Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taylorjj

A most beautiful space! Side mirror question

taylorjj
11 years ago
Did you put the side mirror on the wall to increase the light reflection or is it a medicine cabinet? I am getting rid of a large 8 ft. Mirror with Hollywood lights of 400 watts and am wanting do an application like yours (I have 36" sink can., sit down vanity, and another 36" sink cab.) But 4 60 wart sconce ps as not enough light! Should info the mirrors on each side like yours? It is so beautiful! Thank you in advance!
San Franacisco Nob Hill Highrise · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    11 years ago
    The side mirror is on a medicine cabinet. It is a windowless room so the mirrors help reflect light. A wood cabinet door would have worked as well. I am not sure what you are asking. It sounds like you have a 36" sink cabinet at each end with a sit down vanity in the center (24"W?) if you originally had an 8' long mirror. It sounds like you would have the reverse of this bath with the outer mirrors wider and a narrow mirror in the center and 4 sconces (one on each end and one on each side of a narrow mirror in the center. This can work but be sure the end light sconces do not interfere with a side medicine cabinet door. Also the sit doiwn vanity should be at a 30" height and the sink counters at 36" height. I would also lower the center mirror and trim or it will be awkward viewing when sitting at the vanity. Consider finding sconces with higher wattage (100 watt) if possible and augment with other lighing such as a pendent or chandelier or recessed cans elsewhere in the room. Note that in this room we installed recessed cans along the fronts of the closet on the opposite side of the room. You do not want lights directly over the person standing or sitting at the counter or above the counter as it will create shadows on ones face.
  • taylorjj
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for answering! I noticed the iPad spell correct made things a little difficult! You have my layout correct. I cannot seem to find pretty, traditional, dressy sconces with one 100 watt bulb that are the size I need. So frustrating! And I'm getting different input on extra lighting. One said to augment "task" lighting I should put 3 cans over the center of the sinks and vanity, about 12"out. One said I should put the cans 30" out from the mirror/wall for more "general" lighting. (I have no other place to put a hanging light due to a ceiling fan that I must keep and a skylight. How far out are the cans in front of the closets doors? Which are stunning by the way, as is the chinoiserie toile. Anymore help would be greatly appreciated and thank you again!
  • phillipsmary
    10 years ago
    What a gorgeous bath. I am searching for creamy white and brown basketweave marble tile and am having difficulty finding it. Could you share where you found yours? Thank you so much.