Clear Glass Shower
Maryl Hershelman
I really like our corner shower in the bathroom but would like it to be a little more translucent...it also has these obnoxious bevels to represent mullions(?)....some have recommended etching but I worry about the porous texture holding on to mildew, soap scum etc. I would be open to a stained glass effect but what would hold up? Can't afford to replace yet. Also any idea how to drill a hole in glass...this door has a knob and would prefer more of a handle...
Thanks
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You can put a decorative film on the exterior. This is the best website we have seen - http://www.decorativefilm.com/ These products cannot be put on the interior as they will not hold up to the constant water.

As far as putting an additional hole in the glass, you would need to call a glass company to come in and look at yours. The shower glass is supposed to be tempered glass and generally you cannot make a hole in it or alter it after it has been tempered.
March 24, 2013 at 2:50PM   
Maryl Hershelman
thank you....the options are wonderful. So much more than that's available at the big box store. I've been called the contact queen so hopefully this won't be so very tricky.
March 24, 2013 at 4:22PM   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I will warn you these are tricky. Make sure you get good installation instructions and it would probably be a good idea to have an extra set of hands to help. Good luck.
March 25, 2013 at 6:52AM   
If the glass is tempered (which it should be), it should not be possible to drill a hole as the glass will break.
March 25, 2013 at 7:49AM   
Maryl Hershelman
Because of the bevels on the exterior I may cut each piece into 7 x 10 making the application either easier or a total nightmare
March 25, 2013 at 4:17PM   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Let us know how it goes so we can share the experience with others that have the same issue.
March 26, 2013 at 4:41AM   
apple_pie_order
There are also spray-on paints designed to mimic a frosted look on glass. 7 by 10 inch pieces of Contact paper are a lot easier to apply than big swaths.
March 26, 2013 at 6:20AM   
Need help with turning my living room into a kids cooking classroom
Hello, I'm planning to host some kids cooking classes...
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
Kitchen dilemma
Hi My kitchen is being painted in 2 weeks and I do...
Is it even worth it? Screen porch and return on investment. I'd love y
I would really like a screened in porch. We have an...