New front porch -- Z Brick or paint?
ikweweMarch 21, 2013
I am reposting this question with a picture, as I really need help. My house is a brick and stucco 1964 ranch in Florida. When I bought it, there was a screen porch covering the front door and making it unclear where the entrance was. I am now rebuilding an actual porch on the front, which will be screened, but hopefully will look more welcoming. Here is my dilemma:

On the new concrete knee wall, should I leave it as is, or face it with Z-Brick (a wonderful suggestion from my prior post), or paint it to match the house? I have samples coming from Z-Brick in Minnesota, to see if we can find a close match to the house bricks.

The posts are white vinyl, and the screen door will be white with an egret grille on it.
backbonemountain
Paint it. If you are going to put anything in front of it like plants, you would be covering it up anyway. Don't put extra money there.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by ikwewe    March 21, 2013 at 1:44PM
kehmcnulty
Can you stucco over some of the brick, or all and then paint? It looks pale blue. I am having trouble visualizing is the wall actually attached to the house, if it isn't u could move to end of house and throw away the wire fence.adds privacy. try and go with thicker posts on each end of the patio then maybe only one thicker post in the middle, (check building codes). The style reminds me of some spanish american architecture kind of flare to it.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:08PM
ikwewe
I hadn't thought of that, backbonemountain, it is a consideration, because I will have liriope and lantana in the front bed. It is relatively low but will definitely cover some of the wall.

kehmcnulty, the new knee wall will make a right angle on the right end of its current length of three panels and on the other side of the doorway on the left. From there it will attach to the house. The brick is actually attached to the house. I thought of painting it at first, but it is not a flat transition between the brick and the stucco, there is a six inch ledge on top of the brick. There are sprinkler pipes at the right end and in front of the porch that we do not want to move. The posts that are there are the new ones already, so I am stuck with them now. The house color is aquamarine.
    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:58PM
ikwewe
Looking at the picture, the concrete look is not working, is it? I imagine it will dry lighter, but still...
    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:59PM
Susan H
I personally think it would look better if it were faced in brick if you can find something that closely matches.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 3:53PM
ikwewe
I received the brick samples yesterday, and put them out by the existing brick. None are an exact match. I am leaning more toward painting the cement to match the house, aquamarine, with inset tiles, but will post pix of the bricks tomorrow.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:37PM
handymam
I like the idea of painting the concrete. It will bring the old and new parts together and give more depth to the house instead of it looking flat across the front. The tile insets are a nice idea! Yes! Post pix of whatever you decide!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:43PM
The Color People
Don't use the z brick. Paint! You can paint the brick or leave it just make sure the upper part goes with the lower so it no longer looks like a layer cake. If it is all painted the same color it can look quite nice especially if you use a light color so that your light roof color works with the body.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 7:59PM
kehmcnulty
I would go with a color thatis a few tones lighter than the brick, I don't think you want to choose a completely different color. you want the color of the house to blend in.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 4:30AM
ikwewe
kehmcnulty-- I looked at that site, was there a particular picture you wanted me to see? I am not sure which of the two colors, red terra cotta or aquamarine, you mean to be "a few tones lighter than the bridk." I am envisioning a paler terra cotta, maybe not so red. In paint, or in brick? One sample of the Z-Brick is a little lighter and less red.

Were you thinking the Luminaire house, that beautiful terra cotta? I like that but my husband will definitely be on Pink Patrol. We cannot have any Pink.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:26AM
ikwewe
RE: The Z-Brick, which I will be posting a picture of as soon as the sun hits the front of the house, the bricks are 8 by 2 inches, quite a bit smaller than the house bricks which are 2.5 by 11 inches. All the samples have black and white color shadings on them, while the house bricks do not. The face of the Z-Brick is flat, while the house bricks are evenly indented vertically.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:30AM
ikwewe
Color People -- I like the suggestion to paint the porch, but not the brick. I am chuckling about the layer cake, never thought of that picture. Luckily, I like cake! I debated painting the brick when we changed the color from white to aquamarine, and I just couldn't do it. I will probably change the paint color in ten years, and that will require another thread and a lot of winnowing ideas. Heck, it might take me the whole ten years to decide what colors to use.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:32AM
kehmcnulty
yes the luminaire house, of course not pink if there is an Ethan Allen store around you go and ask them about color. I had mentioned earlier look into like mediterranean type decor. Maybe hang some sheers inside the porch and twinkle lights inside the porch.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:49AM
kehmcnulty
I would not paint the brick. I would paint the stucco , I would change the aquamarine color. I think someone said earlier, you can plant things infront of it. Buy big pots and do stuff with thaT
1 Like    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:55AM
DIAspoton
paint it and spend some $ on flower power. your sunny florida place could look so cool with an abundance of deep pink, red and purple bouganvilla and fuschia, lantana and roses and low growing ornamental grasses.. do it right no one will even notice the wall. line the walk to your front door with liriope. if all that isn't enough, install a low fence along the front of the yard about 4' in from the street and fill in front of it with more colorful pernnials.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:04AM
ikwewe
Ethan Allen has paint? The nearest store to me is about 35 miles away in Viera. I could call them. Changing the paint on the house right now is not an option, although I am thinking of changing the trim color. Cream, charcoal, straw, something. My coral front door is similar to your suggested color, and just the door squeaked through the Pink barrier.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:14AM
ikwewe
DIAspoton! I have the liriope (variegated clumping) and the lantana all ready for in front of the porch. I also have some gorgeous amaryllis I was going to plant there but unfortunately the lubbers chew them to the ground, so I am not sure where I can put them. Lotsa lubbers (humongous yellow grasshoppers), and I am not here to manage them in their hungry season. My landscaper does not want me to line the walkway because he needs to cross it with his giant lawnmower, so I have contented myself with the flax lilies and Queen palms just in the beds near the street. I might get away with liriope along the walkway in front of the house.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:20AM
ikwewe
Here is the rest of the front of the house. That bed mid-yard is meant to get larger and balance that high garage wall. We love the inside of the garage. The outside look, not so much. Looking at the whole thing and thinking of the rosy terra cotta kehmcnulty suggested, it would look good. But pinkish. :( Well, I have 10 years to decide. :)
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:47AM
kehmcnulty
so im curious.....what are those tiny square objects by all the windows?
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:09AM
brody1313
I love the aqua for Florida........paint the brick aqua, keep some gray to tie in the roof, stucco over brick if possible for a smooth finish, increase width of columns on porch , landscape as above with lots of palms and all those beautiful flowers all the rest of us can not grow..., change the chain link fence, at least in the front if possible....what a fun house to work on...my son lives in Florida, it's a different world........
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by ikwewe    March 25, 2013 at 7:12AM
kehmcnulty
don't drive to Ethan Allen. I would find someone with color expertise, get references and look at there work onlin. Your house does not have really high exterior walls so you could easily paint yourself.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:13AM
    Bookmark   Thanked by ikwewe    March 25, 2013 at 8:41AM
ikwewe
kehmcnulty, the squares are Mexican tiles in random patterns, just for pretty. There used to be ugly brown shutters there, non-functional. I like quirky little pretty details, hence the Mexican tiles. There will be some on the front of the porch, including tile house numbers.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:09AM
ikwewe
Brody, the brick projects out from the house a good six inches, so there would be a ridge going all around. We thought of it, also painting the brick, but ruled it out for now. The more budget friendly option was to just paint the stucco and trim. I do have a ten year plan to redo the outside again. I do love it here for the brilliant sun and the ability to grow houseplants outdoors. A lot of my houseplants came down with me and moved into the yard here.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:13AM
ikwewe
Here are the Z Bricks with the house bricks. I have three different colors of Z Bricks. Also a wider shot to show the Mexican tiles.

LOL, that mule shadow is pretty good, right? It's an amaryllis on a plant stand to make the ears and muzzle and the shadow of the awning to make the neck.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:51PM
kehmcnulty
So which one do you like the best.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 1:10PM
ikwewe
I think the middle one, but in different lights, the left one is better. The right one is not really close enough. There is a lot of black in the left and center one.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 1:17PM
Robin James
Ha love the mule ears! That brick is so pink! I think the white plastic posts need to fade away . IS there any product you can use on them? I would match the brick look on the walls to the concret planter, and make the porch columns blue to match the walls, and paint the edge of the roof line dark to match the bricks.
    Bookmark   Thanked by ikwewe    March 25, 2013 at 1:25PM
Robin James
I would like to see bright purple and yellow and orange in the planter box
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 1:25PM
ikwewe
Robin, I've got your yellow and orange covered with the lantana for in the bed in front of the concrete wall. No purple yet. The concrete is just a wall, not a planter box. The columns are vinyl and I am assured we can paint them with a particular primer. I like the idea of painting them to match the house.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 1:50PM
kehmcnulty
Iagreed, i lean towards the middleone but these samples don't look like the same size. If you are going to be putting this above the 6" ledge you could get away with starting a new pattern or brick don't you think? so what is your plan for the new brick?
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 3:08PM
ikwewe
I am planning to MAYBE put the brick on the front of the new porch. That is the whole question, do I want to make the porch sort of match the bottom of the house, or the top of the house? I am now leaning to the paint option on the front of the new porch kneewalls.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 3:29PM
ikwewe
We painted the wall to match the house, aqua. The columns are still white. There are pretty tiles along the front of the wall and we have that fantastic egret screen door grille. I have a picture but it is hiding on me at the moment. I will be back to post it when it turns up.
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 7:22PM
Need ideas for front porch! Paint or stain?
We just bought this raised ranch and the front porch...
craigslistdad
Front Door and Porch help for this American Foursquare
Closing soon on this 1915 Home. It has has had new...
sew1108
Want to upgrade the looks of my front porch with new door & screen door.
We are ready to buy a new front entrance door and screen...
skydancer15
What should I do to my front steps. Paint, tile, brick ? Door color ?
Trying to figure out the material and color for my...
D W
New look for front porch! Help!
Cream house, brown/rust roof, rust-colored door and...
Joan Powell Wallace
open up kitchen and dining room Baltimore duplex
I have a brick, traditional duplex with a 9'x11' kitchen...
John Merson
We need design ideas for building a roof over our front porch.
We would love to add a roof over our existing front...
tdstall
ANY PLUMBERS OUT THERE?
WANT TO REPLACE VANITY IN GUEST BATH- EXISTING ONE...
house2514
What kind/ color of Curtains for a Small beige formal living room
What kind and color curtains for small formal living...
rosem55
Please help!
I really need help with my entrance, sunken living...
sarahdallan