New flooring for putting home up for sale
Suzan Elichaa
I have a 3800sqft home built in 1993. The carpet color is dated and will be a buyer turn off. I considered an allowance but replacement is better. I live in New England where wood is common and popular. Currently LR DR HALL are carpet. The kitchen with good sized table area is vinyl and needs to be replaced. A high quality wood is the best choice but I would never get my investment back. I am considering a good laminate for kitchen and a neutral tan/gray carpet. My thought is kitchens sell the house. With the current new frig I do not have clearance for wood although I can buy a smaller used frig and solve the issue.
Since I am doing this to help the sale
Is laminate okay
Should I spring for wood and take the loss
Is carpet a big turn off in the living room. We do have 2other family room areas for tv etc.
I found a carpet with beige and gray variegated yarns, very subtle. Is this the right choice.
The house is a traditional colonial.
Interiors International, Inc.
How much will the home be list at?
March 23, 2013 at 6:04PM   
K B
Generally, improvements done to help sell a home are just that; they're not done for a return on investment, but rather to facilitate a sale. This begs the question--will changing the floor to laminate actually "help" sell the home. If other homes in your neighborhood regularly use laminate then it is probably fine. But if people shopping in your neighborhood expect hardwood then when they see the laminate they'll still be calculating how much it's going to cost them to upgrade to hardwood, so your improvement may be for naught. If you don't know what is expected in your neighborhood, you should consult a real estate agent who regularly handles listings in your area, they will gladly tell you what changes are worth your time and money.
Of course, you also need to consider your market. If your market is heating up due to low interest rates, low inventory, seasonal shifts, then it may sell quickly regardless of whether you use laminate and carpet. If houses aren't selling in your area, it may facilitate a quicker sale if not a higher price if you put in hardwood. The material choices sound appropriate for your home style, it's just a matter of what your market and neighborhood dictate--consult a couple of local real estate agents.
March 23, 2013 at 6:30PM   
Suzan Elichaa
Thanks for the advice.
The house will list above 400,000 and I would say an avg for the area is maybe 250,000. This is a trade up home probably for a family with kids.
The comment about the buyer still seeing the laminate as something to replace was eye opening.
I am not expecting to profit from the upgrades but I do want some reward. I would hope the sell price would be higher even a 50% return would be fine. Otherwise why do it.
The current carpet is. A mid teal--softer not garish.
Would I be better to just give an allowance?
I spoke with 2 realtors. One said do the allowance. The other said buyers don't have vision and may be turned off and walk away.
A person buying this home has money. I know for me whatever is there I would like to change to my own taste. Of course I have good decorating ability so I can see beyond ant disaster. ( No comments in the teal carpet please). I am concerned that if I spend a ton on hardwood the buyer will not like my choice. Old homes here have plain oak or maple. Dark floors are popular right now. My stairs and rails are dark so I think a dark floor would be best.
If I spend 15k+ on an inexpensive wood I doubt it would raise the price 5k but it would show better. I cannot afford a higher end product.
What color wood? Kitchen is all white?
March 24, 2013 at 4:43AM   
I would either go for hardwood or engineered hardwood, or include an allowance for the buyer. If I saw laminate or wall to wall carpet (even new and neutral) I'd be calculating the cost of ripping it out and replacing it. So while it might sell a bit faster without the teal carpet, I don't think you'll get a ROI for the cheaper options, and I'm not sure you'll get a substantial enough ROI for doing it the right way with a good hardwood for you to feel it is worthwhile. I do think it could sell quite a bit faster, however, with the wood people expect to see in your area (depending, of course, on what the rest of the house looks like).
March 24, 2013 at 5:25AM   
DB Klain Construction, LLC
An engineered hardwood would be the best choice with a Laminate floor being the second choice. You can get by with carpet in the LR, but the kitchen needs the new floors. Kitchens do sell the house.
March 24, 2013 at 5:32AM   
I agree if you are going to replace the flooring, might as well do it 'right' the first time with real or engineered hardwood flooring. This would provide a much better first impression to potential buyers.
March 24, 2013 at 5:52AM   
Interiors International, Inc.
At that price point I really would put in a quality floor. The buyers in that range are very savvy and they want up-scale finishes. They also know them when they see it.
March 24, 2013 at 5:56AM   
Putting house up for sale, should we paint over art work?
We are putting our house up for sale. Should we paint...
need help with front yard of small home near lake, up for sale
Selling our rental home and the front is not attractive....
The Importance of the Basement in the New Jersey Home Sale
When a house is under contract for sale, the buyer...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
floor stain
anyone know how this floor stain is achieved?
Bathroom sconces suggestion
The bathroom is new and needs curtains and lighting....