Need help with safe access to Slipper or Claw Foot tub...
aspire2bacat
I don't need anyone to dissuade me from getting either of the subject tubs, I am looking for an ATTRACTIVE solution to access either style tub by an older person. I realize this is a daunting task and this style is NOT ideal for an older person, but I am curious if anyone has come up with an solution. I may end up having something custom created, if what I'm after does not already exist. This is for a guest bathroom, which will be infrequently used by guests for bathing/showering purposes.
felixgrantham
I put in a large tub with an edge that it large enough to sit on. It's probably about 2 feet off the floor.
Sorry, don't recommend claw foot for older crowd because you can't really put a grab bar & tubs with flatter bottoms are less prone to cause slips.
March 21, 2013 at 4:09pm   
apple_pie_order
Look on websites for health aids for older adults.
March 21, 2013 at 4:14pm   
carolannr
I don't think there is a safe way for someone of any age especially when movement is not what it used to be to use a tub like this. They aren't too safe for any age actually with their curved bottoms, no place to balance getting in and out except wall mounted towel bars, and if they have a big exterior lip, even a child has a hard time getting in and out. Grew up with one and I think I was almost eight before I was tall enough to get into it by myself - and I was a tall kid! Even putting a chair next to it to kind of slide in (like you can do with almost every other kind of tub) doesn't work because the sides are too high. Unless you stand right in the middle, its very easy to fall in these tubs too. They look really cool but that's about it.
March 21, 2013 at 4:26pm     
aspire2bacat
Appreciate the health aids reco, but I'm looking for attractive solutions ;) Those people know nothing about making health aids look like anything but something that belongs in a hospital or care facility unfortunately. I'll have to have something custom made.
March 22, 2013 at 8:28am   
An elegant winch? (Sorry, trying to think out of the box here!)
March 22, 2013 at 8:31am   
Need help finding out age of cast iron claw foot tub for our bathroom
Number on bottom shows large #19, with a space and...
JO
Need help determining age of cast iron claw foot tub
Need help with claw foot tub
My husband and I purchased a renovated claw foot tub...
Tub decision big(ger), small, or claw foot? help needed!
We have gutted out the bathroom in our beach house; ...
Need to understand differences in countertop materials
Beginning a bathroom remodel. What is the best countertop...
Undermount sink questions
We've got an undermount sink installed in out granite...
What color should our gutters & downspouts be?
We are having gutters installed next week & I have...
Guest bed drama! Advice for twin XL pop up trundle
I'm looking for a twin XL bed frame that is high enough...