Home office help!
tjs4
I've got a home office/family room combo. I like to be on the computer while watching TV and my laptop's battery is pretty NIL. I don't have any other rooms in the house for my office, so it's pretty much here. My issue is STORAGE. I've got a little 2 hole cubby behind my desk on the floor, and my washstand has my printer and winter hats/gloves & blankets in it. It's super cluttered but I need more storage for other desk items. I'm considering replacing the chair with a white one without arms, or maybe an aluminum one for contrast - What do you all think?
Also, I know IKEA has a floor-to-ceiling shelving unit that I'm considering, and it will have to replace both the wash stand and the little cubby due to space constraints. I'd probably replace it with a coathook on the wall and more shelving. Since the office is open to the rest of the room, the storage solution and the chair need to look good. I plan on taking the vintage med. cabinet down and replacing it with a letter holder/ chalkboard/key holder that I've got. Thoughts??
astraea
I think there's more office furniture these days that can "close up" when it's not being used .. like an armoire, so it wouldn't detract from your living space.

Also search on "home office" and "home office furniture" here, and you may find just the right piece for storage.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:42AM
WorkSpaces Inc.
You are pretty snug in that office arrangement! Much could be done without spending money to have a less cluttered look (e.g., different colors, fewer patterns). For storage, use your vertical space. A smaller chair would help. Purchase as much quality as you can! We see a lot of people who bought cheap furniture that fell apart and now they come to us for something that will last.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:35AM
tjs4
Unfortunately, the desk has to stay - it's an antique I can't bear to part with! I'm kind of thinking about this type of vertical shelving. Not sure if a regular bookshelf would work or look too closed or if I should do just a lot of shelves grouped together...
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:45AM
A Crew of Two
You don't say what your budget is, but this is from amazon.com $600
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:47AM
WorkSpaces Inc.
tsj4 - your antique desk is delightful. Sounds like you'd be happier with closed storage on the bottom (to hide things) and open on top (for a more spacious look). Keep it simple and try to match, or blend with) the desk color for consistency.

- Wendy
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 12:34PM
tjs4
Absolutely! I love that idea, Wendy! Should I go with a smaller chair in metal or painted white for a bit of pop? Or stay with wood?
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:14PM
WorkSpaces Inc.
A good chair is important for comfort and ergonomics, but not sure what your budget is. Look for one that has some adjustments if you can. Either white or the same wood color will work - mixing wood colors may not. How attached are you to the pink lamp and curtain? They really draw the eye and if you change them to a subtler color the room should look more cohesive.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:54PM
tjs4
The pink is actually the accent color for the three open rooms, so that's why those are there. I've got the same color splashed around the room too, you just can't see it :)
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 7:12AM
Need help with office colours on office wall in home
I have an light oak desk with burgundy top, floor is...
roadtoavonlea
Husband's Home Office, NeedHelp!
Hi, my husband works from home 90% of the time! He...
lmeter
Office with treadmill, need help with furniture placement,
We are still finishing this multipurpose room. We will...
hellotara
Need help on Home Office for two. Both work at home
Need to have a design and procure furniture for home...
tomhresko
Home Office Help!
We have a 10x10 room that we would like to use as a...
christiemb6
Please help my "semi-formal" living room
Houzzers, it's been over 2 years since we moved into...
Lori
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Fireplace mantel decor
I'm redecorating our mantel and need help with decor...
ldbwalter
Need help/advice for my kitchen
I have solid cherry wood kitchen cabinets which still...
d_haley
Du Chateau Aletier Sea Smoke has anyone seen it installed used it?
Has anyone used them? I am considering this color Sea...
Lisa Saunders