Redoing exterior
Lauren Elgee March
We've recently bought a house that needs a lot of work on the exterior. We're looking into painting/replacing damaged siding or residing with fibercement board or cedar. Quotes for scraping, fixing and painting our old siding are quite high, partly because of the lead paint and partly because of the state of the clear cedar siding. That's why it might make more sense to start over. Are there any resources for re-selling clear cedar? I love the idea of going dark grey on the exterior and we'll be sticking with white windows since some of ours have been replaced. If we do go with new siding we're not sure if we should do something to create more visual interest on the front facade or just do siding. At the moment there are flat planks of cedar on the front that look pretty scraggily. Looking forward to your ideas! Thanks!
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Since you are going to paint the siding I would go with Hardi lap siding.
March 23, 2013 at 10:30AM   
Here is an example with added architectural details.

March 23, 2013 at 12:22PM     
Lauren Elgee March
Thanks Norm. I've heard good things about it.
March 25, 2013 at 3:30PM   
Lauren Elgee March
Great example Dytecture. That is a lovely house. Someone else mentioned doing vertical panels, which sounds interesting, but I'm having a hard time picturing it.
March 25, 2013 at 3:32PM   
wstdspace
If you are talking about verticle siding, please NOOOOOO! ick. Very cute house btw!
March 25, 2013 at 3:37PM   
pcmom1
I think your home is delightful! I do wonder if going a very dark gray would "shrink" it. I would keep something similar to what you have but spend money on a wider stone walkway and small patio area for under the small round window. A small fountain there would be a nice interesting addition.
March 25, 2013 at 3:39PM   
Lauren Elgee March
wstdspace I think the idea was more like flat panels, not vertical siding, but I'm still not sure how it would look. We're just wondering if we need more visual interest especially since we don't have overhangs.
March 26, 2013 at 9:31AM   
Lauren Elgee March
Thanks for the comment pcmom1 I love your ideas. I think we'll get to the walkway later, but we need to deal with the paint/siding first. It's going to be a pretty slow process getting it looking good.
March 26, 2013 at 9:33AM   
mrstinylady
LOVE the idea of extending out the front in any number of ways, redoing the pathway and landscaping it for additional curb appeal. Making a sound statement of the entire front isn't effortless, but really well worth it. Some privacy landscaping might be nice too. The fireplace is brick, so why not a brick path to the patio and then to the front door? You could also move the front door with the new addition.
March 26, 2013 at 11:03AM   
Lauren Elgee March
I would love to do an extension out front, but our list of things to do before that is pretty long. We're definitely going to work on landscaping and we need to figure out what to do with that path!
March 26, 2013 at 12:42PM   
mrstinylady
Here's some thoughts my computer has to offer.
March 26, 2013 at 4:32PM     
mrstinylady
And . .
March 26, 2013 at 4:33PM     
mrstinylady
I haven't yet changed the siding, have I? Oops.
March 26, 2013 at 4:33PM     
JWinteriors
Mrstinylady
Tell me how you accomplish this...what program?
March 26, 2013 at 5:05PM   
mrstinylady
Ha! Another curious person! Manual labor is the real answer. I just save the original image, open an image-editing software (any will do, but I use one ancient PSP7 that was a free download about a decade ago), and then cut and paste whatever I want into it.
March 26, 2013 at 5:57PM   
mrstinylady
My computer playgound came up with these additions . . . hope you don't mind (I guess the ecisting siding works)
March 27, 2013 at 5:11AM   
March 27, 2013 at 5:25AM   
Lauren Elgee March
Oh my goodness, mrstinylady! Thank you for showing me all these varied ideas. There's lots to think about here.
March 27, 2013 at 7:49AM   
mrstinylady
Since you didn't have an Ideabook loaded into your profile, I decided to go with all options that may work with your style home (while I was at it). Me and my computer are into fun. And resale value. And peace of mind. And wood, plants, concrete, brick, virtual joy, etc. Glad you are having fun too!
March 27, 2013 at 9:30AM   
Exterior re-do
We are replacing our current concrete foundation with...
How would you redo this exterior?
We are looking at this house with our realtor but are...
Help for exterior redo ideas
I just bought this house because I love the layout...
Help with Re-Do of Exterior of Tudor Home
We purchased this home in November and have almost...
exterior redo. how to make it less ugly?
I've been puzzling over this for a few years now…how...
Help With Window Treatment in Boys Room
Hi guys, Please, please, help me! What color can...
Roof Rehab
We just bought this small 1,500 square foot house and...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Help!!! Penny -Tile Installation looks awful!
I came home from vacation to find the new bathroom...