Need help deciding backsplash ideas
yenhoang
March 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just replaced our countertops with new granite ( see pic on right) can't decide what style backsplash to get... Plus the 18 in space provided with electrical plugs to consider... Also thoughts on possibly painting our cabinets white.. Was told that its tough to achieve a professional look
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 6:19AM
PRO
Own a Green Home
Because light granite has so much going on (in terms of texture and movement), consider using the backsplash as a place to rest your eyes. Fire Clay tiles are natural materials that complement both contemporary and traditional kitchens (making it easy to change the feel of your kitchen with just a few accents later), and come in a wide variety of colors. Pick a neutral complimentary color from out of the granite, or grab one for a pop of color to highlight it.

Besides color, consider the shape and style of the tile - subway for a more classic look, or mosaic with accent tiles... and installation, all help set the mood of the kitchen.
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 6:31AM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
You have a lovely kitchen. A backsplash that would bounce the light would be preferable. There are so many options with glass today - squares, circles....etc. These would also add so visual interest. There is a lot of wood right now. Painting cabinets is tricky because unless you are a professional and use the right type of paint, they will look like a weekend DIY. I've had kitchen cabinets painted before - the doors were cleaned and spray painted by a professional. The remaining areas lightly sanded, cleaned and painted by a another professional.

Kalli
www.broadhousedesigninc.ca
broadhousedesigninc@yahoo.ca
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 6:33AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Not when you hire a professional painter. You have so many choices on materials for back splashes. Just find what you like.
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 6:34AM
PRO
Dwellings LLC
You have infinite possibilities for the back splash right now , I like a glass subway tile in a color to complement the granite. Have you installed under cabinet lighting ? That makes a difference in color selection; also I am a fan of Angled Power Strips to replace the outlets. They run under the cabinets and give a clean run to the back splash tile. Find a painter who can do a spray finish in their shop, you'll get the look you are seeking. Good Luck.
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 6:47AM
linlac
I have the same granite with the oak cabinets. The cabinets were just put in by previous owner and matched the floors so I didn't want to throw away. I did the backsplash in a taupe tumbled marble (one of the tones in the granite) and added a cream island and stove hood with the oak accents. Let me know what you think of this.
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 9:23AM
yenhoang
@Brit: thank you for sharing your kitchen ideas! Finally a photo with same cabinet design and color! Your kitchen is beautiful!! Love your choice of hardware! It definitely gives me a vision with your neutral tone backsplash!
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 9:36AM
linlac
Thanks. One other suggestion, if you do the neutral backsplash add a line or small row across with glass or metal tile strips. I regret not adding the oil rubbed bronze accent in the tiles. The picture I sent does not give a good view of the tiles. They are rustic (lots of holes).
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 10:03AM