Painted fireplace
Carol Lynch
Previous owner painted fireplace white & I want it to look like the natural stone. Don't want to sandblast, was thinking faux painting?
Riddle Construction and Design
If you don't want to sandblast, I guess you have nothing to loose with faux painting. If you don't like it you can just paint it white again. Other idea is to overlay it with faux stone but that's considerably more expensive than painting. I guess it depends on your expectations in the end.
March 21, 2013 at 5:10pm   
carolannr
Taking that old paint off would be a mess no matter what method you try. I would try to paint a base color similar to the tans and beiges of natural stone and then try using some glazing liquid in several shades to provide some depth to the color. But, you have to realize this will always look more real from a distance so make sure you ck your work from a distance . I'm also hoping that the original fireplace wasn't brick - its really hard to get the nooks and crannies of stone if you start with flat surface bricks. Otherwise, to get the stone look you're going to have to re-do.
March 21, 2013 at 5:29pm   
onthefence
Here's a fireplace faux paint method I've had bookmarked for a while. SYou're already part way there because you have a base color. As Riddle Construction said, if it doesn't work, you can go back to white and start over.
http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/idea-library/projects/modern_fireplace_1010.aspx
March 21, 2013 at 5:43pm     
handymam
onthefence, that is genius!! I will be bookmarking that for sure! It is soooo believable and doesn't look painted.
March 21, 2013 at 5:46pm   
onthefence
Thanks so much handymam! I'm glad you like it. You can tell I've been fiddling with ideas on how to give my FP bricks a little oomph ;-) What I want to test is just using the second stage of the process in the link on random bricks. It's on the list - as are oh so many projects ;-)
March 21, 2013 at 6:07pm   
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Does this room need curtains?
Backyard is woods so we don't need curtains for privacy....
Need help identifying front steps.
I have a Tudor home. Our front steps need to be replaced...
help with living/dining space
My living dining room is about 25 ft long with a 15ft...