What could I do with this space?
lovineachday
I believe it's called a sunken solarium. It sits between the kitchen and a sitting room. We don't need more kitchen space... Right now, I have a shelving unit with some plants and knick knacks on it and the kids were doing some indoor camping. Lol We put our Christmas tree here in December but what could I do with it for the rest of the year?? Thanks!
If on a southern exposure it can provide some passive solar heating, but it is also a terrible spot to trip and fall - experience speaking. You might want to put more railing around it so the perimeter is better marked. If it were my house and cost was not prohibitive, I'd raise the doors and the floor and forget this lawsuit waiting to happen.
0 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 1:40PM
jaineb
Not sure the layout of your ?living room (to the right in first picture) but if you had a couch or love seat placed horizontal along the right side you could put another coordinating shelf against the back of the sofa. Would give symmetry to the space. Doesn't make it more functional though...?
0 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 2:46PM
Jayme H.
A "sunroom" like area with an area rug and rattan/wicker seating pieces? Not right in front of the door, of course...
2 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 3:04PM
latifeh
Well this what foyers for. Nothing leave it open for your kids to play at least they won't destroy your furniture but if you want to add a bench on the opposite side two big plants by the door and it will be still open for the kids
0 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 3:23PM
carole
would put a round table,maybe with flowers or pictures and at christmas put the tree there again...
4 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 3:29PM

round table and stunning chandy centered over the tile area. Right now your ceiling fixture is off.
0 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 3:32PM
Robyn McCoach
Raise the door put a step up coming in and raise the floor cover with same hardwood and enjoy a space that is useful where you don't have to worry about someone tripping and falling.
2 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 3:34PM
tlsq
I love the round table idea. I'd remove the railing and the shelf. Maybe put a round rug under the table, two tall trees on either side of the door. I'd take two sitting chairs and back them up to the angled parts of the floor and put a small table between the chairs with books and writing materials. On the big round table I'd put a vase of flowers and maybe even hang a chandelier from the ceiling. I'm not crazy about the tile. Mosaic may look interesting instead of a rug.
2 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 3:49PM
lovineachday
Thanks so much for the ideas! I'm going back and forth between the round table and the wicker furniture/sunroom set idea. If I were to put two trees/plants on that wall, would I put them in the corners or right beside the outer edges of the patio doors?
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 8:28AM
Jayme H.
With the plants...I think u could put some plants near your doors..I would think they would look fine there...Also could likely add a few here and there and if they don't look right to u, just omit them from your space...Show what u do please!!! :)
1 Like   March 30, 2013 at 7:02AM
carole
would try out both positions,to see which one will allow the most light still coming from the windows...
1 Like   March 30, 2013 at 10:31AM
lovineachday
What if i placed two tall non glass vases/containers on the sides of the doors? 'm not sure how to post photos from my idea book in discussions. Thinking tall reeds or something like that. Would that work?
1 Like   March 31, 2013 at 4:28PM
carole
had a look in your ideabook,,yes,that would work!!
1 Like   March 31, 2013 at 4:41PM
lovineachday
Hey guys! I added a cute wicker set... thanks soooo much for the suggestion!! What do you think? Would you choose a different placement? Still need to figure out what to do with plants... I got a smaller stand and will experiment this week.
2 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 6:53AM
Awkward living room space!! Need. Ideas on what to do.. This could "ma
What do I do with this awkward space?? My husband is...
verink27
Space above cabinets, they bug me what do I do with them.
I need some advice, add cabinets, fill in with drywall,...
Lisa MacInnis
Extra space, what do I do?!?!??
I have a spare bedroom that's been sitting "empty"...
ashrie
Extra space, what do I do?!?!??
ashrie
Converting 3/4 bath to laundry/powder room. Vanity top suggestions?
Mudroom off our garage was linked to kitchen on one...
deborahjarman
Furniture Placement
I need ideas on how to place my furniture. There is...
vegetabile
Mom needs new rug, window treatments, tables
We painted mom and dad's living room as a Christmas...
kcmnc
Change wall colour?
Just wondered if anyone could suggest and wall colour...
Susanna Thomas
What to do with off center fireplace, tv and furniture placement.
My 1954 ranchelo living room is 15 x 13 and I don't...
zeeveezee