lusky491
Redoing master bedroom and wanted to do wood floors. However, we are very tough on our floors with a small home and a dog so we are looking into wood look tile for durability. Thoughts ? Also I love the look of bamboo floors. What do you think?
DeCocco Design
Bamboo is supposed to be stronger than regular hardwoods and the strand bamboo is getting lots of rave reviews. Engineered hardwood is something to look into as well.
0 Likes   June 22, 2011 at 5:58PM
lusky491
decocco, I very much appreciate your imput.
0 Likes   June 22, 2011 at 6:16PM
pauli12
We wanted heart pine but when I saw my floor man's Brazialian Cherry floors I liked them almost as much. They are much much harder and he said you couldn't hurt them. They are a rich deep brownish red with lovely grain.
1 Like   June 22, 2011 at 7:15PM
Studio Tile & Stone
Absolutely go with a high quality porcelain "wood look" tile for durability, especially in a home with kids & pets. It is low maintenance, non-absorbent, unaffected by pet claws or accidents. Excellent quality wood look tile fools even "wood guys"... see the pics of projects we've completed in Florida. The tile in these photos is produced by Porcelanosa, the Block Series. The best wood look tiles are produced by Italian and Spanish mfrs, better quality products, better design - Lisa Bogo / Studio Tile & Stone
2 Likes   June 23, 2011 at 1:19PM
lusky491
The floors look great! Thanks for your posts.
0 Likes   June 23, 2011 at 1:23PM
Dirt Digger
I agree with putting in wood look porcelain....we have three dogs and had it installed in all main living areas and kitchen and we love it! It is absolutely worry free...
0 Likes   June 23, 2011 at 2:45PM
Marie Grabo Designs
I agree too, or a good quality laminate wood floor would be nice too.
0 Likes   June 23, 2011 at 10:03PM
Viktor
Hey,
Few things to keep in mind:
- Tile cannot be resanded to change the look (stain/color) when you want to change style/decor, but hardwood can be easily changed.
- When you drop something on tile it cracks and breaks, hardwood floor will dent but an easy fix.
- Hardwood floor is a natural insulator, but tile will always be cold. Will add to heating bill in the winter.
- Hardwood floors are durable, especially bamboo, if properly cared for and maintained even with heavy traffic. But its a bedroom, its not high traffic area. You'll be happy with hardwood floors there instead of cold tile. Imagine getting up on a cold day in the morning and stepping on cold rock... yea, I prefer warm hardwood.

Just remember, value of home goes up with hardwood floors... not tiles.

Hope that sheds more insight on your issue =)
Here's a blog post on advantages of hardwood floors just to shed even more light on this issue http://bit.ly/mSm0tW

Cheers,
Viktor
1 Like   June 24, 2011 at 12:37PM
lusky491
It's obviously not a decision to be made quickly. Will ponder it for a while and do more research before making a decision. All your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
0 Likes   June 24, 2011 at 2:33PM
Studio Tile & Stone
You asked for durable flooring to withstand pets and heavy use:

Resanding & finishing hardwood is expensive...and not a DIY project. The entire wood floor must be refinished. Individual tiles can be replaced.

When installing a floor, consider it is the surface of your home that takes the most abuse. Think long term aesthetics and avoid design trends. Why would you want to change the color of a wood floor if it was the best choice to begin with? Think classics and timeless style.

It is irresponsible to post that a tile will (always) chip when you drop things on it. Very low quality tile (red body) is prone to damage. We always propose high quality porcelain tile. If you purchase high quality tile (porcelain made in Europe or USA) the likelihood of chips are very, very low. This is why you purchase extra tiles for replacements if this happens...not a big deal to replace a tile or two over the course of decades.

Tile is not always cold - it is a thermal battery, meaning it absorbs & stores the temperature of the air around it. In cold climates, use an underfloor heating system and area rugs. In hot climates, tile is cool and helps to keep the home cool.

Natural wood is not more durable than porcelain tile...this is why you will find porcelain tile in commercial installations (airports, malls, stores, restaurants) and high traffic areas and you will not typically find wood in those areas.

Additionally, tile does not harbor insects (termites, fleas), it is water proof, mold & mildew resistant, does not burn, does not off gas, does not rot, individual tiles can be replaced - wood floors must be completely refinished when there is damage.
3 Likes   June 24, 2011 at 3:54PM
Viktor
Hello,

Hmm I see we're going to enjoy a nice discussion of tile vs. hardwood here =)

I never said it always cracks, just pointed out that hardwood floors dent and tile breaks when applied enough force.

Changing style/decor is not something you do often, if ever. But does happen. That's when you have to resand the entire floor. But, you do have that option and it's cheaper to resand hardwood floor than to buy new porcelain tile, plus work on ripping it off and putting new one in is expensive. Much more expensive than resanding.

Underfloor heating system is expensive and racks your bill up tremendously, especially in the winter plus added expense of installing it.

Bedroom is not a high traffic area, unlike hallways or other rooms in a house. So that shouldn't be a concern in this case. And rugs can be used just like on tile. It's just so much better for a bedroom to have hardwood floors. I would even say carpet, but not a tile. It's a bedroom.

Tile might be waterproof, but grout (adhesive) is porous. Even if you apply sealant, tiles expand and contract with temperature and create holes in grout for water penetration, causing mold to build up.

Lastly, hardwood is much softer than tile its good for people with back problems to walk on and being softer, things have an easier chance to NOT break when dropped unlike tile.

Both floors have cons and pros, but it really comes down to the budget, longevity, and comfort. Whichever type of flooring you choose, make sure you're comfortable with it. You will walk barefoot on it in bedroom frequently, so I recommend you stop by both hardwood floor retailer and tile retailer and see if you can try out both barefoot. Than you'll know which one feels right under your feet!

Hope that helps,
Viktor =)
0 Likes   June 25, 2011 at 6:02PM
susanwestby
I'm dealing with the same question so love this discussion. My renovated Victorian now has hydronic heating (radiant heat below floor), so wood flooring is problematic/may warp. I'm not crazy about engineered wood flooring due to thin wear layer. My bathroom tile floor feels fantastic with the radiant heat. But in a bedroom it seems odd, in the damp Pacific NW where we live - still not sure what to do. My kids are hard on floors too....
0 Likes   July 30, 2011 at 8:49AM
kandy smith
I vote for wood.
The wood-like tiles I have seen still look like tile to me.
Nothing I'd want in my master bedroom.
Maybe out on a porch or in a rustic kitchen, but not in a bedroom.
To me wood is just warmer. Not temperature warm but ambience warm.
I have both wood and tile floors in my home and I much prefer the wood areas.
0 Likes   July 30, 2011 at 9:53AM
ksara4
Hi viktor. we just had hardwood floors installed in our home and now need to select the finish. We are debating over satin or semi-gloss. What is most in style right now? and what would you recommend?

Thanks!!!
0 Likes   February 7, 2012 at 5:43AM
Anna S
It depends on where you live too. I live in south TX. We get if any, 30 days of temp below 40F a year (if we are lucky). Our long summers are over 100F every day. I used to have hardwood floors, but over time got really really badly damaged as i have 2 small dogs running around all day, and i dogsit my brother's dogs which are close to 100 pounds each..... That being said, i changed the flooring of the entire house to tile (had carpet in the bedrooms, tile in kitchen, laundry and bathrooms, and hardwood on the living areas). Now the whole house looks much more elegant, scratch free, and most of all, it is so easy to clean!.... I do have big area rugs in the bedrooms though.... I have to say it was not an easy decision to remove the hardwood, but i am more than happy i did. I will recomend anyone with large pets, kids with toys, and highly visited house to do it!... Not sure about northern states and the cold weather, but down here i am more than glad to have my "cold" floors.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:44PM
psiebert
i had wood floors in my home. They warped and stained. I still love the look of wood so I went with high end wood tiles. Put in radiant heat as I live in New York and find the radiant is far more efficient than forced air or baseboards especially with vaulted ceilings. Without vents or baseboards I can put my furniture anywhere. The look is great of the wood tile is beautiful as well. We opted to put in a "rug pattern" as well with the tile using some granite patterned into the floor. Amazing custom look. In our entry area we also had a custom "compass rose" put in. There is no question this new floor improved the value of our home substantially. I have close friend who are real estate brokers and yes clients ask if a home has hardwood floors but she also said many high end $1m plus homes are converting to wood look tile.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:10PM
michael amendolara
Floors are the most disruptive thing possible to change in a home because every damn thing is on them, so make a slow and well considered choice. Have read through the foregoing and have some thoughts... First of all, there are all kinds of radiant heat floors available and while they are expensive, some way more than others, I find them to be the most comfortable and once installed cheaper to operate. Also, radiant floors can go under wood or tile, be sure your vendor knows how to install under wood floors if you choose radiant heat and wood. Second, was mentioned above... Porcelanosa sells faux wood floor tiles that are really beautiful and not at all cheesy. You simply have to see them to believe them. I have sold lots and lots of porcelanosa over the last three years and I am impressed with their product line and pricing. Carlisle makes terrific hardwood floor that you wood be hard pressed to damage easily and once installed damage can be repaired without redoing the whole floor. That being said, there are hardwoods and there are hardwoods. A really good hardwood is expensive. Be careful of Brazilian cherry... There are downsides, the worst of which is that light acts on it in a dramatic and rather unpleasant looking way. Move a rug and you will still see the shape on the floor forever more. Also, the wood is so freaking hard that it is difficult to install. You can do a thousand designs on one floor. Think of it as lasting forever, bite the bullit and buy what you really want.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:12PM
jermspill
Hi. I wanted to ask a question because I have been agonizing over this decision. I have been considering switching to tile in my master bedroom, using radiant floor heating underneath. My reasoning is that my wife and I live in a big house, but it is only the two of us. We generally set the thermostat to a very low temp in the downstairs, and a moderately low temp in the upstairs during the nighttime. If I put the wood floor tiles with heat in, I could pretty much almost turn off the heat in the upstairs during the nighttime and just heat with the radiant floor heating... Would this be an effective way to heat the room and save by not heating the entire upstairs?? Our MB is only 300 sqft but the entire upstairs is closer to 1300 sqft. I am assuming that you can get a programmable thermostat for the radiant floor heating system?? Any recommendations on what type/brand of radiant heating to get? And also which vendor to choose that carries Porcelanosa... We live in Northern NJ. Any comments would help as I would have to sell my wife on this idea.
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 6:05AM
My living room needs some help with this fireplace
Help! My hubby loves this fireplace - but its quite...
Curb Appeal or should I say LACK OF Curb Appeal, HELP!!
Hi All, we are preparing the inside of our Pacific...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Need exterior ideas!
Keeping the siding for now on our new house. What would...
Need help with matching a couch and what colours would go???
Hi there I really need help on matching my furniture...