jools
June 19, 2011 in Photo Questions
I am remodeling my kitchen. I love this one! I am putting a refrigerator and a double wall oven next to each other. This wall will be seen from the dining area and will be used as a passageway from the den to the dining table I am starting to think I need a built in fridge! And that I need to pick my handles carefully! I'm looking at midrange appliances like Electrolux and Kitchen Aid. I love the industrial handles but I'm wondering if the look of these handles is too bulky for this area? The midrange appliances don't do quite as refined an industrial handle as the upscale ones. Will the bow and arrow (softer look) and a built-in be the right way to go? I would so appreciate any help! Thank you!
Vanessa Brunner
Hi jools! What a fun project! Do you have a photo of the space as-is? It might help give me a better idea of what you're working with.
0 Likes   June 30, 2011 at 6:16PM
jools
Fun in theory only. I have a very oddly shaped kitchen and there's going to be some wall busting etc. No pics yet sorry I'm not very good at that yet but I will try. I've decided to go with kitchen aid appliances and save $$ for fancier finishes like custom cabinetry and marble counters. Going with the bow and arrow appliance handles was counter intuitive since I always loved the look of the industrial handles. But I now think the industrial handles look best on the stoves (I have wall ovens) and the really high end appliances. Next decision will be whether or not to go for a built in fridge rather than just a counter depth. My kitchen designer is going to give me her input and I'm hoping she says the counter depth will be fine! Thank you for your interest. I'll let you know when I upload photos. :)
0 Likes   July 1, 2011 at 12:45PM
shvetaoak
Hi -I am debating about the bow handles vs. the square for our new kitchen. We will have a U shaped kitchen with built in wall ovens. I am leaning towards electrolux. I am also debating if it would look awful if I had a bow handle for the dishwasher (as the square handle sticks out) and doing the square for fridge and ovens. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks! :)
0 Likes   August 23, 2012 at 2:39PM
I have to admit, I do like the look of handles that either match or coordinate on appliances. Counter depth fridges can, with a wood frame around them, look very similar to built ins (and much cheaper). We chose a GE Monogram counter-depth fridge with two different options for handles because I got really fussy about handle styles when we were renovating our kitchen. It was fairly expensive, but much cheaper than going for a SubZero. But it mimics the handles and style of many built in models: http://appliances.monogram.com/ApplProducts/ZFGB21HYSS
1 Like   August 23, 2012 at 2:56PM
shvetaoak
Thanks! What if the dishwasher cant be seen unless one walks to one side of the island?
0 Likes   August 23, 2012 at 3:00PM
My apologies, I just looked at the details and they no longer offer the two different handle styles. The one shown is the one we chose.
0 Likes   August 23, 2012 at 3:01PM
I don't think it is a big issue if you aren't seeing the handles in the same visual field, but just FYI we ended up solving the dishwasher handle problem by going with a panel ready model and matching it to our cabinets. It looks seamless. All our other appliances, hood, etc. are SS.
0 Likes   August 23, 2012 at 3:05PM
shvetaoak
How does that work? Would the cabinet guy need to build something for us?
0 Likes   August 23, 2012 at 3:32PM
Rio Brewster
White marble counters look pretty when they are first installed, but they are very impractical. They will stain and etch very easily - even if you keep them sealed. I'm starting to see some good-looking quartz counters that approximate the look of the marble. You can add the marble to the backsplash.

If you must do marble, consider a honed finish. At least it won't etch if you spill white wine or vinegar.
0 Likes   August 23, 2012 at 3:34PM
Yes, shvetaoak, if you buy a panel ready dishwasher it will come with specs for the panel that your cabinetmaker can use to build a panel that looks just like your other cabinetry. Basically the dishwasher becomes invisible--it looks like another lower cabinet--and for the handle you use whatever handles you are using on your cabinets. Here are some pictures that give you a sense of how you can choose different patterns to match your cabinetry. Ours looks much like the dishwasher in the second photo on the right (the closed one):
Divine Kitchens LLC 1
Divine Kitchens LLC 2
Formal white kitchen with blue island - Mullet Cabinet
0 Likes   August 23, 2012 at 4:04PM
AMN
If a Viking oven's big-honkin' red knobs look good in that kitchen, then I think SS handles on a Kitchen Aid or Electrolux (what we have) will look just fine. Any time you do SS, they're going to look somewhat industrial. Until they start making appliances with oil rubbed bronze finishes, I think we're all stuck with the somewhat utilitarian look of SS, white, and black (unless you integrate into cabinetry completely).
0 Likes   August 23, 2012 at 4:11PM
shvetaoak
Thank you Feeney! Those pictures help a lot! That is a great idea. I will need to talk to the builder about it. Thanks for your input and ideas:)
0 Likes   August 23, 2012 at 6:04PM
Need ideas to harmonize design with new tufted bed and Ikea dressers
We currently have Ikea Malm dressers, a 6-drawer and...
Help w/staining a coffee table
Hi there - I have a black coffee table that I want...
need help my home office and library
I'm trying to built a home office with my existing...
Need help selecting a rug and PIllows
We just bought a house and trying to set up slowly....
Help converting bedroom w/ sitting room into more of a 'studio apt'
Hi all! Thanks for your help! I have a bit of an unusual...