Decorating ideas for condo
candifloss
We are renovating the condo and have found that the fireplace wall was hollow except for the fireplace so now not sure what to do with this wall. Would like more walking space around the kitchen table.
The kitchen is being redesigned but has to stay where it is due to electrical wiring. Thinking of tile on the floors with radiant heating because the baseboards just don't cut it. Windows are a pain to figure out what to cover them with and if to put up curtains or not.
Any ideas's welcome.
Ed
So exciting! :) Which parts are you keeping and which are you replacing? All new flooring? New cabinets, windows, doors, wall colors, appliances, toilets, bathtubs/showers, faucets, sinks, light fixtures ?
March 21, 2013 at 3:06am   
candifloss
We have removed the carpeting, all the kitchen cupboards, the wall where the fire place is was hollow except for the fireplace. So now we don't know if we want the wall still there or not. Thinking maybe we might level the sunken living-room back up to the kitchen level and leave it as a full open concept. Many options, just not sure what would look the best. The windows have all been done and we can't do anything with them. We will however be putting a new wall around them as they are not insulated very well,drafty drafty drafty.
March 21, 2013 at 3:56am   
Kalli George Interiors
Looked at the picture and noticed a couple of things. I am assuming kitchen and living room share this wall so knocking it down will open up the space.

However, I notice a TV in the living room. If this has to stay in this area a couple of considerations. If you like watching the TV straight ahead, you will have to position it on the wall where you have your couch right now. In turn, your couch will then have to move to where the wall is now or it's back to the kitchen. In this configuration, you don't really have any more space around your table. If TV placement is not that important, you can place it in the window nook and leave your sofa where it is right now. This configuration is more open plan and will allow you to pull your kitchen table forward and have a little more walking space.

On the other hand, you can leave the wall where it is. Built it up with shelves and storage on both sides for balance. Allow a spot for a flat screen TV or place it above the fireplace (personal preference).

Leave your couch where it is now. A rectangular coffee table preferrably a fabric ottoman (very forgiving on the knees when bumped) because it looks like a narrow room. Position a chair on either side of the couch - "u" configuration. Obviously all this depends on the actual dimensions of the room, your furniture and budget. You might even be able to place two chairs side by side at the entry point and then create an additional seating area by the window with a console table and an additional chair.

Finally windows. If redoing them, consider white trim all arround. As well, your furniture looks somewhat traditional so you might want to consider some stationary drapery panels on either side. For privacy, add romans/roll up blinds and mount them on the inside of the window frame for a sleeker look.
March 21, 2013 at 4:32am   
candifloss
Excellent ideas and comments. We found out today that the wall dividing the rooms has to stay but can be downsized in depth which will give us another 4-6" around the table. We have a gas fireplace in this wall and it has to stay there due to the pipes. So the flat screen mounted above would be perfect.
Thinking of doing a stone around this wall, on both sides. This would give it a nice feel. We are replacing all the furniture as the stuff there is 1980's...and time for it to go.
We have thought about raising the sunken living-room to the same level as the kitchen, but still not sure. Liking the idea of window coverings suggested, and for privacy roman blinds are easy to make.
Thanks for the ideas.
March 21, 2013 at 12:59pm   
Need ideas - Bought a furnished condo - color ideas?
I love the condo and the way it is furnished but I...
Need Help Decorating a condo
Because the dining, breakfast area and living area...
How to decor a small condo
After almost living in my condo or 4 years...I need...
Decorate our condo
We have a new 1000ft.² condo I would you suggest we...
Should girls have less pink in their bedrooms/lives?
I am trying to decide whether to paint my young daughter's...
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...
Le style français en un mot ?
Et si vous deviez choisir un mot (nom ou adjectif)...
design ideas for a very small house
I have recently bought a tiny house, that is in need...
need ideas for the wall in my dressing room
I just have reformed this room for my dressing room...