Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia_berwick

Remodel kitchen

Alicia
11 years ago
We are about to remodel our 90's kitchen......we have warm hues now and I would like to switch, but I'm not sure how? We are planning on replacing the granite, floors, and paint

Comments (56)

• PRO
    Wingren Design
    11 years ago
    True Norm. But, 10 years from now, granite will still be nice and the cabinets will still be the cabinets. If they still live there problem. If they moved 4 years earlier, no problem. Very nice space, I like the door style. Not the layout so much.
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    Alicia, it's your kitchen, what do you think?
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    11 years ago
    Alicia, Sounds like you decided to make some needed changes. I hope your list of items to update are the lighting fixtures and the wallpaper in the breakfast nook area. Starting with the hardware, I like to update a kitchen with nickel. Cabinet pulls, drawer pulls and carry through to the door hardware and light switches. I would suggest Carrera Marble for the island and Honed Absolute Black for the countertops. For the walls I would ask you to consider Venetian Plaster in dove grey. For the floor I like to do a boarder in these tiles around the perimeter of the kitchen and use a light travertine.
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Sorry that Travertine was the wrong shade, this one is better.

And after looking at your kitchen I would have a larger overhang on the island top than the existing one.
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    11 years ago
    Oops Forgot to address the backsplash, One of my favorite tiles to use in a kitchen.
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much for all the help! we had our home on the market and the biggest complaint was the counter tops ........... yes, this kitchen has served me well for 10 years, however since we have decided to stay and update I just want some different. I actually replaced the hardware ,,,,,,which is not in the pictures and they are nickel! We are planning on taking down the wallpaper and I was thinking about putting bead board around the windows and eating area. Thank you Serra Design Inc. That is exactly what I was looking for. My main question was where to start with paint, going from the warm hues to cool?
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    and we plan on staying here for a while.......We will be replacing the light......what about our back splash, which I really like.....will that go well, with the cooler colors?
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 years ago
    Alicia...your backsplash looks great. However, when they take out the countertops, the tile gets damages. If you have extra pieces, no problem. A warm stone gray from Sherwin Williams would look beautiful against your lighter cabinets. A bronze or black light fixture would work well over the dinette table. Hang it 30-32 inches above he table top. White marble on the island (which could be painted contrasting color) and absolute black on counters. 3rd picture shows the warm gray against the white cabinetry. Still looks warm, but crispy cool at the same time.
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Kitchen · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info
  • blakeahart
    11 years ago
    Alicia, your kitchen has great bones! All it needs is some updating. Starting with the countertops, I would change them to either white of charcoal gray material. This will add dramatic change to the feel of your room. Quartz countertops are a great option, because they are less expensive than marble and are durable. As for the backsplash, I think light gray glass tiles would look nice, and help add a cooler tone to the room. If you are planning to change the floors, dark hardwood or grey hardwood will look great. One simple thing that will easily update the room is painting the walls light gray. It will give the room a more airy feeling. Lastly, changing the lighting over the island will brighten up and update your kitchen. Chrome hanging pendants will be great. Good luck on your renovation!
  • blakeahart
    11 years ago
    Here's some more photos I thought could help!
  • pitbulls
    11 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen. If it was my space I would change the granite, go with stainless appliances,remove the wall paper by the dining table and add a chocolate wash to the kitchen cabinets.
  • slokar2
    11 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen! love the white cabinets. depending on granite color, changing out the backsplash to a pretty (aqua?) glass tile would give a more updated look.
  • PRO
    SweetRemodel.com
    11 years ago
    A soft grey paint color could look really nice in the dining area and into the kitchen.

I agree that pendant lighting over the island would give it an updated look, but I would go with something to match the light over the table.

For floors, there are downsides to wood floors in a kitchen and you might want to consider a large floor tile that ends at the peninsula and gives some visual separation between rooms.

For countertops I recommend checking out a grey quartz. Something like this would nicely compliment your white cabinets and current backsplash. And you could give more of an overhang on the island as someone else suggested. If big enough you could put some stools under if there is enough space to pass. I put together an article on comparing the different types of countertops, in case it's helpful. http://www.sweetremodel.com/top-kitchen-countertops-at-a-glance/

If your appliances work fine you could consider just applying a stainless steel cover film to give them an updated look. I've never tried it but from pics online it seems really cool.
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    11 years ago
    Above it was mentioned to do a wash over the cabinets, I like this idea, If you are leaning towards a grey kitchen or you may consider a pewter glaze over the existing doors. Since the idea has been opened to removing the box over the island and adding lighting pendants I thought i would chime in with these pendants, I would use 2 over the island. Fire Grande Pendants
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank You all for your help!! Here it is finished!
  • blakeahart
    10 years ago
    Looks great!!
    Alicia thanked blakeahart
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    10 years ago
    Bravo! I see you added Beadboard wainscot, changed the paint, changed the countertops, new cooktop, got new dining chairs and china hutch, added pendants, new farmhouse sink and faucets. What are we not seeing? send more pix please
    Alicia thanked Serra Design Inc
  • pitbulls
    10 years ago
    beautiful.Enjoy
    Alicia thanked pitbulls
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Serra Design Inc......thank you we actually remodeled (well, I subcontracted the entire remodel myself!) the entire house! Here are some pictures: I don't know what I would have done without the help of all you guys! I was able to show my subs what I wanted by pulling up this website! The paint in the kitchen does not do it justice......it looks gray/green on camera but I would say it is more gray. I LOVE it......in fact I LOVE my house now. The only problem I.m now having is the Master Bedroom.....can't seem to pull it together :/ but here are the pics. Thank you thank you, thankyou!
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are some more:
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Lovely lovely home!
    Alicia thanked bevballew
  • txreynolds
    10 years ago
    Paint the walks, Change the counter tops and overhead light, keep the floor if its real wood just stain them darker.
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ?????? txreynolds did you see the remodel? It is done :)
  • jesse16
    10 years ago
    I like it the way it is. Without spending too much you could update by changing wall colour, adding drapes for warmth and change, and probably countertops too, depending on your budget. Sorry if you answered that, because I didn't read comments.
  • micstamper
    10 years ago
    It looks great! I especially like your paint choice.
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    jesse 16 above your comment is the total makeover.....here is a sample :)
  • sandiocd
    10 years ago
    Lovely! Such an improvement from the green countertops! Your home looks so inviting...
    Alicia thanked sandiocd
  • PRO
    Dezign Studio Inc
    10 years ago
    Beautiful ! Now u can upload your Master bedroom pic, if u are ready for another project !
    Alicia thanked Dezign Studio Inc
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Now I need help with this room......cannot seem to make it work?
  • PRO
    Signature Home Services
    10 years ago
    I have to say I love your kitchen also. I think that if you changed up a few things it would bring it back to life for you. I really don't think that you need much. Beautiful!
  • PRO
    Dezign Studio Inc
    10 years ago
    What are the dimensions of your bedroom ? Are you happy with the layout or just want to replace or add a few pieces. Do you want to change the carpet or keep it . What items can be changed, and what items are going to stay ? Also if you start a new thread for tthis room ,you will get more responses, otherwise the replies will be mostly about the kitchen. Also what is your budget on this project ?
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have another Thread about this and it shows and tells all about it :)
  • PRO
    Dezign Studio Inc
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thanks, Will look at it .
  • loubelou
    10 years ago
    I love your 90's kitchen which doesn't look it all.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    She just replaced the tops. You need to read the posts. She has completely remodeled from the very first post.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Nice bedroom! Need artwork, adding more color to the bed, then drapery. Look to the designers for ideas!
  • DR Utter
    10 years ago
    I am in the process of a kitchen remodel. I like your sink! Are you still happy with it? Any pros / cons about it you could share?
    Alicia thanked DR Utter
  • dooders1981
    10 years ago
    Curious as to why your sink is not an undermount?
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I LOVE my sink and the best part is the price! It is from ikea and it was 312.00!!! there are a couple of negatives, 1. it comes with only 1 faucet hole.....so you will have to buy that accordingly. and I dont think I have another :) I love porcelain much more than stainless......it just looks sooo clean and fresh!
  • dooders1981
    10 years ago
    It is lovely. I'm looking at double bowl farmhouse sinks like that. Can that one be under mounted?
    Alicia thanked dooders1981
  • A ME
    10 years ago
    Alicia -A question about layout - am considering reworking mine to be similar to yours - would you prefer to have the fridge on your wall with the cooktop, or where the desk is , or is it convenient enough where it is? Those are my 2 current thoughts for location...And do you find your island wide enough at 24"base cabinets plus small overhang, or would you choose bigger if you could?
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    dooders..... yes it can....A ME, Ive really never thought about it, so I guess it works! :)
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    10 years ago
    You could restain that floor to look really different if you wanted to. A jacobean stain or similar would give it a more modern feel.
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    10 years ago
    I would recommend shutters for the windows they are very durable and look great!

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto.html
  • cinbu
    10 years ago
    Hi Alicia, Would you mind sharing the paint color you used for your kitchen? I am looking for a gray/green.. thanks! It looks sooo good btw. We have a white kitchen with blue counters, after seeing yours I'm thinking... :)
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I actually really enjoy the color of the cabinets but love the idea of changing the granite. I think if you went for a more cottage chic look with lighter colors it would be an improvement! Good luck!
  • rikkigoodman
    10 years ago
    I think this kitchen is beautiful. The only changes I would recommend would be changing the countertops, the chandelier, the window treatment and the wall color. You would see a significant difference with those minor enhancements. Good luck!
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The color of the remodeled kitchen is Gateway Gray by SW. :)