Living Room colors & Fireplace ideas

caitiekayMarch 22, 2013
Hi,
Ignore the furniture. Photos are from when the house was on the market.
I'm looking for fresh, light and transitional style furnishing suggestions and color combinations for this living room. This room gets a lot of morning light, but not direct sun as there is a large porch overhang. The outside porch is brick and red tile, so a lot of the reflected light is red to pinkish. The ceiling is already red toned along with the floor.
Thinking it would be a shame to paint the ceiling. It's a Doug Fir ceiling with a rather dark somewhat shiny finish. Not in love with the finish, but I think it's a really nice ceiling and I don't think it should be painted.
There are nice views out the large east-south window across from the fireplace. I'm thinking a single chaise lounge behind a sectional couch so you can look out the window while reading.
This house will likely be used as part-time vacation home and rented out to short-term visitors. The furniture should be comfortable and simple, and not overstuffed or finicky.

The floor is a pegged-look oak that's in pretty good shape, so not doing anything with that except looking for rug ideas.

The fireplace stone is not that attractive and is only a thick veneer. The grout is in bad shape and some stones are cracked. I can clean it and regrout which will freshen it up. But thinking about removing the stone and replacing it with something else. Ideas? The canopy is copper that is dinged up.
What bothers me about this fireplace is it seems so out of portion. It's big and wide, the stones are large, but it doesn't go far enough up the wall, the mantel seems kind of wimpy and the trim is out of keeping with the style. Thinking of a wood slab mantle, possibly free-edge piece.

The bay window at the end needs to be replaced due to water damage and I'm thinking of a doug fir interior trim and ceiling boards to match the LR ceiling with the new window system. Would this be too dark? Nice views from the bay window as well.

Thinking of possibly removing the trim on the other windows and use doug fir or paint the sashes and trim dark to coordinate with the ceiling.

Recessed wall wash lights in the ceiling (it's false, so easily added).
Should I replace the sconces? They don't seem to fit stylistically. They are the only lights right now. Will likely add one or two floor outlets.

Thinking of removing the shelves on either side of the doorway - and possibly removing the arch and putting in false post & beam at the door opening. Right now the opening doesn't line up with the opening to the dining room and this feels awkward.

Would love to hear everyone's ideas and suggestions.
caitiekay
More Photos for above post
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:29PM
Ironwood Builders
Jeez-o-pete, what gorgeous room! I'm no help with furniture, but had to give you that feedback!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:33PM
caitiekay
I agree. I do think this room could really shine with the right furnishings and details. It is truly a great space with views through big windows.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:38PM
Barnhart Gallery
Aww, wish I wasn't about to log off -- this one has so much going for it. I bet you'll get a ton of great advice before I get a chance to chime in, so, agreeing with most in advance, how's that?
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:43PM
Keep the fireplace, keep the shelves, and use them differently, accent paint the back. Both are classic and can't be replaced today. Will be back with color suggestions and I'm with all of the above - WOWSA! what a gem!
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:10PM
caitiekay
Furniture layout something like this. TV will face the center of the room so during the day you can see out the large window while watching TV. Bay window for reading etc.
Is this too crowded. These aren't exact sizes, just standard symbols.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:11PM
Here is my color and furnishings advice. The detail on your ceiling and the stone fireplace telegraph that this home is an heirloom. So there is a little museum action in this plan. Stay with me -

We want to keep the walls "envelope" really spare and clean because on vacation at this kind of location, it produces peace. Original whites would have a bit more color than you have on the wall, so I'm going to suggest something you may think is crazy - change the color but use whites that are gorgeous in themselves / closer to the real thing / tones in the stones. Walls should only take one coat this way!
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7637-oyster-white/ for walls
Trim in http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7008-alabaster/ (Do around windows, baseboards, bookcase shelves and trim face, mantel but not the top trim before the wood ceiling)
These are more original whites, before titanium white and when you put them over the walls you have now, it will seem funny, like they are darker, almost taupe. But, they are whites that will be right at home on these walls. They won't go red in the light. The entire room will feel like a church when they are finished (but it won't look like it when we are done with furnishings). Well worth the trouble.

Were I furnishing a place for this purpose, I would turn to IKEA slipcover furniture. Looks good, can wash up well / covers replaced, nothing so precious I'd fret. Let's build an upholstery palette of neutrals to start.

Two sofas to look across at each other - at fire or at view. Set them centered in front of the arch so you can walk on either side. Comfy style is http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19875765/#/S59902757 in risane beige for guests, vellinge beige for you guys (dry clean vellinge, machine wash cover for guests - or could be winter / summer, you decide) Sofa table behind the first sofa with lamp at fireplace end.

Your chaise lounge - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99908535/ for before the window

Put a wood bench / stool next to the chaise head on the fireplace side and use a floor swing arm minimal metal reading lamp for each on the other side.

Here's your color- built off the copper, the stone, the ceiling.
At this sale price, buy two of these for this room - one goes between the pair of couches between fireplace and one goes up to the front window http://www.potterybarn.com/products/kalista-kilim-rug/
These could be layered over sisal or jute, but two ought to be perfect in the larger size. run the first between the fireplace and front window and the second perpendicular into the bay

On that rug, running lengthwise into the bay, tuck back two ektorp chairs and an ottoman in the bay window, but splurge for the aftermarket BEMZ cover in cinnabar red belgian linen to add warmth and cozyness http://www.bemz.com/en-us/product-page/product/armchair-covers/id/ekt4/ektorp/

Look for craigslist chests that are unique but about the same size for each side of the wall under the shelves - keep one of them wood, paint one of them dark mustard gold - like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW0012-empire-gold/ to echo the warm tones - the eyebrow arch is original and perfect for this room - keep its charm but set these off. Use the chests for board games. Stack gusseted floor pillows in forest greens on the right side of the fireplace, and find a great wood coffee table people can gather around on pillows to play, or put their feet up on. Wood to approximate depth of color on ceiling. Add a kilim upholstered bench on the front side of the fireplace under the window http://www.overstock.com/Worldstock-Fair-Trade/Handmade-Kilim-Upholstered-Bench-India/6805529/product.html

I would put a flat television where they had china cabinet, on a swing arm so it could pull out on an angle across the corner, and put the components in and on the chest under the shelves on that side. Use a remote repeater and cover the cords with a cord cover (gray plastic from ikea dry painted with wall paint) For a big game or viewing party, you can slide the first couch back or swing its end over in front of the window opposite.

Behind the other couch, in front of the window where they show the television, find a pedestal table up to 42" and put 3-4 straight chairs (don't have to match, but ok) you already have with it. Paint them all a terra cotta rusty shade different than the chairs but from the rug. Something like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW2803-rookwood-terra-cotta/ The corners as the walls turn to become a bay both need torchieres with three way bulbs here.

I would keep up the simple shade idea, though I might go for relaxed romans in a natural canvas duck, so it feels a little more cozy at night. I suggest duck because it is in the same color tone family as the wall shades above.

Add pillows in red, orange, graphic with white and beige for summer, paisleys for fall, throws in knotty cinnabar reds. Put a classic piece of art above the kilim bench as you come in, (check out art.com and painter http://www.art.com/products/p12266389-sa-i1638651/joaquin-sorolla-y-bast-self-portrait-in-profile.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=5004429&ui=9b4f4f096ea14a12819a52396d1ef932 ) and play with change on the mantel. Decorate for christmas with real boughs and christmas pillows.

See how with a change of rugs and pillows and a few slipcovers you can go in a new direction easily.

Buy just a sample pot of one more color for the back of the shelves. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7042-shoji-white/ just one tonal difference deeper than the walls, two past the trim on the shelves and face trim.

Start collecting nature postcards by buying a few locally and from the national parks in your state. Put the postcards up here in rows with a note on the back with a date about what you did that day on holiday. For your guests, start a guest book on that other mustard chest that invites them to send or leave their own nature postcard with a description of an outing or a nature poem. They can be from nearby or from somewhere beautiful near where they are from. Fill the shelves with these records of beauty and experiences. You will form memories that your family gets to reexperience every time they arrive and read.

K - the stone fireplace is perfectly to scale for the wall as a coastal cottage fireplace. The stone is real and a gorgeous tone. The mantel is what they did then. The fire was the thing, not what you put on top to decorate with. I do love the idea of a free edge timber mantel, but it isn't really authentic and staining it to work with the other wood tones could be tough - aim for the ceiling tone if you go there - this mantel is better than you think, just an original cottage scale that is off to our modern oversized euro mantel trained eyes. The copper should remain the star as is. You will only lose charm to change,IMHO. Repaint and I think it will begin to grow on you a lot.

Thank you for allowing us to vicariously experience this beautiful room. I hope some of these ideas inspire your final look.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 1:11AM
ps was working through ideas when you posted your floor plan idea -
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 1:14AM
Barnhart Gallery
Libra design -- Yes, yes, yes; a standing ovation! I followed every nuance of your design with awe and agreement.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:17AM
caitiekay
Hi Libradesigneye,
Love your color suggestions. I thought of greys because white is so stark against the ceiling, but I have been worried about the grey making things dark. I have other photos though that show these combos and do really like the feel.
Brooktree / Los Angeles Mid-Century Modern · More Info
]
Don't care for the furniture in this next photo, but the colors are along the same vein. It's a little too neutral. I like your addition of mustard and cinnabar. Red and yellow accents, but not vibrant reds & yellows.
Talon's Crest · More Info
]

This 1949 ranch house was purchased from the family of the original builder and local dairy rancher, and multiple generations lived in it at various times; so we were able to get some history. It was remodeled in the 1980's. Windows and trim replaced, engineered floor added, Kitchen and bath remodeled and the dining room - living room pathway and entryways were changed; it looks like the mantel was matched to the window trim at that time. The stone appears to be original, but we heard the fireplace has changed with an insert at one point, then removed.
This is when the arches and shelves were added. My better half likes them; so we may end up keeping them. What bothers me is that the square shelf heads don't align with the arched doorway. They are just enough out of alignment - but not enough - that they catch my eye and I want to fix them. I could do something with the trim - enlarge it and combine perhaps to make them feel like they belong together.
Really like your idea of mementos. We stayed in a local vacation rental that had something similar with glass doors over the shelves. People had placed shells, mementos, photos etc on the shelves of the local national seashore. So this is very much in keeping with your suggestion and the vacation rental usage.

What do you think about "wrapping' the bay window trim and ceiling in a doug fir to match the ceiling. Also thinking of painting the sashes and replacing other window trim with doug fir to match. I know I won't match exactly, so either try to get close enough or just paint dark trim. A couple of the attached photos have dark trim and it feels like they pull the walls/ceiling/room together.

See photos of the kitchen-dining which shows the sames shelves in the dining. You can see how these don't seem to belong together. Also attached photos from Houzz that I like.

The stone on the fireplace is not in good shape. You can't really see much in the photos, but someone "regrouted" with concrete at some point and it's quite messy on the hearth; doesn't match the grout and was poorly done.

Ikea with slipcovers was in my mind for couches. I really like the chaise you posted. Thinking closer to this kind of couch (loft photo) [houzz=
Ed Roth Williamsburg · More Info
]
Wondering about the Ikea Karlstad sectional http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79840631/#/S79850502.

Thanks for your input.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 8:31AM
caitiekay
Thinking this is a better floor plan.
Using a couch with a lounge section instead of a separate chaise, just to simplify and open up the furniture. Added a game table in the corner.
Put a DF mantle on fireplace. Used the SW color Libbydesigneye suggested; walls and trim.
I also put a DF texture on the bay. Colors aren't exact, but concept is close.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:55AM
Love the new layout concept. Home Decorators is showing a wood and metal industrial table that you can crank from 30" high to 42" high that would be great in this space - a 36" round that is really good looking. Very flexible - tall chairs at your location would allow those folks to see tv too.

IKEA has some new sofa profiles that may be perfect style wise, but the $ tag goes higher so I started at the lower price point. I like the more modern profiles better too -

I first pulled the Kivik chaise with the taupe-gray cover, which seems to me to be the perfect color for where you are headed - (more taupe than the sandy beige ektorp covers) I saw that all the rest of kivik was modular and worried that the armless elements would get shoved around and get disconnected. I bet I'm wrong - IKEA usually has that down. Here's their new product http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99875139/#/S79886935

They also show Harnosand profiles, less flexible / not comfy arms but good looking chairs and a sand upholstery option. I didn't see a good chair option with kivik but you can buy Ballard armchairs for added style here - my pick for style points http://www.ballarddesigns.com/manchester-chair/chairs/upholstered-chairs/174670?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=4 look at the twill crimson for instance.

With IKEA, it is all about the cover fabrics, and you should go and shop them every year so when they produce a great one, you snap it up (or a pair). I have summer covers and winter covers now.

Karlstad is great but none of the IKEA fabric covers work for your room. It sits off the ground and has a different center of gravity. They leave the legs unfinished, so you can follow Sherri Petersik's YHL approach and take orb spray paint to them or gel stain them exactly like the ceiling. There are lots of different combo options with that so you can change things up but they connect together underneath. That is likely to the same for the new Kivik. One thing to consider is that Bemz does some options of Karlstaad covers since it has been around a while. I didn't dig into find out if there is a bemz cover for the modular options since I didn't see them quickly. Karlstaad does have some good looking armchairs that bemz covers, so that is a way to go with the kivik sofas and chaise is to use Karlstaad chairs with Bemz covers - bemz makes some that go to the floor.

I think that you will want to wait on window trim until you are ready to replace windows and then do a good job of putting quality windows into this well built place - start pricing now to budget ahead for aluminum clad wood. You can stain it then to match ceiling and select a standard red color outside that adds charm there too.

Stone is light enough that I think the white mantel does more for you, but beefing it up may be a good choice. Love the idea of adding trim cornices to top of shelves to solve the upper elevation. I'd line that up with the low ends of the arch instead of the middle.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 2:26PM
ps do not change the sconces - at least don't consider it until you determine their age - could be patina 'd copper. This room deserves fixtures from Hubbardton Forge if you are going to switch.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 2:30PM
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with you on the ceiling. It would be a shame to paint that wood.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 2:31PM
Ironwood Builders
Catiekay, finally something I can help with! The mortar on the fireplace can be cleaned up and re-pointed. Labor intensive but a lot less expensive than rebuilding the entire fire box. Since you are in CA...doesn't matter north or south, you need to know that anything beyond tuck pointing will trigger the demolition of that wood burner....if you get permits for any work on the house. CalEPA rules are pretty stringent and enforced by the regional air quality control boards, the building departments, the fire departments...and the police. Converting to a gas log will get you in the clear....but then, never another wood fire.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 4:06PM
caitiekay
Ironwood, the stones are strictly a thick veneer and don't wrap into the firebox. The actual fireplace is brick. I was thinking of changing the stone to a different stone. Do you think this would trigger a need for a permit? It's like changing the tile on a counter top.

Libra, I like that couch better and I like the table at Home Decorators. I may not replace the sconces. When I looked at them quickly they didn't look particularly good quality. Likely a 1980's add. But I may not change them if budget is being used up elsewhere. The kitchen/dining need new surfaces as well as the master bath and converting another room to 2nd bath. So new sconces will probably be down on the list.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 8:51PM
blakeahart
I really like the room! The ceiling is GREAT. You're lucky if you can find a house with a ceiling like that... At least I think so. But, one suggestion I would make about the ceiling would be to remove the beams that run horizontally. They block you're view of the ceiling and make it feel lower. If that is not possible, they really are fine as they are. Painting the walls light taupe will make the space feel more finished, along with crisp white trim on the windows. Adding light fixtures and light furnishings will brighten the room and make it feel livable! And... Pops of color can never hurt! I hope the pictures I add help. Good luck!
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 9:58PM
blakeahart
More pictures..
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 9:59PM
blakeahart
Here's even more!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:00PM
delenaruehl
I do see the need for wall color in the room. The white just screams out. I would go with a nice warm brown color on the walls, maybe staining the window's to match the ceilings, add deep dark woods, perhaps even Danish style tables, staying away from Black. All of the whites, grays and pop's of color can come into play after the walls, and may I suggest deep rich burgundy Leather with studs. Manly but Rich. Then throw Blue at it..and don't forget the wood pile! Beautiful room. So much potential. Oh yeah, some build in bookcases to match the colors of the ceiling. Keeping it darker...LUV it
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:10PM
Ironwood Builders
caitiekay, Ouch..now we're down to individual inspectors interpretations of the code. Grey area big time. I had an inspector call me out on a fireplace that we hadn't touched (and weren't planning to)...but had been by a previous owner. He was going to make me yank the entire fireplace. I convinced him that the remodel had to be "grandfathered" in, that it was done before the code change. It may work again, may not. Other inspectors have allowed rework to existing chimneys as "repair" in the course of construction. We damaged the chimney (not really) and were therefore allowed to repair the "damage" we caused. I guess you just have to go for it and see what happens. What county are you in?
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:15PM
Ironwood Builders
I noticed on a previous post the idea to remove the horizontal beams...I really believe you know you cannot do that...those are timber trusses and without their collar ties, the roof comes tumbiln' down.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:19PM
caitiekay
Ironwood, I'd rather not be subject to individual inspectors; that's just asking for trouble. There is no construction work going on near the chimney that would "damage" it.

I think I'll give it a good cleaning and and see if that makes a difference. Fixing the canopy and painting the backplate and andirons with high heat paint will help as well. Besides, I think just changing stone isn't going to solve the size of the fireplace.

I'm mulling over what to do with the mantle. It just seems too refined for such a hefty stone. The canopy, the mantle with trim... it all feels a little too quaint for the bigness of the fireplace. Also, what to do with the space above it? It's so narrow compared to the mass of the fireplace.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:38PM
Barnhart Gallery
Caitiekay, I think I've seen your adorable dog on houzz before:
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/367382/Help-with-my-fireplace-mantel--
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:43PM
caitiekay
Ironwood, I would never dream of removing the collar ties. To me they are part of the ceiling design, not getting in the way of seeing the ceiling. I like them.
This is actually a false ceiling; so the roof wouldn't tumble down, but I think they are still needed for the ceiling structure.
Saw this huge mound of insulation in the attic and thought someone had piled it up because they didn't want to haul it out, but it turned out the be the ceiling framing covered in insulation. Actually kind of nice because it is now possible to add lighting, and the house has only baseboard heat and we will install a ducted system, so we can install it in the living room ceiling too.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:44PM
caitiekay
Funny Barnhart. That does look like him. My pooch likes to sit on the hearth to stay cool; he's a hot doggy with all that fur. Hasn't crawled into the firebox yet!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:46PM
Ironwood Builders
I think the mantle change out qualifies as trim...nothing to do with the fireplace proper. I read in your initial post about using a live edge slab as a mantle...I think it might be better to mimic the beams above....just my opinion. We did that on the job attached using timber frame joinery. See what you think.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:48PM
Ironwood Builders
good news on the false ceiling!
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:52PM
caitiekay
Ironwood, Yes I think you are right about mimicking the beams above. A nice slab of old growth redwood might look pretty good cut to the same thickness as the beams. Not sure about the chamfer though. Maybe some square headed bolts.
Doesn't have to be a slab; could just make a boxed mantle. No one is tall enough to see the top.
I like that fireplace; nice work.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:23PM
caitiekay
Hi bma1003, thank you for the suggestions. We really like the media credenza. Where did you find that?
Also like the tree print.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:25PM
New mantle in redwood to mimic beams . .. . .sweet.

Think the stone is beautiful, gold tones work well with redwood's glow. Cleaning will do a lot for the stones over the copper hood - betcha staining happened before copper was installed. They have much better cleaning options these days - I'd start with the simple green stone product for granite counters, but for the best result on the soot it is probably worth a pro with a poultice - something designed to draw it out of the stone pores. And then, be at peace with signs of use and age because it speaks to the history of the place.

Narrow proportion above is better than 2 story niche problems recently posted. The right piece of art - a panorama proportion, plus a few interesting things - terrific. Perhaps of interest - see http://www.art.com/products/p12913324-sa-i2047384/leonard-cusden-redcar-lner-1936-1937.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&ui=10C2E4950CFE4A63934CC0C170BBA8E3
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:39PM
caitiekay
I think a narrow panoramic piece of art is what will work there too.
These are the kind of images we like.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:59PM
Any ideas for this living room - colors, rug, etc.
We are reconstructing this house - now we are in a...
Halu.sk
Ideas for townhouse fireplace for living room with cathedral ceiling
I'm trying to decide what to do with the mantle / fireplace...
inspiredjeanne
Living room and fireplace ideas?
I would LOVE ideas for decorating our living room -...
Nat
Need Help: living room fireplace ideas, editing furnishings/decorating
I just had a design/installation come give me an estimate...
Bronwyn
Need Focal Point Ideas in Living Room--No Fireplace
I have a long living room (1960s Levitt home)...about...
cccllm
Blah living/dining room! Solutions?!
This dining room living combination needs a new look! The...
soosun2
Above entertainment centers
Need feedback on the decor (items) I have above these...
ypimentel
Ideas for prom dress?
I am 5'10 tall girl and i have a boyish figure with...
1.20 zoroaster
Why do people fear Epoxy?
There is a bad reputation about epoxy in the world...
Liquid Revolution Epoxy Coatings
Sponsored Products
Slither Dining Side Chair in Blue
$99.00 | LexMod
Wool Oeuf Lounge Chair in Blue
$899.99 | Dot & Bo
Darlee Series 60 Cast Aluminum 30 in. Round Counter Height Pub Patio Table
$384.99 | Hayneedle
Antique 3 Lights Dark Red Fabric Shade Brass Chandelier
ParrotUncle
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Floral Ivory Rug (5'3 x 8'3)
Overstock.com
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Bronze Outdoor Floor Lamp with
Home Depot
Kichler Kubica 36" x 48" Rectangular Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Tommy Bahama Ocean Club Multicoloreda Swivel Chair with Pillow, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE