I am using carrara on my counters and island. The cabinets are a white dove color and the island will be a
eakcookMarch 21, 2013
mid dark stained alter wood. I am very traditional and will have a darked stain on the floors with older oriental rugs. Would you recommend using solid carrara for the backsplash, or a carrara type honed (my counter is honed) subway tile, or a solid color subway. The walls will be neutral, maybe elmira white. I would appreciate any suggestions and imput. Thanks so much
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Michael Robert Construction
Yes, I feel that subway tile - white- is a no-fail option for a backsplash. You can't go wrong. It won't be "showstopping" so to speak, but it sounds like your kitchen will have a number of other beautiful features. I'd say my favorite look, however, is using another slab of Carrara for the backsplash. Definitely not as economical as subway tile, but beautiful and timeless.
    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 10:18AM
PRO
I'm sorry, I didn't quite read your question correctly the first time! I think my answer would be the same, though. I would opt for either another piece of honed carrara to match your countertops first. Otherwise I would suggest a white subway tile over a marble subway tile.
    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 10:20AM
eakcook
Thanks for your quick response, my first thought was to continue the carrara up the backsplash, I love that look also. However,several people told me I need to break it up and get another texture, like subway tile.I was even told by a decorator that carrara up the backsplash with white cabinets would look sterile and institutional!! I like white subway, but I don't think it is me. I thought about carrara subway, but it may be too busy, and hard to find one to blend. It sounds like you are in my corner, and like the look of solid carrara. Thanks!
    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:40PM
PRO
It will definitely give it a more modern, contemporary twist than a tiled splash would, but I like that. Especially with the contrast of the warm wood floors and rugs you described. Go with your heart! And re-look at all the photos in your idea books- look for patterns (similarities in the pictures) that you may not have noticed before. That will tell you what you gravitate towards. Good luck and keep us updated!
    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:50PM
PRO
MarbleWarehousecom
You can use Calacatta Chiara Marble Mosaic for your backsplash. You could get them in a polished finish to add some shine.
    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:27AM