Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adri1214

New inexpensive idea to make new exterior look great

Adrianna Berlingerio
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
This is a 2.5 story house. All the homes on this side of the street look almost identical. the interior is classic and gorgeous....but not the outside. I'd like to be the first on the street to make my exterior POP! I'd like to incorporate stone and siding and would love to have two porticos built over my doors but permit time and expense of architect may hinder this component. Unfortunately my roof shingles are not old, but they are a dark brick color and would not match any siding color I'd like. I'd also like to incorporate the stone or brick into new stoops and small retaining wall with 2 - 4 ft colums at the front of the garden.
Also, My house is very cold. I had replacement windows installed 20 years ago.. I'd love the bronze trimmed windows but i believe they cost more. I'd like to change the front slider window to 2 dbl casement and 1 stationary pane. Should I keep the 2nd floor identical to the first.
I have seen homes that have stone built up to the bottom of the front window and that looks nice. I could use the same stone for my stoops and retaining wall.
I'm really at a loss. I am also a chicken for fear that a contractor will be deceitful and really mess with us. my hubby doesn't have the vision I have in terms of aesthetics. I like to be different than others and would like my house to have some pizzazz for a change. Will probably stay in this house for 7-10 more years. The A/C unit is coming out...getting split units to be placed on the side of the house. My house has about 40 windows.It's a very loooong house.
Budget: $25,000

Comments (52)

• Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you to you both. My location is a NY metro area. Might you know if bronze colored window trim is much higher than the standard white ones?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    libradesigneye caught me out, I did not notice the window count in your post. With 40 windows, an average of $300 each for the bronze Integrity from Marvin....material cost at $12K. Just a guess as window size is a major factor. That leaves $13K of your original budget to re-work the exterior. Maybe not enough to do the the total makeover you envision. I think starting with the windows is the first thing. Getting a quote from a window retailer is a start. Most builder's supplies here in CA carry a couple of types of windows. Look for a local place that carries the Integrity line and a lesser vinyl line. The vinyl will, most likely be white, not the bronze you like. Some are available in a sandy taupe...needs investigation on your end. Have the window salesman measure every window. You don't want that initial responsibility. You will need to verify every dimension before ordering...it's their way. Once you have the quote for the two window styles, you can shop the list a bit...see if you get a better price from another retailer. Figure on 10% more when you hire a contractor and have them purchase...but you want the the material and workmanship warranty. One year is generally the warranty period.

With those numbers in hand...you can make decisions on the rest of the exterior. Is there enough left in the kitty to move forward with the facelift of the house? Depends on your choices. I would still recommend drawings of the outside of the house with specifics as to what goes where. Plans give you a visual communication tool.
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    One idea: the large windows have such a "closed" look... remove the screens from the windows on front of house.........on inside have plantation shutters added...will give you a completely different look from outside.............still giving privacy....good luck...love your garden
  • qam999
    11 years ago
    Are you sure that replacing the windows will make your house warmer? Are they leaking? Windows replaced 20 years ago should not need replacing IMO. If the only problem is window aesthetics, their appearance can be enhanced by the addition of external trim which you can then paint in a contrasting color. I'd look at really inventorying the problem areas. Do you have adequate insulation?
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ Ironwood.....is there software I can use that I can do that myself or does someone here on houzz do that? I am a beginner here. Thanks.
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ brody: not sure i understand the concept.
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ brody again.....I am going with the advice of hubby. If he says that the windows are drafty, which they are, then what else can I do instead of replacing them. One thing i forgot to mention is my house is also cold because there is original cement stucco with aluminum siding over it. So insulation is a problem. When siding is replaced, only the aluminum siding is coming down, the stucoo stays up.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Adrianna, great about the stucco under aluminum! Halfway to my idea of a lower level of stucco and an upper level of shingles! Design software is a steep learning curve, a draftsman can pop the elevations out in a few hours...maybe $300? It will take you weeks of tutorials and effort produce your own, in part because you are not already a building person, so double steep learning curve. Google Sketchup has a free version available for download. It took me 6 weeks of intensive study to become mildly proficient....not expert.

Regarding insulation...when the siding comes off, insulation can be sprayed into the wall cavities of the house and the holes required to do that patched and painted over. Assuming you have no sidewall insulation and your wiring is NOT knob and tube (look this up!). Attic blanket insulation will be a relatively inexpensive energy saver as well. About $1500 - $2500 (depending on how thick and how many sq. ft.) if you have someone do it for you. DIY? A third of the cost.

I hope this helps, I'll continue to monitor for questions. If you follow me, I'll see posts more easily.
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    But the stucco is so cooollldddd ! Remember we are not remooving the stucco from underneath the alum siding so insulation can't be sprayed in. We are quoting 1" thick foam with the siding not the standard 3/4". I truly love the composite stone perhaps up to the bottom of the lower windows and the first return. The flat roof above the front door makes me cringe !
    There is so muchncharacter inside these homes but what was this builder thinking for the outside?
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also when budget permits we'd like to redo the stoops and small retaining walls for landscaping and add 2 small 4' columns at the front of the garden using the same stone as accented on the house
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I like Ironwoods ideas.
  • Susan H
    11 years ago
    I think Ironwood is saying small holes can be drilled into the stucco to allow for the insulation to be sprayed in. They would then be repaired and painted over.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Adrianna...of course the stucco is cold. It's outside. But the transfer of cold to inside has nothing to do with the stucco and everything to do with insulation. A 1" thermal break on the outside of the stucco will provide about an R-5. A spray insulation in your stud bays will give you an R-15... Three times the insulating value. If you combine the two you will have a superior insulated sidewall. And no money left for siding. The other thing to remember is that heat rises, so the attic blanket is MUCH more effective in keeping heat inside. I just added R-30 to my attic and dropped the heat bill by 1/3rd. I'm attempting to work with you on budget. Covering the existing stucco is an expense that you can avoid. Insulation is a no-brainer, pays for itself in less than a year in your climate. Stone is expensive and you need windows....trade-offs are going to be necessary. You decide. Your house, your money.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    11 years ago
    The most important thing to do is to find a reputable contractor, some states require licenses and certification, some do not. Make sure to contact references and do a background check and check with the better business bureau. I am attaching images your home (I played with) to give you some ideas.... The first is stone facing the second stucco with stone accent, it is very important that you have your contractor add insulation, either in the exterior walls or behind the new exterior wall finish. Adding stone, wood or stucco provide insulation by itself.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    The house looks fine in the photos, I agree with changing the exterior color.
  • Suzan Elichaa
    11 years ago
    You said the house is cold but the windows were replaced. If they are double pane replacement is almost always a bad ROI. Cold windows usually mean the installer shoved fiberglass in the gaps instead of sealing properly with foam. This allows cold air into the wall where it filters in around the casing. A energy auditor with an inferred camera can confirm this or you can just take off a set of interior moldings and replace the fiberglass with a LOW expanding foam. You may need to touch up the paint. If you don't believe me fix one window before you spend a fortune to replace all
    If you decide you do need to replace, a bronze widow would be beautiful but expensive. For standard windows use a triple glaze for warmth and quietness. Forget the US manufactures the stuff from Europe and some from Canada cost the same and are of higher quality and more energy efficient. Our local supplier, Maine green building supply, carries a couple of great lines and the can deliver anywhere
    I also highly recommend double or triple pleat cellular shades. Close them at night and your home will be much warmer.
    Solarize inflector shades block as much light as a screen. Their proprietary material reflects the heat back to where it is coming from. In the winter it sends it back into the room. In summer you literally reverse them and it keeps the heat out of your house They really do work and don't block your view like a closed cellular shade
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    These windows you see here are prob 22 yrs old. I am not familiar with solarize inflector shades. It's a great idea to try one window and put the foam in there but by the time I can get my husband to do this it will be a ny summer and I'd never be able to determine if it was effective Great advice though Wish I could have the confidence and know how to do it myself.
  • zennifer
    11 years ago
    I'll second attic insulation being super important; we had a little brick cottage with NO insulation on the walls (just two layers if brick). Original windows and storms. A GIANT MOUNTAIN of blown in attic insulation; the inspector said he'd never seen so much.

Our heating bills were tiny; much smaller than our newer house with newer windows, wall insulation, but much less attic insulation. We'll be adding more soon. :)
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ stamps........ totally cool. I Was thinking more along the lines of a horizontal stone facia right up against the lower window and shake on the front with a contrasts at the gable. I wanted the stones to match the stoops we'd like to replace as well as small retaining wall There are so ,any ideas I see here on this site but how can I attach them and fwd to you to play with the images? I very much appreciate u doing this !!
  • Lizabeth
    11 years ago
    Adrianna,

Since you are NY State you might be able to get a free energy assessment done. Here is the link http://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Residential/Programs/Existing-Home-Renovations/How-the-Process-Works/Comprehensive-Home-Energy-Assessment.aspx

Typically they will send someone with an infrared camera to find the cold/hot spots leaking energy and help you develop a plan of action. Worth a try.

I agree that your windows may not have been installed correctly and that could be the source of drafts. Adding low expansion spary foam can correct the problem.

Good luck.
  • PRO
    Denny Shuty
    11 years ago
    In damp, cold weather climates there can be issues with stucco, so investigate very thoroughly on that. It appears that the top of your foundation is only 6" above the finished grade, so if snow piles up against your house the moisture can wick in. With that said, your lot appears to be flat, so what are you needing to retain with a retaining wall?
    Faux stone along just the bottom of such a tall, flat-faced house will look contrived. I think your style of house looks best with siding. But you could do a really rich color and nice trim. White trim on the windows is totally appropriate to your house, the dark window frames that are popular now are not going to change the look of you house enough to justify the extra cost. Put your money into having the roof line over the door redesigned. That will give you great curb appeal.
  • jingstad
    11 years ago
    I would build a wrap-around porch on the front of the house...You could use the stone as the base for the pillars supporting the roof. Adding bright color to the front doors and shutters to the sides of the windows would drastically change the appearance of your house. You could still use the idea of the siding on the lower half and shingles above the porch.
  • zennifer
    11 years ago
    A wrap around porch would look FANTASTIC!!
  • Victoria Pierce
    11 years ago
    Perfect a porch!! Best idea yet..
  • PRO
    Denny Shuty
    11 years ago
    I'm just noticing in the photos that there are 2 front doors, one on each side. Is this a duplex where one of you is the lower and the other is the upper?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Right. A porch. Guys! The post is about updating the exterior and windows on a $25K budget in the NY area. How is the porch idea helping with this endeavor! I get it as a dream for the future...but let's focus here!
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    11 years ago
    Adrianna you can email me at special032@hotmail.com if you want to send me links or pictures
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ Lizabeth...thank you for the link. I've just contacted 2 for a free estimate. This way there is no mistaking and disputes with the hubby. Thank you.
  • joelcoqui
    11 years ago
    @stamp design. love the gray one, Can I see it in a taupey beige with white window?
  • PRO
    DB Klain Construction, LLC
    11 years ago
    With a tight budget, you would want to consider a new exterior paint color and two tone the trim and the siding from each other like it currently is, but with some earth tone colors. I would also suggest adding shutters to the front windows. As for the front door, I would build a roof over the entry and use a partial height stone column with a wood support going the rest of the way up to hold up the covered front porch. You can use then same stone as a retaining wall around the garden to create a courtyard feel.
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ DB Klain. I had the roof over the door idea as well as a small stone column to support a "pillar"....need a permit and archigect....hence more expenses.--but cosidering it. We are aon the same page for sure. Thank you.
  • zennifer
    11 years ago
    Sorry...I'm a salvaging DIYer, so I often forget the true costs of things. ((Blush)).
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    11 years ago
    Here are a couple more images for you to look at :-) They are not 100% the same as what you described, but they should provide others with a visual as to what you want.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    zennifer, no worries! We all have different backgrounds and experiences... The posts here on Houzz can get very distracting and dreaming for others is almost as much fun as dreaming for ourselves! I sometimes feel pretty bad when I have to shine the cold, harsh light of reality here....I like to dream big too!
  • Lizabeth
    11 years ago
    Adrianna, glad to hear you have someone coming out to take a look see. Hey, let us know what they find out. Yes it should help with making a decision on where to spend the money.
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes it's a two family - tenants on 2nd floor and a huge standup attic
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ stamps. Yes the second photo has the horizontal line of stone. Baby what a house. I can only dream on
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    Adrianna, would it be possible to choose the windows you like and then start by just doing the picture windows in the front of the house first? I know that doing them all at once is cost prohibitive if youwant to change the rest of the exterior. I think you could put a bow window downstairs for some charm and use flat windows upstairs. I like the stone idea down the road below the front window too.
    Maybe you could change the look of the house by building a covered entry for the door. I think that one bush out fron in the right of the photo is too large and is blocking the house.
  • Lizabeth
    11 years ago
    I agree with Handyman. If you could redo the front windows with better trim and better scale/size. They look like sliders but I am not sure. You could do a fixed center and two single hungs on the side, a very Chicago window style or go for three equal single hungs perhaps with a vertical mullion in the center. There are so many ways to improve your front elevation by replacing those big windows with well designed ones. also topping those windows with a small shed 18 to 24 inch roof over them would add tremendously to your look. going to try and add some photos to explain.

First photos is three single hung windows mulled together with a divider in the top pane. That happens to be a look that I like and is not too spendy/

I can't link the photos I want but if you go to my profile and look at my ideabook Lizziec ideas and look at the the very last three photos you will see what I think would work on your house. A small amount of exterior trim added to the top of your living room window would improve the looks of your home so very much.
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes I see, that house is more narrow but I see. Funny, that is sort of what was there when I moved into to it over 20 yrs ago. I would look real nice with some mantel and trim and i'd save alot instead of getting casements. Thanks for your time.
  • PRO
    The Color People
    11 years ago
    A perfect example of applied vinyl siding stealing all the character from a home by covering all its sections. I'm not normally a fan of these expensive addition ideas so often propounded but in this case it is going to take some serious work and cost quite a bunch to really make this house be handsome- you can do it though, don't lose heart!
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'll be posting some more ideas for windows questions....feel free to pitch in all. Thanks...what a wonderful site.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    11 years ago
    Big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and think that the makeover below could work for you. Instead of replacing the windows which are only 20 years old ( my original century old windows were fitted with storms ) I would have custom made exterior storms . My 3 story house had no insulation whatsoever and it was beyond cold. We had it blown in and it worked well. I would keep the current siding and have it painted and trim added if you like the photo below .
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    11 years ago
    P.S. : Improving your current landscaping would also be a great start.
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ sweet Caroline. The garden is a bit overgrown but I wouldn't dare redo it until workers are done trampling all over it. Thanks for all the advice but I need a new facelift
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    Adrianna - new windows and new shingle profile siding in a beautiful color will help you get a super look right away. Go for the white vinyl as best bang for buck in your twin house and maybe a shore inspired aqua shingle siding plus insulation in the attic ceiling.

I really like the single/double hung windows in a gang of three for your larger front windows - you can ask for cottage grilles (officially muntins / known as grids) only on the top pane and then get the grilles on the smaller windows on the side of the house. They are standard grids so they have them easy but by placing them only on the top pane of your single hung windows you will get a custom look.
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We had double hung windows with the grilles when we moved in, but i guess because it was so old, we changed it. everyone on our side of the bklock who have changed their windows have done the same and added casement or sliders. Thanks for you advice.
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So here is my home
    The "after"
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    Lovely new look! You might want to consider adding a railing around the roof, that would camouflage the unit without impeding the airflow and its function?You could probably trim the bushes back in your front, (some even severely) and see what you think you need before tearing it all out! :-)
  • S P
    10 years ago
    Looks really nice! Curious, did you stay within your original $25k budget?