Tweak kitchen design ?
bowlling13
Any suggestion on what can be tweaked./changed to improve the design plan ? This is a model of a home that I am considering . Thanks !
Hollywood Sierra Kitchens
The space could come alive with a colorful tile backsplash to coordinate with other colors that you would choose to use in the kitchen and surrounding areas.
   March 20, 2013 at 4:18PM
bowlling13
Would color body tile be better suited on the floors instead of wood floors ? Worried about wear and tear on the wood floors.
   March 20, 2013 at 4:23PM
laurakdesigns
This is funny-- my kitchen now has the same layout & I am doing some tweaking! Although its a great layout and works super well. My island is larger and I love love love it! Great for buffets - entertaining and prep. On the wall on the right I have pantry- fridge and lower cabinets with open bookcase above. Am going to remove shelves & put an upper cabinet with glass doors for stemware etc and use counter below that for ice bucket/bar area when entertaining. My double ovens are to the right of the cooktop (next to archway to formal dining room). I love that configuration as you can go from cooktop to oven easily. Someone suggested that I take out the microwave (same spot as yours and put in a large decorative range hood). I am still on the fence with that one. Make sure the area for the fridge is extra large for a cool fridge.
   March 20, 2013 at 4:39PM
Builders spent endless hours perfecting their floor plans in order to provide the most efficient use of space with the best budget possible, therefore this kitchen is a good layout to begin with.
   March 20, 2013 at 4:46PM
Eagledzines
A backsplash would be my suggestion as well. You could also put some drop lights over the island. It's a beautiful kitchen.
   March 20, 2013 at 10:03PM
andrearoy
COLOR!! use some color to make the most of a great layout.. contractor beige does nothing for any area!
   March 20, 2013 at 10:06PM
onthefence
I agree it looks to be a really great kitchen.

The only tweak for my personal preference would be an appliance garage with electric where I could have a few small appliances plugged in and at the ready.
   March 20, 2013 at 10:07PM
onthefence
Oh, and I'd also hope that one of the cabinets close to the sink was adequate to use for a pullout trash/recycle center.
1 Like   March 20, 2013 at 10:12PM
delenaruehl
It's beautiful, but I would add the back splash, maybe even a steel textured one behind the stove. Paint in a mocha color would be rich and compliment the dark color's. Pick one really bright color to accent the space! Whatever you like. It's going to be beautiful.
   March 20, 2013 at 10:17PM
Wingren Design
How big of a 'tweak' can you consider? I have a couple ideas off the top of my head; first is simple- I only see one bank of drawers in the kitchen. Doesn't matter if your 30 or 70, you should have either drawers or roll outs in all your base cabinets. Second, a bit tougher- split refrigerator and ovens with counter between. Move microwave between them (use a sharp R1214) and create a landing area our of the refer and ovens. Micro/hoods are an expensive eye sore. Hood and back splash would better focal points. With appliances, there are several options that can save you money and space depending on your needs. Double oven ranges like this one: http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=CGS990SETSS
can eliminate an expensive appliance and open up more space. Good luck!
1 Like   March 21, 2013 at 12:20AM
Landis Interiors & Cabinetry
I agree with adding more drawer bases. Secondly, take the wall cabinets all the way to the ceiling and eliminate the dust collection space above...you will grow to hate cleaning cobwebs up there. The varied height is trendy. And lastly, maximize the island size (storage and seating). Hope this helps!
   March 21, 2013 at 5:05AM
CDR Design
1)I agree with Landis: bring cabinets to ceiling. It will give you more cabinet space, make the celings looks taller and end the dusting.
2) Make area to right of oven a tall pantry.
3) Eliminate the exisitng island. Instead, next to the sink area, extend the counter out at a 90 degree angle (so you will have an L shape).This will serve as a bar/breakfast area. On either side of the cabinets, you will have vertical cabinets.They will be glass on both sides on the top portion. (You will be filling these with beautiful glasses/mugs...perhaps your liquor and wine if you lean that way. (Might want to consider a wine frig if you want one). So, now you have a nice long bar for extra seating and a serve-through. Your kitchen is still very open, but also has definition as a separate room.
   March 21, 2013 at 5:29AM
CDR Design
Here is a photo. This one does not have cabinets flanking the sides, but you get the idea. Also, you still could keep your island in the kitchen, but maybe a touch smallContemporary Kitchen by Portland Architect Giulietti Schouten Contemporary Kitchen by Portland Architect Giulietti Schouten Architects
   March 21, 2013 at 5:35AM
Distinguished Flooring LLC
A backsplash could add color to the kitchen.
   March 21, 2013 at 5:45AM
Cindy Crawford
The basic layout is good although lacking in any key design elements.
I would put an attractive hood over the cooktop.
Move the microwave to the double ovens, making the top oven microwave/convection
Flip the double ovens with the short counter space so the counter space in is the center, serving as a landing space for both the refrigerator and the oven. Also separate a lot of stainless steel being side by side.
Change to a drawer base to the cabinet right of the cooktop.
The island could be painted wood, a nice taupe, muted green or gray with a natural wood top with character.
The walls can be painted, try a deep rich color like Sherwin Williams Retreat (grey green blue) for lots of warmth and contrast to all the brown cabinets. Or if your a minimalist or on the modern edge, choose a warm beige like Sherwin Williams Basket Beige.
Its not a huge kitchen so keep the back splash simple, and not to trendy. A slate waterfall tile if you go with the SW Retreat, A nice brick lay beige with two rows of 1" glass mosaics if you choose beige walls.
Update the overhead bubble light to something beautiful, maybe a track system and don't forget under cabinet lighting.
No appliance garages, they take up valuable counter space. You don't have that much
Some modern accessories for the countertop, a few bold splashes of color, say apple green leather barstools from Pier 1 and your off to a great start.
   March 21, 2013 at 6:15AM
ea62architects
I would suggest the following:
Close off both ends of the kitchen with nib walls same depth as the counter base cabinets.
Move the stack ovens to the end so that you separate between the Fridge and the stackable ovens with cabinets to provide serving area for both.
   March 21, 2013 at 6:19AM
jgoodmon
Ditto, C Crawford. Exactly what I was thinking!
   March 21, 2013 at 6:37AM
bowlling13
Thank you all of the comments !!. I should have mentioned the ceiling is 9 feet high and the wall cabinets are 42 inches tall. The pantry is located behind the white double doors.

Shifting the double ovens to create a landing in the middle was something I thought about...but that would move the ovens farther away from the cooktop and make the design less ergonomic ?

The biggest problem I see is the opening to the dining room (next to pantry doors). I cannot close it off so that I can move the double ovens there.
   March 21, 2013 at 7:03AM
Design Mode
I would look at how you like to move around the kitchen, and how many people will be using it at once. Do you have family parties with everyone helping? Kids who make their own lunches and meals, or you hope they will in a few years? Hubby who takes over to make his specialty dish? Are you territorial about your working spaces or do you like visitors chatting beside you while you watch the oven?
Draw the floor plan, put X's for people eating, chatting or working (doing dishes, food prep, stirring pots) and lightly colour in arrows for traffic flow. You can also place dotted lines for dishwasher, oven & fridge opening range - can you walk around an open dishwasher, oven, fridge? Think about giving hot food a place to rest after preparation, with uninterrupted traffic. I like clear, straight paths when I cook. I like special drawers for pots, vertical storage for flat pans, baking in one area - organized and convenient.
So I think I see an area impeding your sink to fridge direct walking path. Horrors - it's the island placement! I think it should move out of the line between the fridge & sink, just down a few feet. Or create an L penninsula, as cdrdesign suggests.
I like the openness of this kitchen, so if you want to welcome chatting people but keep them out of the work areas, place the island overhang & seating on the side that would look toward the cooktop (not the sink like this kitchen.) Chatters can perch there like Norm at Cheers - with a better view of food and not dirty dishes.
If you like your partner or children helping, you could have a second work area for food prep - like a second small sink for cleaning vegetables. Your island or pennisula could have the second sink.
Somewhere about age 40, it gets tougher to bend down to lower cupboards, so pull out drawers are great & organized. Oh, aging brings a whole new dimension to design!
   March 21, 2013 at 7:07AM
ea62architects
Depending on how far you shift the ovens, if it is a matter of 3 feet , I wouldn't worry about it. The benefit of having a serving landing is far more in my opinion to making your kitchen more efficient.
   March 21, 2013 at 7:11AM
bowlling13
Can anyone tell me what color the floor is and what type of wood ?

Color of the kitchen cabinets ?
   March 21, 2013 at 5:57PM
How can I tweak this design to make it look more modern?
U-shape kitchen Dimensions Left wall = 2.8m Right wall...
Inexpensive cosmetic tweaks in kitchen?
Any suggestions about what can be done to make this...
Am I ready? Should I submit my kitchen order or do more tweaking?
What do you think of my layout? Am I ready to submit...
Ceiling Lighting for Living/Dining Room open to to kitchen
I have a 17' x 29.5' open living and dining room with...
I Have A Very Nice Rug.....
Need to sell but do not know how much it is worth or...
Paint suggestions & tile backsplash installation
We are giving our kitchen a makeover using the existing...
Need kitchen flooring help
I have a old house build mid 1950's...I have gutted...
Can shotgun hallway be different colors
Modular home with shotgun hallway from sunporch to...