Love the tiled hood!
Jill Hagerman_Logan
March 24, 2013 in Photo Questions
I was thinking about replicating that in my kitchen remodel. How did you do this?

Wondering if i could keep costs down by getting a relatively inexpensive hood and then build it out with dry wall before tiling. No sense in getting a beautiful and expensive stainless hood and then cover it with tile. I am on a budget! :)
Boomgaarden Architects
Jill, Attached is a photo of how we framed the hood for the tile. You could absolutely go with an inexpensive hood and dress it up this way. Best of luck with your renovation.
March 25, 2013 at 7:12am     
Jill Hagerman_Logan
You rock! Thanks so much. I'm inspired.
March 31, 2013 at 11:00pm     
jayne1313
Chad,

I love this tiled hood. We have a much smaller kitchen and vey differant L shaped layout (no windows but large original skylights from the 1800's, and beams). My contractor said he could make a tiled hood and would build it out of wood. I was wondering whose liner you used? We only have a 30" range and currently a Best hood, I also wanted to know whose subway tiles and the color used in this project? I didn't know if there was a differance in those sold by Home Depot (USCT) verses ones that are hand made, etc. Also, this grout looks like it is light gray or pewter. Is it really charcoal?

The work is amazing because I thought the window trim and crown molding was original to the home.
January 20, 2014 at 12:01pm   
Boomgaarden Architects
Jayne, thanks for reaching out. The liner specs for the hood will be a bit difficult to find. We'll have to go through our archive emails to find this information. I'll see if we can find out for you. There is a difference between the machine cut tiles and the hand made. Often the finish is quite different, and the depth can be as well. If you go with hand made, make sure you let the contractors know well in advance what the thickness is so they can accommodate this when building the walls. More often than not, we use machine cut subway tile and Delorean Gray, Pewter or Charcoal. We did use the charcoal color in this renovation. The window trim was matched to the existing - so everything in the house remained a consistent profile.
Best of luck to you!
January 21, 2014 at 8:25am   
jayne1313
Chad,

Thank you so much for responding. It does sound like you use the TEC grout, which we just used in an unexpected bathroom remodel after a pipe broke. In that case we used Silverado with carrera marble which we had cut into 12 x 6 pieces. We made extra work for our tiler because we never considered that the edges would not be straight, but it turmed out great.

For the kitchen I was looking at TEC's Delorean Gray or Light Pewter, but may go ahead with their 929 Charcoal Gray.

My hardest decision is removing a natural light travertine backsplash made of 15" x 8" tumbled travertine and replacing with 3" x 6" white ceramic tiles (probably USCT Home Depot tiles that are $1.77 per square foot). However, we think the simple white will look best with ouir azul macubus countertops we are keeping. The travertine as it is not practical. My husband is a professional Chef and I am a painter, photographer and collage artist and I think some of these kitchens have too many things going on fighting with each other. White subway tiles are so classic.

Our kitchen won't look anything like this one as we have skylights and beams, but I am really inspired by the white subway tiled hood. What that your design idea?

The other thing I am looking for and haven't found yet are those old refrigerator style latches on the cabinets above the refrigerator. Do you have any idea who makes them?

Thanks.
January 22, 2014 at 4:44pm   
Boomgaarden Architects
Ah, those hard to find refrigerator latches... a designers secret. Try http://www.premcomfg.com/products.php for beginners. Sometimes these can be found locally through a commercial refrigeration company as well. Best of luck.
January 27, 2014 at 2:22pm     
jayne1313
Thank you so much. I did contact the company that you provided and they have discontinued the smaller latches as they were not selling. They did provide the contact of their distributer who has a large inventory. My husband is a Chef and says they use these in his hotels kitchen. But all the hinges and lathes are very large since they are made for commercial use. We have a 700 Series refrigerator which is 27" in width, and were thinking of limiting these to a cabinet with 3 doors above this refrigerator and a 15" pull out pantry next to it (42" wide area). If we used similar hinges they really can't be larger than 4" or 5" because the cabinets/doors will be 15" and about 13.5" wide. They must make these for hardware used in bars. Have you seen smaller versions?

Also, can these be used with inset doors? I am thinking these were placed on standard overlay doors in the kitchen that is depicted, as well as others that I have seen.
February 1, 2014 at 12:36pm   
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Question about subway tile
Can you use subway tile on bathroom floors?
Help! Having trouble deciding on countertop color!
So I chose to go with the contemporary white cabinetry...
Design challenge, planning around weight bearing walls.
Just purchased a new home and looking to redo the current...
Kitchen lighting
Hello! We are renovating a 60s colonial we just bought....