mayportugal
June 22, 2011 in Photo Questions
the kitchen hood has an interesting location. this is one of the few layouts i've seen, where the range is facing a wide glass window. i actually like the idea, and am considering the same layout for my kitchen. but a novice architect friend says it is not advisable. is it better to have the range against a back solid wall instead?
Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
This is a beautiful kitchen, but not practical for someone who cooks alot. Imagine how frequently you'd be cleaning that window. Cooktops on islands are a popular choice these days for the kitchen centerpiece and social engagement - however I prefer to have the cooktop on a wall where any splatters are safer and more self-contained. :) Rhoda
June 22, 2011 at 4:27am     
mayportugal
i totally agree. thanks for your reply, rhoda.
June 22, 2011 at 4:52am   
Bud Dietrich, AIA
I've done a similar thing in a few projects like here:

california dreaming - the kitchen

and here:

a not so big addition - the kitchen

One of these projects is over 10 years old and the other about 7 years old. Neither owner has any complaints about clean up and when asked. Note that the exhausts in these projects are down draft systems as we didn't want anything in the way of the views out to the gardens.
June 22, 2011 at 6:49am   
mirey418
What type of hood did you use - an island or wall hood? I am opening up the wall behind my stove so we will have a wider view of the lake.
August 24, 2012 at 9:42am   
House of Cline Design
I am a kitchen designer and placed my range in front of a large window to take full advantage of the river view. I cook ALOT and actually just cooked for 50 over the holiday. I have never had any issues and love the set up. As long as you have a hood with the correct size blower, you will be fine.
January 20, 2013 at 7:38am     
barbav
Amanda, do you think a downdraft would work equally as well for an induction top? Love your kitchen!
June 22, 2013 at 8:26am   
cjh8883
Amanda, could you send/post more pictures of a window placement for a range/hood? I'm considering this and would appreciate a few more visuals.
June 26, 2013 at 2:52pm   
House of Cline Design
To address both questions, I do think a downdraft would work, as long as it was a strong one. Also, you may want to consider covering the window sill in stainless steal. Here a couple more images of the hood in front of the window.
July 1, 2013 at 5:05am     
Brown everything. Searching for a rug... Help!
Hello. I am searching for a rug to put in my living...
Curtains
When are short curtains ok? I was thinking of small...
Decorating dilemma: what to do with this space?
I don't know what to do with this area of my apartment....
Furniture placement
Hi, I have a room in the house which I'd like to make...