Horizontal stripes with a vaulted ceiling?
Shannon Pavey
I'm loving horizontal stripes and thinking about painting them on a big, somewhat empty wall in my family room. I don't like clutter so I'm thinking stripes might add character without being too fussy. I plan to repaint this room very soon and just want to know... Stripes or no stripes? The walls will be a warm taupe color (Frazee OTT).
leelee
Won't horizontal stripes make your wall look fat? Seriously, I think that isn't a good idea. It would fight with your large picture which has the appearance of layers (stripes) among other things. I have seen a very interesting look done by painting one vertical stripe in flat paint and right next to it the same color paint in satin paint and so on, creating a very subtle almost wallpaper look. Stripes were about 5" wide but again, they were vertical. I'm not recommending that process for you--just thought I'd share my striped paint story.
1 Like   March 22, 2013 at 12:52PM
Shannon Pavey
leelee, I do like the idea of using the same color in two sheens. I understand what you're saying and leaning away from horizontal stripes. Maybe wider vertical stripes in the same color but two sheens?
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 1:04PM
leelee
Hi Shannon, that two sheen effect gave a very formal look similar to a rich fabric. I don't think you'd be happy with it in your den. If you are dying to try it on something go with a small wall like in a powder room or a bedroom. I really don't think your den needs much. You want a change though, I can tell. Why don't you change the color of the two white wooden tables? Maybe to a darker version of the aqua in your pillows?
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 1:15PM
Shannon Pavey
What about horizontal stripes in the kitchen nook? It's a small area but might add some interest to the room. The kitchen, nook and family room are all one big space. Just a note, the walls will also get painted and new drapery panels. Flooring will also be changed (someday!).
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 1:35PM
calikym
Look at geometric wallpapers for the dining area.
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 1:41PM
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 1:44PM
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 1:45PM
Jayme H.
It can be done nicely
1 Like   March 22, 2013 at 1:52PM
carolins
Hi,
I did a rough (very rough) mock-up of what horizontal stripes would look like:
2 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 1:56PM
Jayme H.
Look on Houzz under "horizontal stripes for examples"..that's where I got the pics...There are examples of wider, thinner, etc..This could also help give an idea. The look can change a lot depending on the size and color of the stripes.
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 1:59PM
Shannon Pavey
calikym, we have imperfect smooth walls so I'm not sure how well the wallpaper would adhere to the surface. I love geometric patterns though, very fun! Jayme, love the size of the cream colored stripes. That's like what I had in mind. carolins, now you have me going back to stripes in the family room! It seems to anchor the room nicely. I could move the two mirrors in the hallway to the family room if the artwork clashes too much with the stripes.
2 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 2:14PM
Jayme H.
@Shannon..I did see some nice examples on Houzz..just searched
"all rooms" and typed in horizontal stripes in search box...Maybe u will get a good idea for inspiration..I have done horizonal and vertical stripes in bedrooms... haven't tried them in other rooms, but am liking some of the pics I have been seeing.
1 Like   March 22, 2013 at 2:20PM
Shannon Pavey
Well, my husband just gave his input and he's not liking the stripes. I'll have to find another way to add some personality to this room. Maybe the new paint color will do the trick. :)
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 2:27PM
Jayme H.
Do u like area rugs? Are u changing out any of your tables You could bring out the blue in your pic..use it in accessories such as rug/throws, drapery etc.
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 2:38PM
Shannon Pavey
I like area rugs on hardwood or tile floors, not so much on carpet. We're eventually replacing our floors and will definitely add an area rug then. I'm putting up new drapery in the nook area which is also open to the family room. I've picked out faux silk drapes from Target (which are awesome!) in a beautiful blue color. We already have them in another room in the house. I've also considered Hunter Douglas woven wood shades. I think the main issue with this room is that it needs color. I'd like to get a new accent chair in the corner of the room. We've had the leather one for awhile... wouldn't mind changing it. Cost Plus has a really fun peacock blue chair with nailheads. I'm waiting to see if it goes on sale. :)
3 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 3:13PM
Jayme H.
Peacock would be the ticket!! Would really brighten it up!! Show results please!
1 Like   March 22, 2013 at 4:21PM
Lisa Carlisle
How about a large mirror hung horizontally to open the space and add life. Then stage the furniture.
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 4:33PM
Shannon Pavey
I had the two mirrors in the hallway above the sectional for a long time and moved them when I bought the artwork. The height of the artwork fit the space better. Although, a larger mirror would work too....
1 Like   March 22, 2013 at 4:48PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I like them but I'd fade them out towards the end-Ombre stripes....
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 4:50PM
Vertical or Horizontal Stripes
In regards to painted stripes on a wall or any wall...
Yellow stripes - vertical or horizontal?
We're thinking of painting our little girl's bedroom...
Horizontal or vertical stripes make a room feel bigger?
With wallpaper are vertical or horizontal stripes better...
Need urgent help Please
I have to choose a color for my living room, and i...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Length of drapes
My husband and I are in month five of rehabbing our...
Need help to cover exterior white brick
We added a second story 12 years ago and would now...
Any suggestions for updating our fireplace wall in our family room?
I really don't mind the redbrick on the fireplace surround...