Kitchen Reno, backsplash?
Darlene Cere_Brayton
I am currently renovating my kitchen , cabinets will be cream, countertop will be "Blackwood" quartz, floor is neutral beige variegated ceramic tile, appliances will be stainless. My dilemma is the backsplash, I would like something timeless, not trendy. I do like glass subway tiles ( like the attached pic) but worry about their trend factor, also I would like a focal area above the range ( I will have a painted integrated hood ( slightly decorative ). Any help would be appreciated. ps the diagram attached is the view from the living room. Thx:)
Interiors International, Inc.
Beige is your color palette so you are already past your trend. It is basically out of style already. Well it has had a 20 year run.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 4:12PM
Darlene Cere_Brayton
The floors are beige, and I can't change them. But are cream cabinets also passé?
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 4:14PM
You'll have cream, black, beige and stainless. You need color! Just about any color will go with this pallette, I would pick my favorite and find tiles in that color for your backsplash. I don't think glass tiles will go out of style any time soon, and if you love them, so what if they do? Your kitchen has to make YOU happy! [houzz=
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 5:30PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Darlene Cere_Brayton, The cream cabinets are fine as is the beige floor. Just don't add any more beige. I totally agree with olldbobbi and she was also more tactful. The colors above are great and you do need color.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 5:34PM
Darlene Cere_Brayton
Thank you for the comments, I like the sea green, and blue glass tiles . And those Ann Sacks tiles are gorgeous!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 5:58PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Darlene, those are nice choices.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:00PM
I agree about the Ann Sacks tiles! I just wish I had that kind of budget. I like the gree and blue too, but I'd really like to find coral tiles, that's one of my fave colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:01PM
Darlene Cere_Brayton
Also, I can still change the cabinets and counters. What would you suggest instead of the painted cream finish?
    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:02PM
I would suggest white, but I'm not sure with the stainless appliances. My kitchen, I painted all the cabs stark white to match the appliances, because I don't care for stainless myself. I removed a few cab doors and painted the inside light denim (Behr) and treat it as open shelving. I like it alot and people seem to like it too.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:05PM
Interiors International, Inc.
White looks good with SS. And when you bring in all the color we've talked about it will be great!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:12PM
Lkristine
Depending on the tone of your cream cabinets and beige flooring, if you aren't careful with you selection your cabinets which are a huge visual in most kitchens could end up looking peachy/pink in undertone. Given what you have described, not wanting trendy, I would look to classic mother of pearl. It will bring out grays and blend with cream and beige, and won't be subject to color trends so much since it combines all subtle colors in a simple way while still adding a little sparkle.
Another option would be in a hexagon shape. http://www.motherofpearltiles.com/designer-tile-mother-of-pearl-mosaics
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:34PM
Darlene Cere_Brayton
Lkristine, I do love those tiles, but everyone keeps telling me that I need colour, do you not agree? Or would you stay monochromatic? Also do you know how durable and easy to clean these tiles are? This is a total kitchen gut with a wall being removed to establish a raised bar area that faces the living room, with a water view. The other part of the kitchen opens to the familyroom. The kitchen has vaulted ceilings, so it is pretty siry. The house is in Florida, and we will retire there sometime in the next few years, I really don't want it to be outdated by then:) this is a huge endeavor for us, and I'm a little scared!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 7:02PM
Lkristine
I would keep it monochromatic for things that are more permanent and costly/labor intensive to replace. As well as keep the style of those items classic. You would be surprised how much color you can add with accessories. Look at it this way, if you add a colorful backsplash based on what you like now, and/or current trends......in 5 years you might say "CRAP!" Then you have to go and redo the backsplash. Yet, if you do something classic and neutral, in 5 years, you say "CRAP!" Yet all you have to do is update some countertop accessories and maybe an area, and/or runner rug.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 7:41PM
darlenerunner
Thanks Lkristine, that is exactly what I was thinking until that design guy told me that my neutral palette was passé. That totally made me rethink my choices.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 10:36AM
goodfood1
Tin panels. Available Lowes or Home Depot. Everyone does tile. You can even install them yourself... Many styles and colors to choose from !
1 Like    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:44AM
michigammemom
Take a look at this appealing kitchen with green glass subway tile. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/387360/Kitchen-remodel--green-tile-galore
1 Like    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:54AM
Yoko Oda Interior Design
There are so many options out there. You can keep the subway tile layout without using glass tiles. I have used ceramic and porcelain tiles for backsplashes for the same reason. ---My clients were concerned about glass getting out of style. The size of the tile also dictates the style. You can even use natural stone tiles in the same fashion or go completely different directions like some other people commented here. I attached some pictures for you to give you some ideas.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 6:26AM
Lkristine
The design guy could be passe????? Stick with YOUR gut!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:40PM
Backsplash ideas for kitchen reno
We've just put in new granite countertops and stainless...
Jemma Pugsley
Kitchen Reno
We are renovating a small apartment with a walk through...
gocolor
Finished the reno; need backsplash ideas
We had backsplash tiles picked out but they didn't...
lschroeder1729
Kitchen Reno
White shaker kitchen with grey floor tile calacatta...
builder
Need ideas for my rental kitchen
I would like to do something to spruce up/update our...
Krista Coleman
2 questions: Should I get end tables here? What colour for area rug?
We recently renovated our home. This is the living...
timevampire
need cabinet advice
What can I do revamp these cabinets on a budget? They...
tarabunge
Help with ideas for door
I'm looking to get rid of these Venetian blinds for...
lafata4
Need help with tile question
Our designer wants to use a 45 degree grout application...
janny3