Need help with bathroom layout
yelena62
Not happy with small countertops
kmoody4088
Why don't you get rid of the bench, and instead, put a wall across, and have one long counter for both sinks.
March 23, 2013 at 2:52pm     
yelena62
Thank u but actually it is shelves, not bench. If it is a wall across- shower and toilet room will be too big...
March 23, 2013 at 2:56pm   
Scott Design, Inc.
There is a few things that bother me about this layout beyond the inadequate counter space .
1. Over 35% of the space is hallway rather than an efficient use of space.
2. The closet area is too narrow 3'9" for anything more than one wall of hanging and a 21" shelf unit at the end and 21" of space to stand in to look at clothes.
3. Too many doors open into a constricted space.
4. There is no natural light into the main bath area.

I'm assuming this is a shared bath for kids or guests. I have modified your existing plan in the concept sketch below. Please note that the walkway to either the shower or the water closet needs to be wider than 2'8, at least 36"-42". You can also make the shower and water closet wider in this sketch now that the vanities are the only things determining the space and not the door swing into the shower area and water closet. Both of these comments are not reflected in the sketch.

I have also provided another layout that gives each bedroom its own full bath and better closet space. The two small windows may have to be moved over a bit as well as the entry door but the use of space is better, there is natural light and complete privacy. No need to worry about locked doors or surprises. It may look a little pedestrian now but you will appreciate the impact of a broader expanse of elements (tile, glass, lighting, etc) since the room is not chopped up.

I would have given my eye teeth to have two baths instead of a shared bath for my son and daughter. They were always complaining about something. Just a thought.....
March 23, 2013 at 3:53pm     
yelena62
Thank u very much but it is all master bedroom. I know that it is unusual but my husband and i have very different schedule so it is better to sleep in different rooms but share bathroom and closet. I will really consider your first option. Specially that I absolutely agree with everything . Same things bothered me a lot!!! If u have some other suggestions knowing now that it is a master bathroom - I would really appreciate it
March 23, 2013 at 4:30pm   
Dullea and Associates Inc.
I agree that you definitely need more vanity space. One way to achieve this would be to eliminate the bench/shelving and add opposing doors to access the water closet and shower. Do so would allow you to lengthen the two vanities to approx. 5'-6" each. You could build tower cabinet against the wall at each vanity to replace the lost shelving.
March 23, 2013 at 4:49pm     
yelena62
I am so sorry but I can't read dimensions.... Could you please resend it( the first version ) ?
March 23, 2013 at 4:54pm   
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
How about shifting the circulation aisle towards the window and flipping the vanities across the aisle so that they are on the closet wall. This will also get rid of the weird L-shapes at the shower and w.c.. Net result will be wider vanities (66" long each) or a 48" vanity + 18" linen cabinet each, and a deeper w.i.c. Try to get get the WICs to be 78" deep min. so that you can maximize your rod space on all sides.
March 23, 2013 at 4:56pm   
yelena62
Hard to imagine without draft... I assume it should be nice
March 23, 2013 at 5:14pm   
Scott Design, Inc.
Additional thoughts. Dimensions are probably off but the concepts remain the same. Not too enthused about a window in the shower. Good luck.
March 23, 2013 at 5:37pm     
Steven Corley Randel, Architect
While the possibilities for a solution are infinite, Scott Design provided all the right answers in addition to a free design. I think you owe them a little fee, LOL. I advise that you definitely not build the original plan you posted. Walk-in closets need to be 7 feet wide with hanging rods on both sides or 5 feet wide with hanging rods on one side. This way you have 36", because clothes need 24", to move around in the closet. Those are minimums. Luxury homes build much more spaciously. You could also put the closets in the bedrooms because they are over-sized for the use of just one person. Then you could have much larger bathrooms. Best to get back with the person who did the plans and get this corrected or hire a better architect. Good Luck
March 23, 2013 at 5:58pm     
yelena62
Thank u all very much!!! Very very helpful !!! Scott Design did a great job!!! And I will think about additional closet in the room
March 23, 2013 at 7:11pm   
Dullea and Associates Inc.
The drawing by Scott Design is similar to the solution I described...Great job! The one difference being you could pick up the lost storage space from the bench/shelves by running the vanity cabinets to the side wall and adding tower cabinets. The towers would run from countertop to your desired height. I would recommend including a corner bench and hand held shower head in your shower. The bench will come in handy for women shaving legs while the hand held makes it easy to spray down the shower walls.
March 24, 2013 at 5:34am     
Really like the simplicity suggested by Scott Design, Inc..
March 24, 2013 at 5:56am   
lvstotrvl
I was always told to never put a clothes closet in the bathroom because of moisture, has that changed?
March 24, 2013 at 6:17am   
yelena62
I was thinking about it ,but if reputable architects say it is ok- I assume it is... I guess with proper ventilation should be fine
March 24, 2013 at 8:37am   
Scott Design, Inc.
Your concern is valid. Years ago bath fans were weak, noisy and inefficient and only required in baths without windows in order to deal with potential methane gas leaks. The fans were not equipped to exhaust heavy moisture laden air. Instead, the typical vent could only deal with moisture by circulating the air in the room thereby evaporating it. This required that the fan be on at the beginning, during and after bathing. Clients were advised that moisture could find its way into closets directly off the bath and they would not only need to keep the closet door shut during bathing but use the fan as well. Very few people did this. So bath closets were avoided.

Now, our energy building codes require intermittent ventilation fans in all baths with stronger exhaust capabilities. It is part of a comprehensive approach to whole house air exchange that eliminates not only moisture but odors and other contaminants at their source that can accumulate due to our tightly sealed home construction techniques. If the bath designer or architect has done her/his job, yalena62 has specifications for proper ventilation requirements that will not only eliminate the concerns for bath closets but protect the client’s health and building structure.
March 24, 2013 at 2:31pm     
backbonemountain
We toured the Frank Phillips' (Phillips Petroleum) home in Bartlesville, OK. They had separate bedrooms similar to yours! But they had separate bathrooms. Anyway, I would use the shelving area as the entry to both the shower and toilet. Then extend each vanity to each wall. I personally hate sinks so close to the wall. I want some elbow space. Just a thought. I would put a pocket door, if any at all on the closet to keep from having so many doors.
March 24, 2013 at 2:52pm   
backbonemountain
And only one window. Put it in the walk in space between the shower and toilet.
March 24, 2013 at 2:54pm   
lvstotrvl
Scott Design;

Thanks for the info. on clothes closet in bathroom.
March 25, 2013 at 5:53am   
Need help with bathroom layout? Help! :) please?
Shower wall is 11feet long, opposite wall is 7 feet...
Need help with the bathroom layout
We have a 8 X 6 bathroom and wondering about the layout....
Need help with bathroom tile layout
I am considering running the shower/tub large rectangular...
Help needed with Bathroom/Laundry layout
Hello everyone So im about to move onto my last room...
OK to hang framed pictures in bathroom?
Do you think it's ok to hang framed pictures on our...
Remodel Kitchen
We are moving in a few weeks. This is our kitchen....
Need help for our kitchen
We have build new hse but are stuck on a clean line...
Poured concrete floor or other for large modern kitchen
Hello. We are doing a major refurb on a new home, which...
Bathroom disaster
To me, this is a discombobulated mess. (Glass shower...