Trash or Treasure
Margaret B
I found this buffet on Craig's list. I am sanding down the bad paint job today and plan on repainting. My husband cannot see the potential. Thinks it is a crime against humanity to paint furniture. I see the piece as a great tv console that will add character in our great room. Trash or treasure, what do you think?
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Treasure!!! If your kitchen had enough room for an island or your bath for a vanity - FUN! Send pix when you are finished, would love to see how you use it!
March 23, 2013 at 6:39am     
edesalvatore
Total treasure!!! Good find!
March 23, 2013 at 6:40am     
ginale
It has great potential! Post pics after you finish please.
March 23, 2013 at 6:41am     
Interiors International, Inc.
It really depends on the style in the rest of the house. In my home it would be trash. I have clients homes where it would work.
March 23, 2013 at 6:41am     
Interiores
Treasure! You could go so many ways with this piece! I would consider putting on some neat, new pulls. Restoration hardware has some great options. It all depends on the color/aesthetic you are going with! Great find!!
March 23, 2013 at 6:47am     
mkdesignstudio
treasure , change color depend where you want to see this piece and show pic after . good luck
March 23, 2013 at 6:48am     
S. Thomas Kutch
Sweeeet.............Treasure. Just because your husband is severely challenged when it comes to vision (not that that is a bad thing.....it's a quite common trait I hear in husbands and isn't a justifiable trade in defect), I say run with your vision...........post some finished pictures.
March 23, 2013 at 6:52am     
DIAspoton
it's a total score! what colors are you going with? anxious to see the detail highlighted and new hardware.

i'd love to se it painted white, distressed. highlight detail with a matte silver and just a touch of antique matte gold. then add a free form piece of antique mirror on top. ummm.....
March 23, 2013 at 6:57am     
3144123456
Definite treasure!! I love it! Are you painting it or refinishing it?
March 23, 2013 at 7:31am     
soberg
Treasure if you do a good job repainting it and it matches your style and needs. I'm assuming it's in good physical condition/repair.
March 23, 2013 at 7:43am     
Margaret B
Spent the day sanding and removing globs of paint. Former owner did not prime prior to painting so the paint was not adhered well. Have more to do, but should be able to prime tomorrow. I will post pictures when we complete. Thanks for the affirmation on my "treasure".
March 23, 2013 at 5:17pm     
Do you have photos of the room that you are planning to put this furniture in ?
March 23, 2013 at 6:17pm     
howie4fout
Treasure
March 23, 2013 at 6:22pm     
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
trash, I'll be by in the morning to haul it away.
March 23, 2013 at 6:23pm     
ali_young
I love it!! Very unique and classy!
March 23, 2013 at 6:26pm     
Margaret B
Dytecture I will take some pics in the morning. Be gentle, the room is a disaster and in need of help. A room of brown and beige on beige!
March 23, 2013 at 6:26pm   
latifeh
Of coarse treasure and your husband kind of right specially if you wanna painted in a color that is available in stain try to remove the paint and stain it with the color you want
March 23, 2013 at 6:26pm   
Margaret B
I have removed a majority of the paint and it is really not a piece that would look good stained. It has very little grain and the top and doors are joined pieces of wood. I think in this case it will look much better painted than stained.
March 23, 2013 at 6:38pm     
mommajoan
Treasure!!!!! I see 2 possibilities - either white/off white distressed or a bold, high gloss paint . Of course change the knobs/hardware. I would love to see a dark blue, aqua, green or even a yellow with a very high shine/gloss. Good luck and post pictures!!
March 23, 2013 at 6:39pm     
Lkristine
Absolutely treasure no matter personal taste!!!!!!
March 23, 2013 at 6:40pm     
emmz83
Total treasure! I love this for a console your super smart and your husband clearly doesn't know much about salvaging old pieces of furniture that are pretty much like gold!
March 23, 2013 at 6:42pm     
Margaret B
Mommajoan, I am going bold, BM Fair Isle Blue. After years of brown and beige I am craving some color. Worked on adding some color in the dining room and am now fixated on the great room.
March 23, 2013 at 6:50pm     
Kelli Kaufer Designs
I have a piece similar to this in my kitchen - it is actually a 100 year old hardware piece that use to hold all the nails and screws with metal bins. My kitchen is a mix of modern, industrial, beachy, rustic design. Modern flat panel brown base cabinets, all open pine shelving, white walls, white ceilings, brown pine wide plank floors - I also needed color so I painted it a teal! Be bold - go for the color - LOVE IT!
March 24, 2013 at 7:46am     
Debra Gunstanson
Love it great find
March 24, 2013 at 7:48am     
Sheila Henderson
I love it.. I can see it as that color just distressed a little more and a great rug to pull out that color and picturesl bird cages..I love the shabby chic look, depends on what your current decor is..
March 24, 2013 at 7:52am     
Margaret B
Attached are the photos of the room. We are moving the current TV console to the screen porch. The walls are painted PP Ostrich Feather very neutral greige with a green undertone. We just mounted the TV on the wall, we will be hiding cords in the wall.
March 24, 2013 at 7:54am     
Margaret B
One more view from the catwalk above.
March 24, 2013 at 7:55am     
Barnhart Gallery
Sheraton legs, classic lines -- a perfect piece. Great job on your space! I hate to ask now that you've just hung it, but can your TV come down so that the bottom lines up with the top of your chair rail?
March 24, 2013 at 8:02am     
Margaret B
No the TV is on a mounting bracket. I think we may need to adjust once we move the console in, so we have not opened up the drywall yet to hide the cables. The buffet is 33" by 76" the top of the chair rail is 35"
March 24, 2013 at 8:10am   
Sheila Henderson
Well u have a lovely home! I am rethinking a distressed off white or Dark blue..sand or wheat..its a beautiful piece and it will complement your room......
March 24, 2013 at 8:11am     
Sheila Henderson
I think mamajoan and I are on the same page...
March 24, 2013 at 8:13am     
tammythiesse
Treasure...without a doubt! I bought a bedroom set that looks like it might be from the same furniture line. I also follow 4 Love of Wood, which is a woman who turns unwanted furniture into amazing pieces. It is so fun to see the before and after. Your home looks very nicely decorated and comfortable at the same time...good job!
March 24, 2013 at 8:28am     
Margaret B
Thanks Tammytheise, comfortable is what we are after! I think the room needs a pop of color and I am very pleased with my find. My husband is actually sold on the idea now and is striping the paint off the drawers for me this morning! Raining today so we won't be painting the piece, but we are doing a lot of preparation for painting.
March 24, 2013 at 8:33am     
starbella
Nice find!
March 24, 2013 at 6:21pm     
Jayme H.
I like it
March 25, 2013 at 7:29am     
Jayme H.
I google the color...is there anything similar in your room? Just curious.
March 25, 2013 at 7:31am   
trasgorshek
I'm with KOH also, I would be happy to haul it away for you also. Lol
March 25, 2013 at 7:34am   
Margaret B
We changed our mind on the color, it looked like forest green in the room. We did a custom mix and it is identical to SW Surf Green. The dining room is painted in SW Sea Salt, the chair in the room is actually the sea salt green and brown (hard to tell from the pics) so we decided to bring a bolder pop of that color into the great room. We have the globs of paint removed from the body of the buffet, but the drawers are proving to be a challenge. I suspect it will take us a few more days just sanding and prepping for primer and paint.
March 25, 2013 at 7:43am     
Margaret B
One more thing I forgot, the new drapes in the dining room are not up yet waiting for the rods but they are in this fabric. I am trying to get the house to flow, a little better, http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/aqua+and+teal+fabric/crete+lagoon.do?search=basic&keyword=lagoon&sortby=priceAscend&page=1
March 25, 2013 at 7:49am   
Margaret B
Pics of colors in dining room
March 25, 2013 at 7:58am     
mkritt
I can't wait to see this beautiful piece in your room! Looking for a "find" like this myself!
March 25, 2013 at 8:01am   
Jayme H.
Cool...that color sounds better...Interested to see results!!! Good luck on your project!
March 25, 2013 at 8:04am   
Margaret B
Thanks Jayme! Any suggestions to help this room are welcomed. My plan is to add the new piece and then build off of it.
March 25, 2013 at 8:07am     
Jayme H.
Are u going to distress it/do a hand rubbed look?
March 25, 2013 at 8:12am   
DIAspoton
okay so these 2 rooms are coming together very nicely. have you chosen a rug and pillows to work with the blues and greens? original art to replace the prints?
March 25, 2013 at 8:19am     
andreayoungc
Love the find!!! Perhaps you will even want to find a new rug that picks up some of the color from your new tv console. A couple pillows with a complimentary colr and you'll think you have a new room. Your room is lovely by the way.
March 25, 2013 at 8:22am     
Margaret B
Originally thought I was going to do a high gloss finish, but not sure that fits with the overall feel of the house. We have many "finds". I work from home and needed a new desk, hubby found a door at the Habitat store, cut it down to size, found legs online and added glass top. I tried to distress the legs but went too far so I am hesitant to distress the Buffet. Not sure my "finds" fit with all the beautiful rooms I see on Houzz, but there is something to be said for giving something new purpose.
March 25, 2013 at 8:43am     
Margaret B
Love the idea of a new rug and pillows. Thanks for the suggestion.
March 25, 2013 at 8:44am   
Margaret B
Any suggestions on a rug or style for the rug?
March 25, 2013 at 8:49am   
A. Peltier Interiors
What a great find and a great project!
March 25, 2013 at 9:03am     
Margaret B
Been looking for a new area rug for the past hour and a half. Everything I like is geometric and will fight with the chair in the room. I have plenty of time to make a decision, Rome was not built in a day! Have decided to finish the Buffet project and will post a new dilemma for decor later.
March 25, 2013 at 10:05am   
Shannon Pavey
What about glazing the buffet instead of distressing? Like this kitchen island....
March 25, 2013 at 10:14am     
Margaret B
Shannon, thank you I really like that look. the glazing adds the character and should bring out the carved details in the top drawers. Now I just have to figure out how to do it. Thanks goodness for google!
March 25, 2013 at 10:17am   
Shannon Pavey
Search Houzz photos for glazed furniture or cabinetry. A subtle glaze would look good. Another example.
March 25, 2013 at 10:18am   
Shannon Pavey
I think you did a great job painting and distressing the desk. You seem crafty so I'm sure the buffet will look great too! Yes, Google is the best! Even check YouTube for how to videos.
March 25, 2013 at 10:19am     
Margaret B
I did a quick google search and found several good resources, both websites and youtube videos Thanks so much for pointing me in this direction. There are a lot of little details in this piece that where covered in globs of paint, the glazing should accentuate them nicely.
March 25, 2013 at 10:24am     
mpoulsom
TREASURE!!!!!
March 25, 2013 at 10:26am     
Shannon Pavey
Post an after picture! I'd love to see the finished product. Your home is beautiful.
March 25, 2013 at 10:39am     
Susan Ellis - Fine Artist
Fabulous Treasure!! I vote for glazing instead of distressing as well. It will be in good shape should you wish to change the colour and style as the "in style" always changes.
March 25, 2013 at 10:47am     
Susan Ellis - Fine Artist
You might also want to strip the hardware of the blue paint and bring them back to original.
March 25, 2013 at 11:12am     
Margaret B
Was suggested by several posters to replace the hardware, but it is not in the budget. Previous owner spray painted the hardware silver. I am going to try to remove the spray paint, not sure what I will end up with.
March 25, 2013 at 11:18am     
jan74
Treasure, and I like painted furniture. I even like lacquered furniture, which must be the equivalent to genocide to your husband, haha.

It would be too large in my house, but I have a similar styled side table - reproduction, made now - that looks great among the modern furniture I have. Oh, and it is fuchsia lacquered.
March 25, 2013 at 11:23am     
Susan Ellis - Fine Artist
I think that it would look alot better than the hardware disappearing into the piece. Post some pictures of it when you are done. I'd love to see the end result :)
March 25, 2013 at 11:26am     
Margaret B
Wow, fuchsia would send my husband over the top. I envy you! My husband loves earth tones and I am definitely a lover of color. We have had to make plenty of compromises over the years, but I am getting old and stubborn, less willing to live in a beige and brown world!
March 25, 2013 at 11:30am     
aniluap2
The trick I used for removing paint from the old hinges and hardware on my doors is soaking overnight in water with a little liquid detergent in your crock pot on low setting. It either floats of or is easy to scrape of. You can spray paint with rustoleum in the metallic color of your choice if you don't like what you find. Dark bronze might look good. They also have a line of hammered metal sprays that actually look hammered when dry!
March 25, 2013 at 11:54am     
Definately a treasure!
March 25, 2013 at 12:05pm     
jan74
He is not a pink lover but it is in a spot he doesn't look at much... from the couch he likes, you can't see that side table. Besides, when he agreed to let me paint a wall column bright yellow, I knew I had free reign. But yeah, he is a beige person and I'm more "grey and yellow and purple and red", so it has been challenging.

This is the table:
March 25, 2013 at 12:05pm     
Margaret B
Thanks for the tip on removing the paint from the hinges. I'll give it a try.
March 25, 2013 at 12:08pm   
Margaret B
Wow, love the table, have one very similar that I use as a plant stand on the screen porch, The table has seen better days, but sure would look good in fuchsia! :>
March 25, 2013 at 12:13pm   
jan74
Or turquoise! Or yellow! Or red!

So many good colors out there. :)
March 25, 2013 at 12:13pm     
Margaret B
Oh the possibilities... Thank you.
March 25, 2013 at 12:15pm   
andreayoungc
Check out rugs on overstock.com. You could also a hint of color by changing your candle color over the fireplace. and if you are really adventureous, you could paint the white surround around your fireplace .
March 25, 2013 at 12:57pm     
Margaret B
I looked on Overstock for an area rug this morning, just uncertain as to what would work.
March 25, 2013 at 1:31pm   
andreayoungc
Do you know what size you need? You said you were liking some geometrics, which could be done with the right pattern. I found one that might work on another site. I emailed it to myself, but don't know how to post it to you on houzz.
March 25, 2013 at 1:34pm     
lvstotrvl
Treasure! Also love the "door" desk.
March 25, 2013 at 1:47pm     
Margaret B
Andreayoungc, I am pretty sure a geometric would conflict with the chair upholstery. Have attached a pic of the upholstery fabric. The colors are brown and a pale green, not sure what color it will look like on a computer monitor. Let me know if you think a geometric would work.
March 25, 2013 at 1:48pm   
andreayoungc
Is your paint color more a green or blue tone. Look on homedecorators.com Go to blue rugs. Look at contour area rug. It might look cool or might clash with the chairs -hard for me to tell over a computer. Also, check our the aviary area rug, vogue rug1, and prairie 1. Those were ones I thought of before seeing the chairs.
March 25, 2013 at 1:56pm     
Margaret B
Thanks! I will check them out.
March 25, 2013 at 2:05pm   
Shannon Pavey
What about a rug that picks up the trellis pattern in your upholstery but also brings color to the room? I'm not a rug quality expert but something like this one might look good. It comes in a variety of colors a would also provide visual interest from the upstairs catwalk.
http://m.ballarddesigns.com/mt/www.ballarddesigns.com/geneve-indoor-2foutdoor-rug/rugs/all-rugs/209401
March 25, 2013 at 2:08pm     
handymam
Kind of glad I didn't see this post until today...I didnt have to wait to see what your TREASURE plans are going to be! :)
March 25, 2013 at 2:13pm     
Margaret B
Wow, Shannon I love that rug in the aqua, on the computer monitor it looks perfect, just not sure about the weave. Along with the hubby I have to decorate around an 80lb black Lab named Lilly who thinks the room belongs to her! Wonder if it would stand up to her and the constant vacuuming to remove her hair!
March 25, 2013 at 2:18pm     
brittanyeliseanderson
Treasure! Thus could make an adorable changing table with a changing mattress on top! Maybe change the knobs to give it new life!
March 25, 2013 at 2:19pm   
Shannon Pavey
The reviews are mixed but mostly good. It's an indoor/outdoor rug so I would think it could handle adorable Lilly! What a beautiful pup! My 35lb Aussie Smokey would love to play with her... :)
March 25, 2013 at 2:30pm     
Margaret B
Thanks Shannon! Smokey is gorgeous and Lilly loves to play!
March 25, 2013 at 2:36pm   
Shannon Pavey
We're enjoying a nice sunny day in California. So glad spring is finally here! Have fun with the decorating and post pics as you make progress.
March 25, 2013 at 2:38pm     
Margaret B
I can't wait for Spring, we are in North Carolina and it has been unseasonably cold and rainy, Thanks for your advice, I am definitely going to look into the rug.
March 25, 2013 at 2:43pm     
orrilln
I used a piece like this but I made it into a vanity for a bathroom with a sink it looks great.
March 25, 2013 at 3:18pm   
wolfpackmom
Margaret B - I am in NC also...where do you find your "treasurers" - flea markets, yard sales, consignment stores? Love what you find and what you do with them. Love Lilly too, I work with many lab rescues!
March 25, 2013 at 3:45pm     
Margaret B
Wolfpackmom, I find a lot of treasures on Craigslist. The listings for Eastern NC are usually a good source. The buffet was in New Bern and worth the drive. Right now formal is a dirty word, so lots of classic furniture available that can be repurposed. I like our home to look collected vs purchased. Hope this helps.
March 25, 2013 at 4:00pm     
DIAspoton
outdoor rugs are wonderful with dogs. just sweep and occasionally take outside to hose down. i use pine sol. i know people who bleach theirs and then hose. they dry quickly in the sun.
read the customer reviews on ballards webite before purchasing a rug. love their style but colors aren't always accurate and the reviewers usually let you know.
March 25, 2013 at 4:10pm     
wolfpackmom
I'm not far from New Bern - I will have to start looking on Craigslist. Have never refinished furniture before so I guess I would start with a small inexpensive piece.
March 25, 2013 at 4:10pm     
butlera
I actually like the piece as is. You mentioned that the previous owner had done a poor job, however, so I would love to see it after sanding. I love a shabby look though. It isn't for everyone. I love what you've done with the desk. The new buffet would look great with the colour you used on the legs of the desk. This piece is most certainly a treasure! Great find! :)
March 25, 2013 at 4:13pm     
goodfood1
Love it!!! Good eye....
March 26, 2013 at 2:51pm     
Margaret B
We have the frame ready for primer working on the drawers! Have been uncovering some wonderful details that were covered in globs of paint. Have decided to glaze after painting based on some wonderful advice from my new houzz friends. The details in the piece will really standout with the glazing. More updates to follow.
March 26, 2013 at 3:36pm     
DIAspoton
ooh this just keeps getting better. what color glaze?
March 26, 2013 at 4:07pm     
furrytoes
Love your find! I've had good luck with a product called Citristrip stripping gel along with their after-stripping wash.
And I love your "birthday suit" photo of Lilly!
March 26, 2013 at 4:10pm     
Margaret B
I have been practicing with a method I found using 3 parts glaze 1 part minwax stain. You paint the piece first with a satin finish (have a teal green/aqua? color paint) let the paint cure and then apply the glaze. I tried an experiment with espresso stain last night and it is too heavy. Going for a lighter stain/glaze experiment tomorrow.
March 26, 2013 at 4:22pm   
Shannon Pavey
I LOVE the details on this buffet. What a great find!! Can't wait to see the finished product. :)
March 26, 2013 at 4:29pm     
Margaret B
Shannon thank you for pointing me in the right direction with the glazing.
March 26, 2013 at 4:34pm     
Shannon Pavey
You're welcome! I'm excited to see it finished! It's hard work sanding, painting and glazing. :)
March 26, 2013 at 4:41pm     
DIAspoton
how about a pewter glaze? it's lighter than expresso but still avoiding the browns and reds
ooh you might even try an antique white for a totally different effect
March 26, 2013 at 4:43pm     
Margaret B
Pewter sounds very intriguing, bling without being overbearing I will work on a few different options tomorrow and post a sample board later this week.
March 26, 2013 at 4:52pm   
ísARK Studio
I would love to see this as a vanity with an ornate mirror above it. It would be a very fun piece in any bathroom. Chrome out the handles and I think it would sparkle with the rest of the chrome in a master or large secondary bath.
March 26, 2013 at 5:13pm   
readbetter
Treasure! Its beautiful. Can't wait to it finished.
March 26, 2013 at 5:42pm     
March 26, 2013 at 5:50pm     
Margaret B
isARK. I totally agree it would be beautiful in the bathroom, it just won't work for us. Our builder installed a white vanity and then the tile. We would have to completely redo the floor, which would then drive me to change the wall tile (pinky beige faux stone porcelain tile). Really would not hurt my feelings to go this route but my budget does not agree. The master bath is my next decorating project, but a reno is not possible.
March 26, 2013 at 6:21pm     
mbsc0511
Fantastic Find. Please post the end product.
March 26, 2013 at 6:26pm   
ísARK Studio
In that case you should stick with your plans they sound great! Best of luck with your project!
March 26, 2013 at 6:27pm   
pattiegoode
Is the hardware brass? I love your find!
March 27, 2013 at 2:31am   
luvdecorating2
Love it!! Have you thought about using Annie Sloan chalk paint? There is no sanding or priming involved. My husband just did it and you would love it!!
March 27, 2013 at 3:50am     
Peggy Corrigan
Agreed google Annie Sloan Chalk Paint...find a retailer.
March 27, 2013 at 4:17am     
diane707
Treasure It could be a sideboard, bath vanity, or TV console (may be high for TV though)
March 27, 2013 at 4:32am     
colombiana1130
LOVE THIS PIECE!!! great find!! post pictures after you finish!!!
March 27, 2013 at 4:40am   
Margaret B
Been experimenting with glazing on an old piece of molding. The base color is the actual color we plan on using. I am leaning towards option 3. Would love some feedback, and yes the TV cables will be in the wall soon, please ignore, Mr. Man and I have been busy!
March 27, 2013 at 10:37am     
andreayoungc
I like #3 and #4. Go with your favorite, I'm sure it will look great.
March 27, 2013 at 11:05am   
aniluap2
If you think 3 looks best with your furnishings go with your gut...it's hard to tell the subtle differences on the computer screen.
March 27, 2013 at 12:33pm     
DIAspoton
looking at the 1st picture which shows all choices, i'd agree 3 is best. maybe 3.5. enough glaze to show definition without overcoming the color.try it on a large sample( like 2' X 4') of butchers paper or poster board or whatever's available and hang with painters tape and see how it looks day and night.
March 27, 2013 at 1:00pm     
Valvorie Dunn
Love your piece.
March 27, 2013 at 1:01pm     
rouxb
4-5
March 27, 2013 at 1:50pm     
14thstreet
3-looks great.
March 27, 2013 at 2:16pm     
Jayme H.
3 from what I can tell.
March 27, 2013 at 2:29pm     
coachbunting42
Very nice addition to your home. I must side with your husband. I refinish a lot of furniture for something to do in the summer when I am not teaching. I love furniture without paint on them.
March 27, 2013 at 2:35pm     
katheros99
Love it! Can't wait to see it finished.... I've been watching this thread since it started, but didn't get on houzz for three whole days! Commenting now because I couldn't make myself go to bed tonight until I had re-found this thread for an update. You are doing a beautiful job!
March 28, 2013 at 8:14pm   
Margaret B
Ta-Duh! We decided to go with a glaze. Just brought into the house, need new hardware so the center doors are not on yet.
April 5, 2013 at 8:24am     
kimdee24
It looks great!
April 5, 2013 at 8:25am     
Shannon Pavey
Wow!!! It looks amazing!! Great job! I really love the color and glaze. :) The details on this buffet are highlighted now instead of hidden with dark paint.
April 5, 2013 at 8:28am     
goodfood1
Love it! Good eye!
April 5, 2013 at 8:36am     
lvstotrvl
Love the color!! Absolutely beautiful!
April 5, 2013 at 8:37am     
Margaret B
Thanks for introducing me to the glaze Shannon, I really love how it turned out.
April 5, 2013 at 8:37am     
Shannon Pavey
You're welcome, Margaret B... but you really deserve all the credit on this one. That took a lot of hard work and you did an amazing job!
April 5, 2013 at 8:44am     
Margaret B
I am having a difficult time with the hardware, planned on using the original hardware and spray painting bronze. Now I think it would look to heavy in bronze and I am thinking about brushed nickel.
April 5, 2013 at 9:25am   
butlera
Oh, it's wonderful! Excellent job! Look at all the gorgeous detail that was obscured before. :-)
April 5, 2013 at 9:26am     
butlera
What about something like this for the hardware?
April 5, 2013 at 9:32am     
Margaret B
I just stripped the paint from the original hardware and it is very similar in color.
April 5, 2013 at 9:36am   
butlera
OK, I was thinking the shape of this hardware might be pretty with your piece.
April 5, 2013 at 10:01am     
Margaret B
Yes it would Butlera, thank you
April 5, 2013 at 10:18am   
aniluap2
I think the aged brass hardware might look nice on your piece. Send us a picture with the original stripped hardware, I bet it blends well nice the piece is glazed
April 5, 2013 at 11:36am     
wolfpackmom
Butlera, I like that hardware also.
April 5, 2013 at 11:44am     
Margaret B
This is one of the original knobs, was covered in silver spray paint. I removed the paint and this is what I uncovered.
April 5, 2013 at 11:56am     
aniluap2
I think they look great as is.
April 5, 2013 at 12:08pm     
Margaret B
Will save a ton of $$$ if I can reuse!
April 5, 2013 at 12:12pm     
aniluap2
Let's see what others chime in with, but IMHO the original ones with their years of patina add character and they suit the lines of the piece.
April 5, 2013 at 12:16pm     
erasistible
I like it except for the arched doors. Looks like they may not be original to the piece.
April 5, 2013 at 12:40pm   
14thstreet
Love the golden hardware -goes nicely with the colors you used on the piece. Beautiful transformation, well done.
April 5, 2013 at 12:54pm     
Jayme H.
I love what you have done...it is just awesome!
April 5, 2013 at 2:27pm     
Margaret B
Thanks! thinking about a "frame" for the TV. Found this example, but would not be as deep with my TV. http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2011/11/custom-tv-frame-by-aspen-mills.html
April 5, 2013 at 2:34pm     
mbsc0511
This is very nice. I like the color and hardware. Mar
April 5, 2013 at 2:56pm     
studio10001
What did your husband say about the result?
April 5, 2013 at 3:05pm   
Margaret B
He likes it, actually helped me quite a bit. Started out as a compromise and we ended up in agreement that it was the best thing we could have done with the piece. He has agreed to make a frame for the TV, so I think he finally gets the vision.
April 5, 2013 at 3:13pm     
Valvorie Dunn
LOVE the way it turned out!
April 5, 2013 at 3:27pm     
tcufrog
That piece is gorgeous.
April 5, 2013 at 3:34pm     
kathysavage
You did an amazing job and I can't wait to see it in place!
April 5, 2013 at 3:40pm     
JUNKY FRESH
I
April 5, 2013 at 3:55pm   
JUNKY FRESH
Great job! I
April 5, 2013 at 4:00pm     
lvstotrvl
Thumbs up on the original hardware!
April 5, 2013 at 4:17pm     
NexTrend Design
I just tuned in to see your entire project. Awesome job on your TREASURE! You worked really hard and deserve alot of praise! Now go and celebrate!
April 5, 2013 at 4:47pm     
DIAspoton
well you did it gal. congratulations. it looks superb. the original hardware is the wise choice.
EXCELLENT all the way.
April 5, 2013 at 5:11pm     
Margaret B
DIAspoton, what do you think about adding a frame around the TV? I found this example and with my TV it would not have to be so deep, would really be more in line with a normal frame. http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2011/11/custom-tv-frame-by-aspen-mills.html
April 5, 2013 at 5:18pm     
ginale
Nice job Margaret B!! You have a good eye for treasures!
April 5, 2013 at 5:25pm     
studio10001
KOH, take the key out of the ignition, all that idling is a waste of gas!!!!
April 5, 2013 at 10:34pm     
wolfpackmom
The original hardware looks great! You have done such a great job with the entire piece. I'm not so sure I care for the frame around the tv though.
April 6, 2013 at 3:49am     
Anne Gibney
Looks awesome, keep the ordinal hardware!
April 6, 2013 at 5:17am     
Margaret B
Thanks Wolfpackmom!
April 6, 2013 at 5:18am   
aniluap2
If you do frame the TV don't paint the frame the same color as the cabinet it will look to matchy,matchy. You could make it an antiqued gold so it blends with the hardware and just looks like a picture and not contrived.
April 6, 2013 at 5:50am   
Margaret B
I don't want it to be matchy, but plan on putting up some black and white photos we have collected. I want the TV to be framed as part of the overall collection.
April 6, 2013 at 6:31am     
aniluap2
Think that will be great.
April 6, 2013 at 6:42am     
Judy M
Candice Olsen did that in one episode, she put framed pictures around the TV, maybe you could find it on her web site for an idea of scale and placement.
April 6, 2013 at 7:14am   
Margaret B
I did a search on Houzz for framed TVs. Found a lots of examples. Plan on working on the frame today and then working out the placement of the black and whites later. Also have two large photos from Savannah I want to use, just not sure, I have horrible issues with getting the right scale. Will definitely need help from my Houzz friends. Fantastic site to share and expand creativity.
April 6, 2013 at 7:21am     
ewe3
Beautiful job on the buffet! Love the lines, the size, the color -- everything. Don't you just love Houzz?

I'm also in NC (Durham) -- thanks for the CL hint; I'll be using it profusely in the near future but staying off of it until then (too dangerous for me). Here's a great blog post with general tips for using CL. http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/02/my-best-online-shopping-tips-part-1-craigslist/
April 6, 2013 at 8:28am     
Margaret B
Thanks for the CL tips! Great blog.
April 6, 2013 at 8:54am   
D. Preston Construction
Love it!!!!! It is defiantly a treasure!
April 6, 2013 at 9:02am     
xraymommy2
Diamond in the rough....total score!!!!
April 6, 2013 at 9:12am     
handymam
margaret, it came outbetter than anything you would have bought because you put your heart into it! I think the orriginal knobs will look great once you clean the rest of them up!
April 6, 2013 at 10:38am     
simplify52
I think it looks fabulous! I have a lot of antique furniture left to me that I haven't done anything with so far and this is giving me many ideas. Be proud!
April 6, 2013 at 11:08am     
ausoutback
Wow, it's beautiful! You did a great job, it looks great, you wouldn't think it's the same piece. My sister wants to paint an old desk turquoise, I'll send her this for inspiration. Well done.
April 8, 2013 at 12:20pm     
Margaret B
Thanks Ausoutback!
April 8, 2013 at 12:41pm   
Susan Ellis - Fine Artist
Love the cleaned up hardware. Piece looks fabulous
April 10, 2013 at 8:11pm     
Brenda Decker
Beautiful, one thing you could consider if you grow tired of the TV stand version of your find, remove the legs add a cushion on the top for a bench with storage.
April 10, 2013 at 8:19pm     
Margaret B
I am saving up for a master bath remodel, I really want to use it as my vanity. Shhhh don't tell my husband!
April 10, 2013 at 8:23pm     
Kim Mvr
i sure enjoyed reading this whole trail of messages! and that piece would be an amazing vanity! :)
April 10, 2013 at 8:48pm     
Brenda Decker
I so agree with you both -- what a beautiful piece and fantastic find... Ideas are endless.
April 11, 2013 at 12:22pm     
victoriagrennan
Treasure !!!!!
April 11, 2013 at 1:32pm     
muppetsmom
Sometimes I agree with your husband about painting over a classic, but this one is definitely beautiful painted...probably looks better with paint, because of all the fancy work! What a great find!
April 11, 2013 at 2:03pm     
Debra Gunstanson
Beautiful I want to find a treasure great job
April 13, 2013 at 9:13pm   
ccompean
beautiful treasure!!!
April 13, 2013 at 9:23pm   
Amy Thompson
Love it!!!
April 13, 2013 at 9:34pm   
martibe05
Treasure. If you have a nook or hallway near a mud room or entryway hall this would go great under some wall mounted coat hangers.
April 13, 2013 at 10:51pm   
Margaret B
Sony as art...
I framed the TV.
April 14, 2013 at 10:11am     
Jayme H.
Fabulous!!
April 14, 2013 at 10:15am     
Shannon Pavey
LOVE IT!!
April 14, 2013 at 10:19am     
Margaret B
I may change the color of the frame, but overall pleased with my "modern art".
April 14, 2013 at 10:31am     
jenbidwell
love it!! what color and glazing product did you end up using??
April 14, 2013 at 10:42am     
Margaret B
Painted the piece with Sherwin Williams Satin Finish(custom mix), and I used 3 parts Valspar glaze with 1 part Minwax stain.
April 14, 2013 at 10:45am     
jg011011
Treasure for sure! Great find, keep us posted on your progress, more pics as you go please!
April 14, 2013 at 10:47am   
jg011011
Looks wonderful! Cute dog too....
April 14, 2013 at 10:49am     
rcc4homes
Awesome! This has been terrific to watch.
April 14, 2013 at 10:56am     
Callie Henrichs
You did a fabulous job Margaret. What a beautiful piece. I love the tv frame the color it is. It sort of celebrates the piece and marries it Especially with your glass jars tying the color together.
April 14, 2013 at 11:04am     
Shannon Pavey
Margaret B, I like the matching frame. You could change it if you end up using the buffet as a bath vanity. Otherwise, leave it! It looks gorgeous together!
April 14, 2013 at 11:04am     
jenbidwell
love the color....i have been looking for a good teal thats well balanced blue/green/gray...this looks spot on....did you color match for the custom color or discover it by accident as i have done so many times :)
April 14, 2013 at 11:08am   
Margaret B
Thanks Shannon and Callie, I am a bit of a perfectionist and can't get the color in the two pieces to match perfectly. Driving me crazy,
April 14, 2013 at 11:11am     
Margaret B
The color was a total accident, I had originally planned on painting it dark and glossy, but nothing in my house is dark and glossy. The paint was originally SW Raging Sea, I toned it down to Surf Green, but when you glaze the color it turns out this funky turquoise
April 14, 2013 at 11:17am     
conniemartines
This was a great transformation...from trash to treasure..it love the frame....what a fabulous job!
April 14, 2013 at 11:28am     
missmealie
Stunning! Well done. You've done a marvelous job.
April 14, 2013 at 11:37am     
Margaret B
Thanks for all the kind words. I will be posting a design dilemma for this entire room after I get my gardens back in shape. The puppies have re-landscaped for me and we don't have the same taste in outdoor design. Lots to do outside.
April 14, 2013 at 12:48pm     
jenbidwell
you are a busy woman!!!
April 14, 2013 at 12:50pm     
ginale
Great job!!
April 14, 2013 at 3:53pm     
mkritt
Beautiful Margaret B!!!!
April 14, 2013 at 3:58pm     
njmomma
What beautiful work! Love it! So jealous ;-)
April 14, 2013 at 4:20pm     
Peggy Corrigan
Really great...inspired.
April 14, 2013 at 5:07pm     
readbetter
Wow, you did a great job. It looks terrific!
April 15, 2013 at 7:26am     
calikym
That looks really nice & best, it's original! Also motivates me to paint more and buy 2nd hand.
April 15, 2013 at 7:30am     
brittanyeliseanderson
Treasure get knew knobs and a fun color!
November 28, 2013 at 1:45am     
Michael Lee, Inc
Total treasure and it seems like you totally found its purpose - great job
November 28, 2013 at 2:48am     
kristylou
GORGEOUS!!! Keep saving those "trash" pieces!!
November 28, 2013 at 7:23am     
Thumbs up!
November 28, 2013 at 7:49am        Thanked by Margaret B
Meghan
TREASURE!!!
November 28, 2013 at 7:51am     
flippa33
What a fabulous job you've done, it looks fantastic!
November 28, 2013 at 9:19am     
rosecottagehome
Your treasure looks absolutely amazing and so very clever to add the frame around the TV in the same glaze!! Trend setter you are, I'd say! Any chance you could show the room looking at your new piece from afar? Would love to see it with the rest of your lovely room. What's next? LOL
November 28, 2013 at 9:30am        Thanked by Margaret B
Margaret B
Rosecottagehome, the room is very awkward and has been a huge challenge for me. There are six openings into the room, our friends call it the room of doorways. I had a dilemma open last year to try and get some direction, bit it is still not complete. I plan on trying again after the holidays. But here is a peak at the room.
November 28, 2013 at 9:56am   
Margaret B
Here is the piece from afar.
November 28, 2013 at 9:58am     
Sustainable Dwellings
I love the piece! I think I would probably take 0000 steel wool and rub it down here and there....
November 28, 2013 at 10:03am     
rosecottagehome
Margaret you have done such a great job in that room, especially with the challenge of all the doorways! You have created a comfy seating area grounded and defined by your area rug. The room looks fab as does your treasure, with the turquoise accents brought through to the sectional. You must be so pleased with all your hard work. Thanks for sharing.
November 28, 2013 at 10:54am        Thanked by Margaret B
nechamaj
It's great! Now you can bring some of the new colour in the drapes.
November 28, 2013 at 11:04am     
mkritt
Margaret, this room reminds me so much of my GR. I will be watching to see all you do. I'm already copying your tv, credenza, and wall gallery. Now would you please buy some oversized lamps so I can see where you would put them?!! :-))
November 29, 2013 at 7:32am     
saratogaswizzlestick
This certainly is a treasure. I love that you kept the hardware and stripped it and the color is perfect. Very fun how you framed your "modern art". I also think you did a great job decorating a difficult but very pretty room.
November 29, 2013 at 9:24am     
Daybreak Workroom LLC
Just swell! I love the color. What I love most is that you're weren't into the piece for more than your time and paint. If it sucked and you hated it? you'd have gotten off cheaply, how great is that? (spousal response to the finished product?)
November 29, 2013 at 9:36am     
jessegee
A real treasure, congratulations!
If you get fed up with colours you can always paint it a wood colour to appease your husband ...
November 29, 2013 at 11:20am     
pattikee
Love what you did here. Fantastic job!
November 29, 2013 at 1:48pm     
nasmijati
Well done!! :)
November 29, 2013 at 3:10pm   
sbrustein
What a nice job. I was going to suggest distressing it nd it definitely has that look.
November 29, 2013 at 3:29pm   
wuff
Love it..
November 29, 2013 at 3:29pm   
From Trash to Treasure
Before you throw those things away during your renovation...
Worldly Wednesday: Trash into Treasure
Have you ever used any second hand items, or even trash,...
It's time to play Trash or Treasure again fellow Houzzers!
Hubby is on his way home with my new Craigslist find....
Headboard - trash to treasure
Just have to share what my husband built for me from...
Style direction
Here's a good example of our design approach. A...
Kitchen Backsplash Layout Around Pass Through?
Help! Can't figure out layout of subway tiles around...
How do you store wine?
Where do you keep your wine? Do you have a separate...
Need Help Designing our Main room in New Apartment in Zurich!
The Main room of our apartment needs help! Right now...
How often do you replace everyday flatware?
I noticed that my flatware is on it's last legs. How...