Has anyone ordered ceramic tile from an online retailer?
jfrazier
I found a tile I love from a high end local retailer. I found the same tile online at half the price but am concerned about the legitimacy of the retailer (cant find any reviews on them anywhere!) and whether the tile will arrive intact.

I have found only one company from which I can buy this particular tile online. I am weighing the potential hassle vs. paying full price at the retailer with fewer hassles.

Has anyone had experiences with buying ceramic tiles online?
JWinteriors
Remember, ceramic tile has the design only on the surface. If scratched, you will see the white of the ceramic. With porcelain tile, the color goes all the way through. Having said that, most things ordered on line can be cheaper than retail as you are not paying brick and mortar overhead.
March 23, 2013 at 5:23AM   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Is there a required minimum order? Can you order just 1? Trial run ;) Is it worth the shipping cost? Is the savings considerable enough, to throw the dice, and order a entire box? If it doesn't pan out, chalk it up to experience ;)
March 23, 2013 at 5:33AM   
michigammemom
Proceed cautiously and consider what kind of customer service you will receive from an online supplier in case of breakage.
March 23, 2013 at 6:12AM   
jfrazier
You all are the greatest! Thanks for much for the responses.

I think I will try one box to check them out.

I misspoke -- the tile I am considering is porcelain, not ceramic. I sort of use ceramic generically, but realize I need to stop doing that.

Thanks all!!
March 23, 2013 at 10:17AM   
noreaster88
In the midst of installing 600 sq ft of porcelain I bought online, so I feel qualified to comment for a change!

I found the perfect tile here on Houzz...and ended up buying it from TileTime.com after multiple emails with their customer service rep (a sweetheart) and getting two separate samples shipped. They were really fast to get back to me and both times the samples arrived the next day...impressive. And even with the hefty shipping (it was 2400 lbs of tile!) it was still fifty cents a square foot cheaper than my local supplier.

I would ask some questions and see how responsive your vendor is? First, ask if they will guarantee all the tile will come from the same dye lot (I got bitten on that one from a big box store...half the tiles gray, half of them BLACK...yikes!).

Second, ask them what their return policy is. Third, as the others suggested, order small quantities as a test run.

I couldn't be happier with how my online order turned out, but I was really nervous about it, just like you.

Good luck!
March 23, 2013 at 3:47PM     
Has anyone ordered cabinets through DesignerCabinetsOnline.com?
I have requested a quote from them on Kraftmaid cabinets....
Has anyone ordered this vanity or from this company?
I would like to know if anyone has ordered this vanity...
Has anyone ordered from modspaces.com?
I'm looking to get some modern furniture that I can...
has anyone ever ordered from Gallery lighting?
'Looking for a dining room chandelierI'm not crazy...
Choosing a carpet color
I have another post about complimentary fabrics to...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
DESIGN DILEMMA: Bathroom backsplash ideas?
When you are preparing to renovate or purchase a new...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Updating Entry Way
We moved into a furnished home and need help with updating...