Need help for the family room
Mary Rose Dizon
We have recently bought this red chilli leather sofa and would need to finalize the layout of the area. Plan is to put the TV cabinet to where the brown 2-seater is (between the two french doors which will face the dining room), the red sofa to where the TV cabinet is, and perhaps the brown sofa to where the red sofa. I'd like to have a different shade for the wall to where the red sofa will be and line the upper wall with picture shelves (narrower than the regular book shelves). Thinking of wallpapering one wall in damask pattern and shade similar to my dining chair. Or an exposed red or white brick wallpaper perhaps? The family area is smaller than the dining room and I dont want it to further look small. If paint is simpler any specific suggestion for a Dulux brand? The carpet would have to go as well.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Hang your TV on the wall, without the barrel stave cabinet. Get rid of the two brown sofas, the area rug and the huge table. None of these items work with the red sofa or your dining chairs. Try a smaller round dining table to match the chair legs. Paint walls the gray of your dining chairs or darker. Buy two swivel, club or accent chairs to angle with a table on the wall where the sofa and long piece of art are.. All of your art is hung too high and I can't really see any bookshelves you are referring to. The idea of hanging anything on the "upper wall" is not a good one. Art that is not with furniture should hang with the center at 60" above the floor. Art hanging above a piece of furniture should visually attach to the furniture at about 4-8" above it. Shop homedecorators.com for a larger area rug with red, gray and black in it. Try a feminine pattern that will echo the femininity of the dining chair damask.
March 23, 2013 at 6:52pm   
bcgirl80
Hey all - not sure if you have a iPad - I found a new app called Room Planner Chief Architect Software. It's amazing for simple planning of furniture or remodel. Easy to use. You can play as long as you want.
March 23, 2013 at 6:57pm   
latifeh
Before I forget damask wall paper in the same color pallet of your chairs behind the red sofa will look perfect and then the other room gray if you can paint your dining table glossy black will make it look it meant to go with the chairs. About your other furniture I am not in love with Idea of keeping it cause its not gonna go with the the new design but it depends on your budget have you ever thought of slip cover gray will look perfect and for your tv cabinet if you have to have it try to paint it too could be black or darker shade of gray
March 23, 2013 at 7:06pm   
Mary Rose Dizon
Hi decoenthusiaste, thank you for the ideas. Yes, I do like the idea of hanging the TV on the wall and put a gas fireplace there too (there is a gas point on that wall). I have to keep the big cabinet for now though due to budget. I do love the idea of a swivel chairs (in white leather!) Thank you for mentioning the rules in wall hanging!!! We bought the house last year and have re-used all existing nails. The rug will definitely GO and will keep in mind the black, red and gray combination. The bookshelves are not in place yet but will be once we've moved the furnitures around. Thank you again.
March 25, 2013 at 2:28am   
Mary Rose Dizon
Bcgirl80, not yet but planning to get the kids one next month. Will keep that app in mind. Thanks a lot!
March 25, 2013 at 2:29am   
Mary Rose Dizon
Latifeh, thanks for the paint idea! I just might try and do that after I finish the walls. The old sofa does have some sentimental values (in memory of our 3 pet dogs) that is why I wanted to keep at least one of them. I will check that damask wallpaper again and see if hubby will like it. Thank you!!!
March 25, 2013 at 2:42am   
Need help with designing porch off of family room & family room
The rooms connect and doors are left opened most of...
Family Room - Need Help Decorating/Furnishing this Family Room
The room is a light gray color with white trim, hardwood...
Modern Family needs help with BORING Family Room in new house
We sold our super stylish/hip mid century modern home...
need help divididing grand room to living room an family room
At the moment I have one extra large living room and...
Help with bedroom furniture
We have purchased this bed for our new home master...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Photo wall help
Which wall? Can I use different frames as I did already?...
Back Porch Decor? What do you think?
I am trying to spiff up the back porch and would love...
New kitchen, but just not working.
Hi all. Here is my dilemma. We built this house...