Trying to tie in this section of backyard to rest any ideas?
marcolili1485March 22, 2013
Well I'm trying to do something here where the grass is but I can't really generate anything in my head. I have a lot of river rock and mulch is relatively easy to come by as well as tropical plants, which is what I've got going on I guess..slowly but surely. Any ideas how to tie in this piece to the rest of the yard? BTW that pile of round rocks in the existing yard is actually a bubbler style fountain..
marcolili1485
Here's another angle
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:59PM
Stamps Design Services
You are certainly off to a great start! I am posting some pictures, perhaps you will get some inspiration from them..... I know your spaces are smaller, but you could perhaps do a smaller sitting area or a smal shallow pond that your pets could also enjoy and a grouping of tropical trees with a few plants in different places.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:10PM
mishbooth
Beautiful space so far. You need height against the fence. Mimic what you have on the other side. It does not matter that you do not have the raised planters. I suggest a few more tropical plams, like the ones on the other side of your yard. In front of those, I would either keep the grass or mix low growing plants with the rocks and gravel that meander through the space. You could add some seating, with either a bench or 2 chairs and a side table. Maybe you could find a really big bolder to use as a seat or side table.
I would also put a row of tall plants in front of the shed to hide it. Or at least but a bushy tropical large plant in the corner (near the fence and the shed - by the blue boxes). This will draw your eye to the beautiful plant and not the shed.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:01PM
Robin W
Somewhere for the dogs to relieve themselves so they don't kill your gorgeous grass?
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:04PM
stimesfive
I agree with mishbooth. You need to plant out that fence and shed in an L shaped garden in a similar style to the other side. Or maybe try a vertical garden bed against the fence if you are feeling adventurous. I think you need to decide what you want to use this space for. You could nestle a covered daybed in this new corner and use it for quiet reading, which would suit the rest of your Bali style garden.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:44PM
Stamps Design Services
I meant to mention you will want to pressure wash and paint/stain the fence so it doesn't detract from all your hard work! Here is another image of a doggie area... You could put down a landscape barrier (to keep weeds away) and use rocks for their potty area, easy to pick up and hose down ;-)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 12:13AM
marcolili1485
Thanx for the advice everyone!! I guess my problem is that I don't know what plant is which and/or its growth limits..I made the same mistake on the back side of my house..the shorter ones ended up on the back instead of the mid section, but nevertheless I think it looks ok..my dogs are my biggest enemy..anyhow I'm thinking of clipping/pruning these and planting them over on that section maybe to cover the shed. The shed, btw, is only there temporarily cause that concrete pad was poured for a hot tub and gazebo soon to come. Thanx for the comments and keep them coming. Also in the mid section where there's grass and queen palms I have to take the retaining wall down because the giant birds are knocking it down slowly..anyone know how hard that is to do, then build a retaining wall on top of that? Thanx in advanced everybody!!
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:38AM
Backyard Ideas
Hi I recently pulled out bushes that our builder had...
muscularbryant
My backyard
I'd like to put a 26' x26' deck made from palettes...
Tammy
Driveway takes up all of my backyard
I have a fairly large and flat backyard, however my...
missmiffy
Need budget-friendly patio ideas for uneven backyard!
We have a small concrete square (3'x3') off our back...
jessweb20
Help help!!!! I have a backyard without any landscaping and am havin
I moved into a home with a totally natural yard a couple...
evestur
Need help on my tiles
So here's my dilemma . I'm not sure if I should keep...
bobpin18
Should I paint my oak cabinets?
My house is on the market, and potential buyers have...
jmurzinski
Breakfast nook. Yes or no?
What are your thoughts on the breakfast nook? Do you...
Jeannie Nguyen
How can we have a modern living room without a modern couch?
We were aiming for a grey and white colour scheme for...
sarinha3
design help please!
Hi I will be moving into a new SMALL place! Talk...
Sherri Webber