Different color
wakeupsandy28
Help! We put in flooring and bought Real wood for our stairs. But they are different colors. What can I do? And is it normal it different colors?
At this point, perhaps add a rug at the foot of your stairs - it will distract the eye from the difference.

I don't think there is much else you can do - but this is Houzz and you never know what other people might suggest........
March 21, 2013 at 12:32PM   
C Wright Design
Hi there! It looks as though the flooring and stairs could be two different species of wood or a different type of wood flooring (i.e. prefinished?). Is that possible? Either way, in the picture it looks as though it would be a simple matter of staining the stairs a bit darker in a color to closer match the floor. If the installer was the one who stained the floors I would ask him to come back and get closer in color this time which should be no problem. Good luck and feel free to write more if I have not answered your question. Cynthia Wright
March 21, 2013 at 12:34PM     
Stamps Design Services
Have you considered using paint on part of the steps? I have seen this technique done with writing, like in the picture and with various designs. Etsy.com carried wall clings in different sizes as well as writing, they are easy to use you press, and place.... if you want to change it out they are easily removed...
March 21, 2013 at 12:38PM     
restoredtreasurestoo
Is that the darkest stain you can purchase? A dark walnut may make it darker, unless that is what you used. Walnut stains tend to be a darker stain, just go over what you already did. See if that helps, or, like ASVInteriors said, a rug would break up the area and would look less noticeable.
March 21, 2013 at 12:40PM   
wakeupsandy28
We stained it twice. How many more times should we stain it?
March 21, 2013 at 12:48PM   
wakeupsandy28
So bottom floor is laminate and stair are real wood bc it's stronger. I hate it
March 21, 2013 at 12:55PM   
C Wright Design
Hi again! Be sure to check the color, as my computer shows the flooring looking like a dark reddish mahogany or a dark reddish cherry. You can get those stain colors - no problem - at the paint store. Just confirm what species of wood is on the stairs (it looks like oak), bring a sample of the flooring, and look at the stain colors ON THE SPECIES of wood that you have on the stairs (they have boards there with stain colors on different species of wood) - and just get as close as you can to your floor sample. If the floor is prefinished, which it looks like it may be, it will never match exactly the stair wood, but if you are in the same color family (hue) and darkness (value) it will look fine. Also, try to match the sheen (i.e. matte vs. satin vs. glossier). Not at all difficult. The people at the paint stores really want to help! Good luck! Cynthia Wright
March 21, 2013 at 12:58PM   
14thstreet
If you havent sealed the stairs yet, stain more with a darker stain.
March 21, 2013 at 12:59PM     
C Wright Design
Okay...you hate it...thats another issue. What do you hate? The not matching or the flooring or the stairs?
March 21, 2013 at 12:59PM   
Rachel Kenny
you could tile the riser on the steps which would break the link between the stirs and the floor and would draw your eye to the riser rather than the difference in the wood colour, other than that i'd say keep staining the stairs, sorry :(
March 21, 2013 at 1:09PM     
yvonnecmartin
They look fine to me. Probably only you notice this. If it bothers you, then a rug at the bottom or a runner on the stairs would help.
March 21, 2013 at 1:15PM   
wakeupsandy28
Thanks for all your ideas! I'm going to try and stain them again
March 21, 2013 at 1:22PM     
wakeupsandy28
Actually I hate the whole thing. I hate the floor bc it's laminate. I hate the stairs bc they don't match each other. I have a three level home and I wanted all the flooring to be one color but that is not happening.
March 21, 2013 at 1:28PM   
C Wright Design
I'm so sorry that you hate the whole thing. I can see that you have spent a lot of money and it's a big disappointment. How would you like to proceed? Do you want to change what you have or try to make it work? We all want to help.
March 21, 2013 at 1:47PM   
nononanna
Laminate and wood aren't going to match, so maybe you should try for a greater difference? Lighten the wood and the contrast might be acceptable It seems a shame to paint the wood now that it's in, but it's an option.

No rugs right at the botoom of stairs - really, really, bad idea.
March 21, 2013 at 2:02PM   
tennisanyone
That would bother me too. I hate the thought of carpet or a runner after you spent money on the new flooring but maybe that is an option too. Try staining them darker.
March 21, 2013 at 2:25PM   
jennaloo2
I would paint the risers white trim color and paint the treads a dark brown. Painted stairs that look different then the rest of the house are not unusual and wont stand out like what you currently have.
March 21, 2013 at 2:55PM     
wakeupsandy28
Went and got a different stain. Turned out a little darker but I am happy with it! Thanks Houzz community
March 21, 2013 at 3:12PM     
wakeupsandy28
Is there any way to make the stain lighter?
March 21, 2013 at 6:16PM   
restoredtreasurestoo
Perfect, now once you add your urethane it will make a huge difference too! Great job!
March 23, 2013 at 9:38PM   
restoredtreasurestoo
The only way to make it lighter would be to sand it down. I think what you did looks as close as you are ever going to get. The wood grain on the flooring is tighter than the wood grain on the stairs so it's still going to look different. I wouldn't do another thing, add three coats of polyurethane and I think you will be happy with it. I think it looks great!
March 23, 2013 at 9:43PM     
Need help for my master bedroom.
I recently just purchased these two tables and am planning...
Which Paint Color for Golden Bamboo Floors?
I need your guys help. I just bought this unit and...
What would you put on these windows?
I love the open window look in my breakfast room during...
Kitchen cabinet refurbishing
Hello! I need to refurbish the maple/ maple colored...