Big mistake.

kristi oldhamMarch 24, 2013
This is newly installed Kitchen countertop, backsplash and tile and I hate it. Finally talked hubby into remodel and this is what I have done. WOW, What was I thinking? What can I do to fix this? I get dizzy everytime I go into kitchen. Please help camaflaugh this somehow.
Ed
Kristi, so sorry to hear that. Do you think you can find an appliance that would fit perfectly in that square spot to cover up the backsplash ? Or, how about building a custom cabinet right there, and use it as a mini-library for your cook books, or your condiments ? :)
Nordquist · More Info

Decatur Kitchen Renovation · More Info

Lucy McLintic · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:35AM
lewlew
I like Ed's idea of bringing kitchen cabinetry down to countertop. Just make sure you know what you want in that cabinetry as you may be paying a pretty penny for it. Glass cabinets with lighting ( I see electrical wiring hanging in pic so this wouldn't involve extra wiring) and a lower pullout drawer? Appliance garage with lift hydraulics so the door opens up and out of the way?
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:46AM
krispyk
Yeah, it's a little busy. Can you tear out the tiles and continue with what you were doing? That would be the cheapest route to go, IMHO.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:04AM
I agree that taking it out is probably the right decision. That square area isn't too huge, and if you just continue with the subway tile and accent border it will look much calmer and more consistent.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:10AM
Interiors International, Inc.
I would get a brushed steel frame and put almost anything more neutral in it. Than hang it over that. It could even be your base tile.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:14AM
pattiegoode
Bless your heart!
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:21AM
DB Klain Construction, LLC
You can get away with keeping it if you reduce the amount of the little tiles. You can take the existing little ones out, and put a boarder around a section and create a square. You could use a metal trim piece to surround a square and then fill in the outside with the white tile. Here is an example of a backsplash that has a square like I am talking about.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:28AM
pattiegoode
I imagine DH will not want to retile just yet. So, divide that big square! Ikea has lots of things that might work, depending on your style. Grundtal stainless rods have lots of options to hang from them:
GRUNDTAL Wall Rack/Dish Drainer, Stainless Steel · More Info

LIMHAMN Wall shelf · More Info

Cow Hollow Residence · More Info

What if you painted every black tile white? Since it's a backsplash it won't get much wear. The problem I see is that the mosaic tile has too many variations in it. I can't tell from the pix but if one of the tile colors matches the countertop color, you could use it instead of the white. Just a thought!
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/paint-over-glazed-backsplash-tiles-25377.html
What was in the niche to begin with? I have a friend who did blue & white checkerboard once & felt the same way you do...don't feel like you are the only one who ever made a design mistake, please!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:43AM
pattiegoode
Awe, Lisa C! They have yet to install the cooktop & vent! You are so smart. I was thinking they had moved it somewhere else. In that case (lol), a solid stainless panel gets my vote. It will give the eye a place to rest as it follows the mosaic insert around the room.
Backsplashes · More Info

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00206261/
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 7:15AM
krispyk
I was also thinking that you might be able to paint it - not all of the tiles, but enough to make it look like that rest of the backsplash. If you don't like it just rip it out and continue with the simple look under the cabinets. I feel that trying to make a square around it is just more busyness.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:11PM
honeapathsc
Get a piece of half inch grante slab cut to size with polished edges and adhear right to the tile on the wall. Black galaxy or a gray tone would look nice.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 1:28PM
Stamps Design Services
Oh my! I know you do not to hear this but you really do need to remove the tile and start again or you could try to remove only the accent tiles and add something like this to the space... it would work better with the counters and cabinet colors
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 1:53PM
Stamps Design Services
And perhaps finsh the room by painting it in a soft neutral tone...
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 1:55PM
orangecamera
I'm confused by the comments. Are a stovetop and hood going in there?
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:04PM
armygirl1987
The question would also be do you hate them together, the white tile or mosaic.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:11PM
kristi oldham
Thanks everbody for trying to help but I just broke down and told my husband I screwed up, so he has agreed to replace it for me. Just going to make it all the white subway tile and get rid of the ugliness.. Hes not real happy with me, but the tears helped...
9 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:12PM
armygirl1987
Awesome, tears always work.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:15PM
orangecamera
Aw kristi, sorry it's been tough, but the worst is over.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:15PM
kristi oldham
Didn't really want it all white but couldn't deal with screwing up again, nor could my husband
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:19PM
DIAspoton
yeah, glad it's resolved
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:22PM
You have a kind husband, and you both have made the right decision.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 3:39PM
noreaster88
Glad you were able to get it changed...

Don't be hard on yourself. Everyone does it! Ask me how many times I painted our new downstairs bathroom...I think it's actually about a square foot smaller, it has so many coats of paint on it...

(())
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:21PM
orangecamera
Okay, I'll bite :) noreaster88, how many times have you painted your new downstairs bathroom? ;)
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:22PM
noreaster88
Okay, if you're going to make me count...

First three coats were primer (mold-resistant drywall was almost PURPLE...kept showing through paint samples).

Then taupe on the top third and white on the bottom two-thirds...two coats of taupe and three coats of white (see purple drywall issues, above)...

White was too white. Changed to a warmer white, two coats.

Taupe was too...fleshy. Changed to a more sand color. Two coats.

Decided I didn't want to divide the room horizontally with the two colors, so painted over the white with the sand paint.

TOO MUCH SAND!!!

Three new paint samples. Each one looked great for a square foot area...then I'd get around a corner and the color would reflect on itself and be MUCH TOO DARK.

Finally one Sunday when the stores were closed and I had to start tiling the shower surround ASAP I threw all three paint samples into a gallon of satin white, and behold, the perfect color.

I ran out on the second coat with one wall left.

Drove two hours to the closest store with a paint-matching machine, repainted the room again just in case, and now it's finally perfect.

See? It could be worse! ;)
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:39PM
orangecamera
OMG, that's a LOT of painting! I've actually lost count while reading. Thank you for sharing. :D And what a cool way to get the right color. Necessity is the mother of invention.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:47PM
snikalfritz
Noreaster88, I have repainted the same room a few times myself. So much so that the people who mix the paint at my local paint store know me well. I am known to get one wall painted and decide I want to change the tonal value a bit and run right back to the store and make them add more tint colorant. :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 6:49PM
Am I making a big mistake ? Appreciate any suggestions :)
We are in the demolition process of a major kitchen...
petlovermarcie
Finance: Tips For Finding Your Mortgage Lender Article By...
New Homes & Ideas Magazine
Need help with my red roof.
10 years ago we bought a farm. We got lucky on a deal...
seafild
Am I making a mistake by using marble on my kitchen island??
I'm re-doing my kitchen and changing my dark granite...
wanda1204
New floors - did I make a big mistake??????
We just had Armstrong engineered hardwoods installed...
robingibbons
Living room "China" cabinet
Ok, basically, I really like my living room. The furniture...
nancycath
building my backyard
my backyard before i started playing w/dirt year ago.....
uknow7830
Need help with kitchen cabinets
renovating my kitchen. The designer is suggesting eurogloss...
slaterirwin
25' privacy fence gate on rollers.
I have put up a privacy dance along my business and...
Anthony's Home Repair & Remodeling
Bathrooms
What is the best finish for a bathroom condo in OC...
dcconway