New kitchen help
Megan Barkevich
My husband and I are remodeling our kitchen, and actually completely reconfiguring the first floor. I am really focused on trying to make the whole house have a traditional look, but with eclectic touches. Currently I am stuck on countertop choices. Flooring will all be hardwood, and my cabinets are a white/linen with a very subtle glaze. I am doing a glass tile/stone subway backsplash and stainless appliances. What is the best design decision?
onthefence
My personal choice would be something solid. I like the black on the left.

I'd like to make a suggestion though if you haven't already done so. I do love your backsplash tile -- but have you looked at a photo of it in a large installation? I've had a few patterns that I just think are gorgeous - but when I look at a large expanse of the tile, the high contrast is a little overwhelming for me. YMMV.
March 23, 2013 at 6:56PM     
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
That blacksplash should be paired with a solid color countertop--I would say a mid gray stone--black is too much contrast to cabinets and blacksplash
March 23, 2013 at 7:00PM     
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
You also could go with a mid beige color, but I would keep it solid.
March 23, 2013 at 7:03PM   
Ann
I agree with onthefence. If the backsplash is for sure, definitely the one on the left. Both look very nice with the cabinets, but the one on the right with that backsplash is way too much going on.
March 23, 2013 at 7:05PM   
latifeh
I won't go with the black it's a high maintainable color and I am with the other to go with plain color how about honey color and you pick the shade you want they will all work
March 23, 2013 at 7:11PM   
ladyslipper1
I agree a solid countertop with the backsplash shown. We have antiqued white cabinets similar to your choice and have a dark brown granite which goes well with that color cabinet. And would pick up the browns in the backsplash. The other granite is quite nice too, but should be paired with a more subtle backsplash so they don't compete with each other. Either way, it will look nice. You have some great choices!
March 23, 2013 at 7:15PM     
bcgirl80
Have you considered soap stone? You can go black or green.
March 23, 2013 at 7:15PM   
K B
The first picture demonstrates why you need a more solid countertop. How about a quartz countertop. You could get a grey shade that would bring out the stone in your backsplash but provide enough contrast with your cabinets.
La Costa
Beaverton Kitchen
A.S.D. Interiors kitchen remodel
Miller Kitchen
Kitchen Remodel
March 23, 2013 at 8:14PM     
marcysquad
March 23, 2013 at 8:22PM   
Megan Barkevich
This was the design I was inspired by and working off of. What are your thoughts on it?
March 23, 2013 at 9:53PM     
JWinteriors
They have an ivory granite which you should take a look at. The photos you just put up, show a brown countertop vs the black. Black truly is a water spot magnet around sinks, so beware. Your selections are otherwise, beautiful.
March 23, 2013 at 10:15PM   
Megan Barkevich
Am I better to look at Quartz? I need to stay in a $4,500 budget for the countertops, and I have about 55sq/ft.
March 24, 2013 at 5:06AM   
Megan Barkevich
Also, is it wrong to think that my horizontal surfaces should be alike in terms of color? I thought that with a medium wood floor I should have a darker countertop .
March 24, 2013 at 5:09AM     
If you are going to use that backsplash, I would choose a solid color countertop either in the gray or the dark brown from the tiles. Personally, I would go with a simpler backsplash, but that is just a personal preference for less busy visual fields. But you don't want a busy granite pattern along with that backsplash. As others have noted, they will compete and make the kitchen as a whole look chaotic.
March 24, 2013 at 5:15AM   
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the combo. I would get a basic tile for the field and use the glass as an accent strip.
March 24, 2013 at 5:17AM   
Megan Barkevich
@interiorsinternational - can you show me an example of how you would do that? Thanks!
March 24, 2013 at 5:30AM   
Interiors International, Inc.
Sure, like this but use at least a 4" wide strip.

March 24, 2013 at 7:30AM   
Ann
I like interiorsinternational picture, but once again it's a very plain backspash (even with the stripe) with a busy countertop. As long as you keep one plain if the other is busy, it will look great. I agree with feeny about a grey or dark chocolate brown with that backsplash. Both of those colors would be quite nice with your stools too.
March 24, 2013 at 8:24AM   
Interiors International, Inc.
I couldn't find a better picture. But with a wide stripe of your glass tile with a solid tile above and below it will look great and make a statement. Plain will be boring.
March 24, 2013 at 8:37AM   
bcgirl80
I know what it's like to get hooked on a look, decide what is your most favorite thing about the look - the glass tile the cabinets etc. I would work around your favorite. Something that does not compete with the glass tile but rather shows it off and makes it the focus. I agree with all above going with a more solid or less busy/ or competing countertop. Some soap stones and other natural stones have less motion. The soap stone can be natural or polished. There are some really cool granites with less movement as well. The soap stone are dark, but can look grey when not polished.
March 24, 2013 at 11:29AM   
bcgirl80
I typed in a google search for grey granite - I also found this but not too sure about colors. http://www.marble.com/materials/granite/Arcobaleno-Blue#20. I would match the dark glass or the grey colors in the mosaic.
March 24, 2013 at 11:33AM   
March 24, 2013 at 11:47AM   
bevballew
I checked out the above site. It has a nice brown granite also you may want to look at. I agree with above statements. Either pick the counter or backsplash as your favorite and work from there but the combo above is too busy and apparently black granite is not too suitable in a kitchen poising don't think it works with that backsplash and your beautiful cabinets.
March 24, 2013 at 11:47AM   
Megan Barkevich
Are these stones more the right speed for the countertop? I think that the idea of using glass tile for the majority of the backsplash with a 4" accent of the more busy pattern is probably the best way to go. This way it will help to tone down the back, but still incorporate the colors and design I love. I could always to the entire area behind the range and vent hood in the mosaic style tile.
March 24, 2013 at 1:51PM   
onthefence
I really like all three of those stones. Viewing colors on monitors can be tricky. For that matter, viewing colors anywhere but your own kitchen can be tricky! I'd really suggest that you get a sample piece of each and compare them in your own kitchen to your cabinets and make the decision based on that.

I think too you've made the best decision on the backsplash - using the glass/stone as an accent stripe will be beautiful! To me, when you have large expanses of something with that much visual activity it stops being quite as special. Little touches of it here and there really show it off!
March 24, 2013 at 2:36PM   
Ann
I like the 3rd one but agree you must see a sample in your kitchen and next to the backsplash. The first one reads a bit yellow and the second a bit pink.
March 24, 2013 at 3:19PM     
Help choosing Family Room paint color!
I want to paint our casual family room to bring in...
Kitchen Update Help!
We just purchased a home and love it! The only thing...
What else?
What else does this space need? I don't have a ton...
Need help with blueprint
The problem is the placement of the fireplace. I planned...
I need help with my backyard!!!
okay as you can see I use to have a pool in my backyard...