ncgraciemay
I am buying this time capsule atomic ranch! Part of me loves these colors, but it's a little too kitchy for the neighborhood. I'm thinking of painting the wood siding and trim shades of gray. Or should i keep some of the turquoise? (The front door will remain in all its turquoise glory!) And what to replace that green astroturf with?!
bepsf
I love your new place!
There are some great ideas for period-appropriate colors over at RetroRenovation.com
Enjoy!
June 19, 2011 at 10:49am   
gerib
If you want to conform with the neighbors, I would choose a color from Sherwin Williams Arts and Crafts color palette. http://www.craftsmanperspective.com/advice/interior.html
Any of the colors that are not too close in shade to the brick would be appropriate. Make sure it will match your door.
June 20, 2011 at 2:51am   
Maureen Kocsis
Wow! Just like the Brady Bunch house....you bought a real Gem, It would be fun to create the Retro 60s look inside as well. Enjoy
June 20, 2011 at 5:27am   
UPSTAGING YOUR HOMES
Love turquoise - glad you are keeping door colour. The door should be a unique colour from the rest of house. Definitely restrict turquoise to door; paint trim a deeper colour - one that works with body of house, which I would also keep.
Have fun!
June 20, 2011 at 10:02am     
Bud Dietrich, AIA
This is a terrific house so please do some research on the colors of the specific era the house was built. My sense is that the house wasn't painted like this but I could be wrong. Maybe you can scrape away some of the yellow and turquoise to see what lies underneath.
June 20, 2011 at 10:08am   
Fiorella Design
keep the turquoise door but tone down the rest with grays...will be very sophisticated...
June 20, 2011 at 10:09am     
ftw500
I think gray would go nicely with the turquoise, but a dark chocolate brown might be better with that brick color. What is underneath the green astroturf? If it's more concrete maybe look into having stained a color that coordinates, but not matchy-matchy, to the brick or the trim? I love the house! So much potential and fun!
June 20, 2011 at 10:12am   
Andrew Anderson
Love the turquoise on the door, but I agree that the house was most likely not originally that color palette and was a most likely a bit more subdued. I recently saw a mid-century back-split done in shades of grey against the brick and wood and it looked great, and if you opt for a grey with a little blue in it you would relate back to the turquoise door! Congrats on such a great new home!
June 20, 2011 at 10:28am   
Richard Taylor, AIA
Some good advice in these replies; keep it bright and fun, though - I wouldn't do gray if I were you! Either way, congrats to you for seeing the value in the character of this unique home!
June 20, 2011 at 10:41am   
Fiorella Design
btw, i meant you would also paint that red brick FOR sure! the entire house...trim, etc. nothing worth saving...enjoy
June 20, 2011 at 11:10am     
ncgraciemay
Thanks for all these comments! I'm going to have to keep the brick as-is for now, so i'll be thinking about how to coordinate the colors with it.
June 20, 2011 at 11:25am     
Lynn
Sweet House! Congratulations.
June 20, 2011 at 11:46am   
mikebenz
Dark brown (as previously suggested) or black/white. But not gray
June 20, 2011 at 1:06pm   
majackermann
I would do browns or very dark taupy greys...like Restoration Hardware.
June 20, 2011 at 2:13pm     
Shannon Stanbro
Please don't paint any masonry or other natural materials! Restoring the home's original character and preserving its original details is your wisest investment.

These historic homes are increasing in value because they are unique, it would be a mistake to "mainstream" this house. Thankfully, there are a lot of mid-century savvy resources:
http://www.5280mod.com http://www.atomic-ranch.com http://www.retrorenovation.com http://www.midmodredo.com http://www.lottaliving.com/
June 20, 2011 at 4:02pm     
mousemaker
3decoratingdivas!! Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!! :)
June 21, 2011 at 6:41am   
mikebenz
Absolutely do NOT paint the brick! Awesome house man! WTH, keep the turf!
June 21, 2011 at 7:34am   
willene
i think painting the brick white and painting the trim gray and keeping the turquoise would be nice. maybe stain the concrete brown/dark brown too. It's a very nice structure with interesting shapes. congrats on your new home!
June 23, 2011 at 8:00pm   
Barbara Carithers
Wonderful house! I grew up by some mid-century modern houses. One had a similar feel to it, but it was all redwood and brown trim with huge windows. In side was a 2 sided stone fireplace. Here's some ideas in color for you to mull over. I had fun making them.
June 23, 2011 at 10:49pm     
mikebenz
Very nice studies! First one is my favorite!
June 23, 2011 at 11:00pm   
ncgraciemay
becorcari, thank you! I tried doing that on Sherwin Williams site and am too clumsy! That is very helpful. Not sure yet which i prefer, i'll have to ponder. :)
June 24, 2011 at 3:41am   
mousemaker
the carport is great. garage areas are usually boring and take up too much of the front on new houses.
and 5280mod? i really like your photo.
June 24, 2011 at 7:05am   
kbumgar
Great house! I'd love to see photos of the inside too.
June 26, 2011 at 7:07am   
mgranskou
Nice house - clean lines. Martha Stewart has a wonderful brown (morel) that would go with that brick. If you want a green door - what about bringing in some copper panels on the front door? You might find after you paint the trim that the front door is calling for a fresh look.
June 26, 2011 at 8:26am   
Barbara
The turquoise doors are alright, but they are just too solid. If they were mostly glass with turquoise frames, or even a natural stained wood door with windows it would appeal to me.
June 26, 2011 at 4:18pm   
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Becorcari's color mock-ups are very instructive. Some nice choices there. My only suggestion would be to repeat a touch of black somewhere, if you are leaving the doors turquoise with black trim. Even if it's just on the far right garage post, or on a couple of rectangular doorside planters. Great house!
June 26, 2011 at 7:45pm   
ncgraciemay
thanks for all the comments. Colorhelp, i was thinking the same thing, that a repeat of the black is needed somewhere.
June 27, 2011 at 3:42am   
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Yes Gracie, and I wish I could be more specific with that suggestion, but I'm not able to tell exactly how the roof and rafter architecture comes together. I wondered if one might do the rafter tails in black, but was afraid that could look too harsh or too Arts & Crafts... and also was not sure where those lines started and stopped. I would print out those mock-ups in color, and maybe play around with a black marker, see how various touches of black affect the overall composition. Another possibility is a mod black spotlight mounted on the wall - maybe that would be enough black to bring it together.
June 27, 2011 at 8:27am   
NOrma Remick
Very interesting home!! Paint the brick a medium gray and the trim a white. Get rid of all the bright aqua colors....it's not attractive from the exterior. Purchase wooden double doors for the front doors, and paint them a Chinese red, or a deep orange. Orange was a popular color in the 50s & 60s. Put some well trimmed shrubs in the planter and maybe a Japanese Maple in the front yard. In the mide-century, people didn't have glass doors in front and with all those windows on top, you don't need them. Put some sky-lights in the cover over the patio and remove the railing out there to open that space up and make it appear larger.......or......paint the entire exterior a pale taupe, and put in wooden doors in front, which are painted a bright color, or an olive green, also a popular color in mid-century. Good luck!!
June 27, 2011 at 9:52am   
leticiashaquana
like you I think the original colours are pretty fun, however they aren't entirely pulled off. Love that you want to keep the turquoise door. especially with the black/navy trim, it works for me. Of the options that becorcari has created, I like the third and the fourth.. the red/brown tone plays well with the brick, it makes the trim less noticeable, which I like.(which also makes the door sing). I agree that the dark around the door should be pulled off elsewhere to tie in, may i recommend painting your house number on the brick immediately to the left of the carport? I would opt to go vertically with larger numbers, although horizontally with smaller numbers would work as well.
As for the green astroturf, definitely has to go, though it certainly doesn't look any the worse for wear. ;)
I think just removing it will make things look a lot fresher, but if it requires more help, I'm thinking dark.
This leads me to your other photos, which I have puzzled over. I'm not a fan of the little deck area, and the astroturf is part of it, but the rest would need to be updated also. However, I'm not feeling the same browny red tones would work well in here, it would feel very dark in the space, even with the skylight. Here's my thought: paint the ceiling, and wall of house a very light turqoise (I'm thinking white with tones of blue)- so it will be a white enough area to keep it bright and open feeling. Green floor gone, replaced with darker neutral, and I would paint the deck rail, and various trims/supports in the brown/red tone from the front of the house.
Re: the back of the house, garage doors I would hit with black, to tie in with the front, the turquoise trim would be red/brown tone, also the trim around the windows, and the light yellow I would go with the light blue in this area also, since it is small and will be well balanced with the black doors below.
Also wanted to say please plan awesome things for your planter in the front of the house. Also I would s
June 30, 2011 at 11:12pm   
Sheila Schmitz
I'm leaning toward becorcari's 7th color scheme. :)
July 14, 2011 at 6:09pm   
Audra Emerson
We are half way through our rennovation of our 50's ranch and painted it Sherwin Williams Peppercorn. Absolutely love the color and think it would contrast your brick beautifully! I realize you are talking about keeping the doors but if you find you want to/need to get more light into the entry check out Crestview Doors. We used one of their window inserts and absolutely love it.
July 14, 2011 at 8:03pm   
Audra Emerson
...and have to say I love becorcari's idea to paint the brick...can be controversial I know but looks great and really sets off the front doors!
July 14, 2011 at 8:07pm   
inkwitch
The different paint palletts were all dark colors; I'd like to see white or cream brick, even a pale gray with a darker gray trim. Although turquoise and brown are faves of mine, the brown just looks muddy.

Too much of a good thing can be boring and tired; up-to-date designs follow the retro-50s trend while incorporating better function. Pepto Bismal Pink baths -- overwhelming at 6:00 AM! Had one; argh! After all, it's not a design museum, but a functional house. Design integrity can be sustained with modernizations and be much more livable. Go for it!
July 15, 2011 at 3:39am   
ncgraciemay
Thanks for these thoughtful suggestions. I love leticia's ideas, especially for the patio/sitting area. And audra, your home is beautiful and i'm strongly leaning toward a gray like you used at the moment. Totally agree with inkwitch about too much of a good thing; i don't want my home to be a replication of 1959 necessarily. However, i do like the pink bathroom and will keep it; so trying to decide how to paint the wall above to give it a more up to date feel.
July 15, 2011 at 4:45am   
ncgraciemay
oh, i meant to add that the deck will have to be replaced. It is old, not to code, and not safe (besides being ugly). Thinking about something like this:
July 15, 2011 at 4:48am   
Tom Borsellino
The barn red and turquoise could be the original color scheme. It's a very 50's combination and was original on many Eichlers here in California.

Check out Sherwin Williams' historic collection.
July 15, 2011 at 9:53am   
Annie Thornton
The more I look at it, I actually am loving the idea of maintaining the brick and turquoise color scheme. Just a fresh coat of paint and some landscaping would really enhance the exterior of this house.

And @audraemerson, I am loving your house. We would love to see more of it!
July 15, 2011 at 10:21am   
kitchenmaven
Great color studies - I prefer colors in 3 or 4. Also, I too think that the door is too monolith- I think a pair of single panel glass doors would look better - turq would be OK, but the Chinese red idea is great too
July 15, 2011 at 11:58am   
Karen Heffernan
I would paint the brick white, love the turquoise, but perhaps it could be softened? and I would get rid of the yellow (make it white?). Is the astroturf on concrete? If so, I would perhaps stain the concrete.
July 15, 2011 at 3:52pm   
htramp
I would make the doors clear, and maybe just keep the turqois around the trim.And maybe a nice warm light effect coming from inside upper windows, to make it looks more inviting.
July 15, 2011 at 8:12pm   
Regina Saunders
Have the same dilema with a permanently leaking roof and bad landscaping. Leaving the house "submarine grey" and working on the inside....White if very dramatic..and sophisticated. We will probably go with a moss to blend into nature having the 100 foot GA pines all around.
July 16, 2011 at 6:06pm   
Christine Hilton
WOW! You must be overwhelmed with all this advice.I love the turquoise but is it defining too much of your other choices.I love all the grays but also like gray/greens.An alternative to painting your brick is to stain it which will leave it natural looking.You will have to experiment in hidden areas.I have done this two ways.Method one,mix latex paint and water 50:50.Paint on brick and LIGHTLY spritz with water.Method two,use a wood stain and paint on.The professionals will tell you this won't work but any of us who have spilled stain know it doesn't come off :) I would paint the brick but this may be a safer choice for you.Remember,just because something is original doesn't mean it is right.
July 17, 2011 at 6:26am   
Jill S
I'd lose the turquoise, and find another color scheme
July 17, 2011 at 8:02am   
susan_yee
with such a beautiful background of sky/mountains, I would tone down the turquoise and go with a light blue....keeps it interesting, more modern and natural looking.
July 17, 2011 at 8:38am   
swillsdc
We just bought a mid-century design beaty in California that is also "frozen in time"--perfection. We thought we'd live in it a bit to settle into the vibe/tone and get a deeper sense of how to approach the place from the outside. Really like the simulation photos. I think the turquoise could be a knock-out with a neutral tone painted on all other exterior surfaces.
July 17, 2011 at 9:10am   
Sharon Barnard
A no-brainer...Grey or Taupe trim!!!
July 17, 2011 at 9:17am   
Sharon Barnard
Oh..I missed the "all white" photo..that would be great also..with the subtle Grey door. That is appropriate to the period and easy to live with over time. There is a reason that the FUN look of mid-century colors did not hold its popularity and just became regarded as tacky.
July 17, 2011 at 9:26am   
snfranc1
I would paint the whole house white if you live in California, or charcoal grey or taupe any place else...love the lines
July 17, 2011 at 7:29pm   
Ellen Reed
Love the ideas becorcari had!....good luck!....smiles.
July 18, 2011 at 11:21am   
leticiashaquana
I liked the link to the deck you put up for replacing with. Nice clean lines, and an open feel. These people that are saying no to the turquoise are just spamming the comments. :(
She wants to keep some of it! Either offer advice to work with that scheme or keep your comments to yourself! No one wants to hear that the design scheme they've embraced, "lost it's popularity for a reason." The only thing that's in bad taste about mid century color schemes is telling other people that they're not allowed to like them.
July 18, 2011 at 9:01pm   
kabeck02
Your house reminds me so much of our house. We just finished painting our soffits and trim. We went with Valspar Earthy impressions ( a brown) and Urban Gold ( a tan with some yellow in it). I looked into painting our brick, but we live in the midwest and with our harsh winters it is advisable not to paint brick. If you live in milder climates, such as the south you can get away with painting the brick. If you really want to there is a product called dyebrick that is a stain for your brick and can change the look of your brick. We too have green turf carpeting; our hope is to tear it up and stain the concrete or paint it. If you choose to paint make sure your paint has some sand in it so the surface does not become slippery when wet.
July 19, 2011 at 6:13am   
creekgirl
Whether or not your home is an Eichler, there is a terrific "idea gallery" website for remodeling mid-century moderns:
http://www.eichlerforsale.com/Eichler_Remodeling_Ideas

Click on "painting" and you will find a great palette of colors.

Best of luck!
March 11, 2012 at 6:09pm   
ncgraciemay
Thanks creekgirl!
March 12, 2012 at 3:52am   
ikwewe
What did you end up doing? I have a house with similar color brick. I painted the part of the house that was not brick turquoise, a little paler shade than what you have there. Most of my neighbors love it, just one, right across the street unfortunately for her, thinks it is "too much." The turquoise on the door looks great, but I would paint the rest of the doors and trim a color that more coordinates with the brick. We saw a house that had the trim painted a pale aquamarine, and the driveway and garage floor were painted to match. That looked awesome!
July 14, 2012 at 11:12am   
ncgraciemay
We painted the part of the house that was yellow a light/medium gray. The trim is charcoal. You can see the trim in the first picture and the lighter gray in the second (i think!) That turquoise on the railing is now charcoal; it seemed like too much. The doors are all still turquoise. I think that i may paint them a burnt orange someday if i get tired of the turquoise; i agree that it would coordinate with the brick more. Just loving the turquoise at the moment, and hey...it's my house, why not! :) Our neighbors are happy with the change and we get lots of drive-by compliments on the makeover..
July 15, 2012 at 4:12am     
ikwewe
That looks beautiful, nice wall garden along the front, too. Plants make everything better! I love turquoise, and I think the double doors adds just the perfect amount of color to the front of the house, along with those coleus and the green drapey plants.
July 15, 2012 at 6:53am   
anifig
This is a great house and a great example of residential architecture from that era. That being said, you don't want to have your house look like a caricature from the past but rather bring it respectfully into the 21st century. I am glad you narrowed the number of colors that were on the house and given it a more tailored look look with the grays. My favorite thing about this style are the windows which provide privacy from the street and I am sure give very nice light qualities to the interior.
November 8, 2012 at 3:24pm   
anifig
November 8, 2012 at 3:24pm   
anifig
November 8, 2012 at 3:24pm   
anifig
November 8, 2012 at 3:24pm   
EasyTurf
Easyturf is another alternative to replacing that old astroturf. We're using it in so many more applications now than the traditional back yard - balcony and rooftop installations are on the rise. Because there's no need to water and mow, you can put it just about anywhere - it might be perfect for the spaces you have. Here's a recent rooftop install.
February 10, 2013 at 7:07am   
elroyjetson
I would do anything to have a home like that bagain... stick to your heart; the neihbors will just have to catch up....
March 18, 2013 at 1:35pm   
Groovywares.com
orange was also all the rage back then - so was brown.
July 11, 2013 at 2:39pm   
Darla V
You are so lucky!!! I'm so excited for you. Hope you keep the entryway. I love preservation. Personally, in the spirit of the atomic age, I would go full modern with the bathroom and kitchen reno. The more 21st century, the better. We pulled in the retro in our lighting.
November 19, 2013 at 1:23pm   
yoboseiyo
how pretty!
i love the turquoise.
November 19, 2013 at 1:43pm     
reba120
Don't do something to match the neighbors, match the house. Which is awesome!
November 19, 2013 at 4:26pm   
ncgraciemay
Well, I finally put together a Pinterest board, in response to the requests here for more recent pics. Houzz was interested in featuring it at one point, but my pictures weren't good enough. But they're good enough to see on Pinterest, so - here it is! Oh and my other board has lots of good midcentury modern pics, too. http://www.pinterest.com/maggiepanther/atomic-ranch-in-the-mountains/.
November 30, 2013 at 1:50pm     
inpdx
So glad I took the time to check. You did a great job, and I appreciate that you've kept so many original features.
November 30, 2013 at 2:25pm      Thanked by ncgraciemay
ikwewe
What a beautiful house! I wish I had found one like this. Mine was 1964 original but mucn more traditionally decorated and furnished. I really appreciate how you are restoring the look.
November 30, 2013 at 3:13pm   
Studio M Interior Design
Your gray idea sounds more like it would fit into the neighborhood. This home is so cool and I'm loving the mid-century palm springs vibe. I also love that you're keeping the turquoise door. Splashes of color are just what this home needs, but perhaps maybe just no the roof :)
February 6, 2014 at 7:09am   
Please help me design my barren conference room. .
I own a company where I sell and design custom websites....
Need ideas for curtains
My daughter's room has double windows but a wood beam...
Door Color
This is a new construction and the floor is in. I was...