Need help with what todo with existing front of house and fence
Crocker Homes Inc.
I would like to update front of house and yard.The existing 6 foot fence was installed for privacy, should I leave or remove and install some other type of privacy? Should I add something around front door to make more inviting. Looking for suggestions
That is almost an interesting piece of art in the second picture, it looks like a pterodactyl is hugging the corner of your fence! I hope this is winter and the plant comes alive in the summer - perhaps it is just this time of year that it looks terrible.
A fence is a good thing in that it does give you 100% privacy but while it blocks out prying eyes, it also imprisons you. Would you be interested in taking the fence down and installing a hedge - bearing in mind that it will take about 5 years to be a functional hedge...?
0 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 2:03PM
claudiann
Is there a reason why you want or need so much privacy? It would be moe inviting without the fence. Do you have brick or grass in front? You could make a seating area in front of the small window and block it from the street with a vinyl fence that matches your house. I would put some pretty landscaping around the outside of the fence.
1 Like   March 20, 2013 at 2:16PM
sacapuntaslapioz
leave it. the privacy is always a plus. in addition fences give you a structure to work against. landscape in front for 4 season interest with evergreen, grasses, and annuals for color. you can also paint it in a striking color. I would need to see the rest of the style of the house.
[houzz=Traditional Perennial 1][houzz=Urban Oasis][houzz=Traditional Perennial 2][houzz=Front entry garden]
1 Like   March 20, 2013 at 2:27PM
nFORMAL design
You definitely need to do something with the fence that will give it a better curb appeal. To be perfectly honest, I would probably take it down and start all over again with a combination of fence and landscape. If you like the privacy, you might want to go with something a little more semi-private like in the images below. Imagine yourself in one of your guest's shoes while approaching the house as it is now. If I was a guest, I wouldn't even know where the front door is. I thought it was your backyard when I first saw the pictures. These examples might provide you with some ideas for enclosure that's a little more inviting, but still keeps unwanted visitors at an arms length. Best of luck!
2 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 2:54PM
What would be the privacy issue? Are you on a busy street, nosy neighbors, are you nudists?. Your house is so cute but so hidden behind the ugly fence. Maybe you should repost when the plant is blooming, and we can see an advantage to it. Maybe it just needs to be cleaned up and repaired.
1 Like   March 20, 2013 at 2:55PM
handymam
A fence is one thing, but a six foot fence in the front of a house like this kind of does make you wonder why they need that kind of privacy.

Beyond that, the faded gray stockade fence is sort of ugly, no matter how nice the vines are when in bloom. AND, your house is grey. I would replace the fence with a 4 foot fence if you must have one. Perhaps you can save some of the vine by cutting it way back and retraining it to a new fence. I really like nFORMAL's last fence pic, might be nice for your house.

I like your house though! Maybe some rockwork on the part below the white trim would add interest.
0 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 6:22PM
Need Help What to do w/ front of house-porch possibly? Fence?
House built in 1949. Did a few updates already. Enclosed...
Need help with a new boundary wall/fence to front of house
Existing hedge along front of house to be removed and...
Help with fence for dogs at front of house
Just purchased this house and will have to install...
Need help with re-planning existing state 3 bdr house in Auckland
with possible extension for one more room and 1 or...
Need help with what to do with the front of this house, landscape etc
Please help. We purchased this home for our retirement...
Need help with color
This is my first time asking for advice. I recently...
Kitchen floor help!
We are finally getting around to updating our kitchen...
Awkward Living Room
My LR needs an update and I'm beginning with a new...
Kitchen Location Advice
Hi Houzzers! My husband and I are planning a major...
what to do with rough sawn painted white?
Small den/library with rough sawn paneling and beams,...