spanish.

Countertops and backsplash can bring in the Spanish touches you crave. I'd use a dark stain, a beautiful granite counter and some Spanish style tiles on the back splash, perhaps.

If possible, see about replacing the appliances with stainless. They lend great resale value if you can swing it. If not, maybe a panel to cover the white fronts would be in order.

Last, I'd add some rich fabric window valances and play up the height of the room. Perhaps crown molding throughout the home and then the valances almost to the bottom of the crown.

Good luck. I'd love to see the end result!
March 19, 2013 at 9:15pm   
theabsinaz
Thanks for the feedback REJP Interiors! Yes, I agree about refacing. I dont think we're entirely up to the task of DIY when it comes to the cabinets. The flooring is beautiful travertine and it flows throughout the 1st level of the house, so I think it's a keeper. But the monochromatic look of the kitchen bothers me. I need some contrast to make this the heart of our home!
March 19, 2013 at 9:19pm   
REJP Interiors
Absolutely! Contrast is key. And the floor without a doubt sounds and looks like a keeper. Have you thought about a butcher block top on the new island? I think it'll suit your overall aesthetic really well and bring in a nice rich wood tone if you wind up going with a painted finish on the cabinets.
March 19, 2013 at 9:26pm   
theabsinaz
Libradesigneye - thanks for the great ideas for the island!! Great thinking. Will look into a local architectural salvage.

Talianko Design Group - the current cabinets are a dated peachy pink stain. Not my style at all. We are planning to replace the appliances with stainless too. Love your ideas on the countertops & backsplash! What types & colors of valances & window coverings would you recommend?
March 19, 2013 at 9:28pm   
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I wouldn't add the bead board - go ahead and paint - but prep the cabinets properly by tsp cleaning, sanding three times with finer and finer sand paper, then prime, then 3 to 5 coats of paint (sanding inbetween) then final coat of clear lacquer.

the photo you posted of the green kitchen isn't really spanish - it's more country.
I would definitely increase the island - and before you paint - contact your local kitchen cabinetry
suppliers - see if they have any left-overs, or mistake base cabinets you can pick up - plot out backing
base cabinets to a length that runs the entire length of your current cabinets. Then spend some money putting a gorgeous new wood countertop for the island.

If you can splurge for granite on the perimeter countertop.

Don't pick your paint, or backsplash until you've decided on your cabinetry paint colour - and countertops. Then pick your backsplash.

When I design kitchens - I always have my countertop and cabinetry stain colour - always refer back to those items to pick the remaining pieces to your puzzle . Photo below is of all the items I have chosen before I pick paint - Good luck.
March 19, 2013 at 9:36pm   
Talianko Design Group, LLC
Remember to choose ALL of your materials including the fabrics at the same time before you start spending money. It will depend on your other materials. Maybe you pull your color scheme from the granite? Or maybe you find a fabric you absolutely love to take shopping with you to choose everything else. Even if you don't end up using that exact fabric, it will have a built in color scheme if you look for it. Hope that helps!
March 19, 2013 at 9:41pm   
Wingren Design
First question: How long do plan to live in this house? Under 5 years; paint, tops, and appliances will work just fine. If this is a long term home, spend the money and replace your cabinets. You will have the enjoyment of using them and have the added value when its time to sell. Second question: How well do your cabinets function? Do they have decent drawer glides and hinges? What does the access to the 'blind corner' look like? Will you spend much time on your hands and knees getting things in and out of your cabinets? Also, would check the cost of refacing vs new cabinets, I think you will be surprised how close new cabinets in price considering how much more you get. Do you have a picture of the refrigerator wall?
March 19, 2013 at 10:07pm   
Need help with kitchen/dining rehab
My husband and I are buying a new to us home. The...
Need help for kitchen rehab
We just purchased a multifamily home and are going...
Kitchen design (full rehab)
Buying this house, I'm active in real estate but this...
Rehab Kitchen!
It's a second property we purchased & pretty much rehab...
Rehabbing wood kitchen countertops
We're at that point in owning our house where we're...
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
My Living Room Layout, Need Help!
I am facing a problem as to where I should place my...
Mirrored Closet Doors
To do or not to do? Are they an outdated look of the...
Kitchen Backsplash?
We are currently building our dream home right now,...
Paint Color for walls in room with Rosewood and Teak furniture
My parents have a lot of teak and rosewood furniture....