Horizontal stripes with a vaulted ceiling?

Shannon PaveyMarch 22, 2013
I'm loving horizontal stripes and thinking about painting them on a big, somewhat empty wall in my family room. I don't like clutter so I'm thinking stripes might add character without being too fussy. I plan to repaint this room very soon and just want to know... Stripes or no stripes? The walls will be a warm taupe color (Frazee OTT).
leelee
Won't horizontal stripes make your wall look fat? Seriously, I think that isn't a good idea. It would fight with your large picture which has the appearance of layers (stripes) among other things. I have seen a very interesting look done by painting one vertical stripe in flat paint and right next to it the same color paint in satin paint and so on, creating a very subtle almost wallpaper look. Stripes were about 5" wide but again, they were vertical. I'm not recommending that process for you--just thought I'd share my striped paint story.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 12:52PM
Shannon Pavey
leelee, I do like the idea of using the same color in two sheens. I understand what you're saying and leaning away from horizontal stripes. Maybe wider vertical stripes in the same color but two sheens?
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:04PM
leelee
Hi Shannon, that two sheen effect gave a very formal look similar to a rich fabric. I don't think you'd be happy with it in your den. If you are dying to try it on something go with a small wall like in a powder room or a bedroom. I really don't think your den needs much. You want a change though, I can tell. Why don't you change the color of the two white wooden tables? Maybe to a darker version of the aqua in your pillows?
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:15PM
Shannon Pavey
What about horizontal stripes in the kitchen nook? It's a small area but might add some interest to the room. The kitchen, nook and family room are all one big space. Just a note, the walls will also get painted and new drapery panels. Flooring will also be changed (someday!).
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:35PM
calikym
Look at geometric wallpapers for the dining area.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:41PM
calikym
Imperial Trellis Wallpaper · More Info
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:44PM
calikym
beach bungalow 8 houzz tour · More Info
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:45PM
Jayme H.
It can be done nicely
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:52PM
carolins
Hi,
I did a rough (very rough) mock-up of what horizontal stripes would look like:
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:56PM
Jayme H.
Look on Houzz under "horizontal stripes for examples"..that's where I got the pics...There are examples of wider, thinner, etc..This could also help give an idea. The look can change a lot depending on the size and color of the stripes.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:59PM
Shannon Pavey
calikym, we have imperfect smooth walls so I'm not sure how well the wallpaper would adhere to the surface. I love geometric patterns though, very fun! Jayme, love the size of the cream colored stripes. That's like what I had in mind. carolins, now you have me going back to stripes in the family room! It seems to anchor the room nicely. I could move the two mirrors in the hallway to the family room if the artwork clashes too much with the stripes.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 2:14PM
Jayme H.
@Shannon..I did see some nice examples on Houzz..just searched
"all rooms" and typed in horizontal stripes in search box...Maybe u will get a good idea for inspiration..I have done horizonal and vertical stripes in bedrooms... haven't tried them in other rooms, but am liking some of the pics I have been seeing.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 2:20PM
Shannon Pavey
Well, my husband just gave his input and he's not liking the stripes. I'll have to find another way to add some personality to this room. Maybe the new paint color will do the trick. :)
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 2:27PM
Jayme H.
Do u like area rugs? Are u changing out any of your tables You could bring out the blue in your pic..use it in accessories such as rug/throws, drapery etc.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 2:38PM
Shannon Pavey
I like area rugs on hardwood or tile floors, not so much on carpet. We're eventually replacing our floors and will definitely add an area rug then. I'm putting up new drapery in the nook area which is also open to the family room. I've picked out faux silk drapes from Target (which are awesome!) in a beautiful blue color. We already have them in another room in the house. I've also considered Hunter Douglas woven wood shades. I think the main issue with this room is that it needs color. I'd like to get a new accent chair in the corner of the room. We've had the leather one for awhile... wouldn't mind changing it. Cost Plus has a really fun peacock blue chair with nailheads. I'm waiting to see if it goes on sale. :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 3:13PM
Jayme H.
Peacock would be the ticket!! Would really brighten it up!! Show results please!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:21PM
Lisa Carlisle
How about a large mirror hung horizontally to open the space and add life. Then stage the furniture.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:33PM
Shannon Pavey
I had the two mirrors in the hallway above the sectional for a long time and moved them when I bought the artwork. The height of the artwork fit the space better. Although, a larger mirror would work too....
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:48PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I like them but I'd fade them out towards the end-Ombre stripes....
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:50PM
Help with curtains for vaulted ceiling
I am looking to find an economical way of hanging drapes...
rswd2012
What can I do with cabinets in a kitchen with vaulted ceilings?
I have been looking and looking for pictures of kitchens...
mike1996
Barrel Vaulted Ceiling
Hi all, I need some suggestions on how to treat a...
olldcan
Drapery advice needed for my vaulted ceiling and windows
New home, and we just painted and re-hung the curtain...
sourpower13
Help me find decor for fireplace with vaulted ceiling please?
We have vaulted ceilings, the fireplace stands 5'8"....
bplais
Replacing hinges
I am replacing all the old gold hinges and door handles...
feldhahn
looking for tall industrial cabinet to hide a small tv...
love the restoration hardware industrial tv stands...
nhoechst
Main Living Room
Hello, All, I'm still tweaking this room. It's my main...
leestep
Please help me with my small family room!
Hello! My fiancé and I moved into our first home last...
mrs_elle
stuck in the bedroom
I am really stuck on how to proceed in my bedroom....
jmawnc