Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jools

jools
12 years ago
I am remodeling my kitchen. I love this one! I am putting a refrigerator and a double wall oven next to each other. This wall will be seen from the dining area and will be used as a passageway from the den to the dining table I am starting to think I need a built in fridge! And that I need to pick my handles carefully! I'm looking at midrange appliances like Electrolux and Kitchen Aid. I love the industrial handles but I'm wondering if the look of these handles is too bulky for this area? The midrange appliances don't do quite as refined an industrial handle as the upscale ones. Will the bow and arrow (softer look) and a built-in be the right way to go? I would so appreciate any help! Thank you!
San Jose Res 2 · More Info

Comments (12)

• Vanessa Brunner
    12 years ago
    Hi jools! What a fun project! Do you have a photo of the space as-is? It might help give me a better idea of what you're working with.
  • jools
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Fun in theory only. I have a very oddly shaped kitchen and there's going to be some wall busting etc. No pics yet sorry I'm not very good at that yet but I will try. I've decided to go with kitchen aid appliances and save $$ for fancier finishes like custom cabinetry and marble counters. Going with the bow and arrow appliance handles was counter intuitive since I always loved the look of the industrial handles. But I now think the industrial handles look best on the stoves (I have wall ovens) and the really high end appliances. Next decision will be whether or not to go for a built in fridge rather than just a counter depth. My kitchen designer is going to give me her input and I'm hoping she says the counter depth will be fine! Thank you for your interest. I'll let you know when I upload photos. :)
  • shvetaoak
    11 years ago
    Hi -I am debating about the bow handles vs. the square for our new kitchen. We will have a U shaped kitchen with built in wall ovens. I am leaning towards electrolux. I am also debating if it would look awful if I had a bow handle for the dishwasher (as the square handle sticks out) and doing the square for fridge and ovens. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks! :)
  • shvetaoak
    11 years ago
    Thanks! What if the dishwasher cant be seen unless one walks to one side of the island?
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    My apologies, I just looked at the details and they no longer offer the two different handle styles. The one shown is the one we chose.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I don't think it is a big issue if you aren't seeing the handles in the same visual field, but just FYI we ended up solving the dishwasher handle problem by going with a panel ready model and matching it to our cabinets. It looks seamless. All our other appliances, hood, etc. are SS.
  • shvetaoak
    11 years ago
    How does that work? Would the cabinet guy need to build something for us?
  • Rio Brewster
    11 years ago
    White marble counters look pretty when they are first installed, but they are very impractical. They will stain and etch very easily - even if you keep them sealed. I'm starting to see some good-looking quartz counters that approximate the look of the marble. You can add the marble to the backsplash.

If you must do marble, consider a honed finish. At least it won't etch if you spill white wine or vinegar.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Yes, shvetaoak, if you buy a panel ready dishwasher it will come with specs for the panel that your cabinetmaker can use to build a panel that looks just like your other cabinetry. Basically the dishwasher becomes invisible--it looks like another lower cabinet--and for the handle you use whatever handles you are using on your cabinets. Here are some pictures that give you a sense of how you can choose different patterns to match your cabinetry. Ours looks much like the dishwasher in the second photo on the right (the closed one):
    Divine Kitchens LLC · More Info

Divine Kitchens LLC · More Info

Formal white kitchen with blue island - Mullet Cabinet · More Info
  • AMN
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If a Viking oven's big-honkin' red knobs look good in that kitchen, then I think SS handles on a Kitchen Aid or Electrolux (what we have) will look just fine. Any time you do SS, they're going to look somewhat industrial. Until they start making appliances with oil rubbed bronze finishes, I think we're all stuck with the somewhat utilitarian look of SS, white, and black (unless you integrate into cabinetry completely).
  • shvetaoak
    11 years ago
    Thank you Feeney! Those pictures help a lot! That is a great idea. I will need to talk to the builder about it. Thanks for your input and ideas:)