Gallery wall continued
Sheriff821
March 24, 2013
Ok, I think it is coming together. I have this wall almost where I want it. The last two design tips I am looking for is the five-way black frame on the left that I put different color textured scrapbook paper in the colors of my room. My thought is to put painted wooden letters of each one in my family (there are 5 of us) in each opening. Each letter will be different in style and color. The other piece is the framed picture at the top right corner. Please disregard the existing frame and photo...I only placed it there to see if size balanced out. My thought there is to put a black framed custom print of our five birthdays like you see in the last photo I've attached.

So the question is...good ideas or not? I can easily do without the picture frame on the left...I didn't pay much for it and if it too much...it can go!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I think it's a wonderfully fun wall and I applaud the balance in the arrangement. I would raise by 1" the big piece that is above the shelf on the right. It probably looks fine in person, but in a photo, I'd like to see a little bit of wall between the two. But I'm nit picking.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:17AM
K B
Not a fan of the picture frame on the left. It just looks too long and narrow in the space, (I don't think the frame should come down so close or beyond the sewing machine.) You could try replacing it with a shorter and wider frame, and see how that looks. I like the birthday frame idea, but I don't like the font in your example. I would go with something more modern and less fussy. But generally, a very nice and thoughtful gallery. I might need to steal that birthday frame idea:)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:20AM
Sheriff821
KB...found the birthday print on Etsy.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:26AM
Sheriff821
You will notice that the white thermostat on the left throws everything off! ;-)
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:41AM
mkritt
I know this sounds funny, but I found it on Pinterest, and I did it to my thermostat..put an empty frame around it. It has to be there.. might as well dress it up :) You can do plain or something with more "bling".
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:49AM
nasmijati
I suggest you buy a frame and put it around the thermostat. Mkritt beat me to this suggestion!
I agree that the long frame looks odd extending below the surface of the sewing machine table.
I agree that the large photo on the right above the shelf should be raised one inch.
I hope these ideas do not throw the entire wall into disarray. I like the way you have planned it except for these few tweaks. Do not get discouraged. Just think of it as a puzzle with more variables than usual. You have done a good job getting things to this point. I am looking forward to seeing the wall evolve so,e more.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:56AM
Sheriff821
I took everyone's advice and moved the big picture up 1" or so. Then I made my own "special date" print, framed it and hung it in the right corner. I also made a quick monogram letter out of scrapbook paper and put it in an old frame. I plan to play around with the monogram, maybe using a darker frame and a painted wooden letter. Then I moved my son's state medal below which I believe gives it the balance I'm looking for. What do you all think of the end result?
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:20PM
Sheriff821
The date print
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:25PM
decoenthusiaste
I think it is getting too busy, but I like the fact that now you hardly notice the thermostat. Can you find a spot elsewhere to do the initial board and birthday piece? That could be cute in the kitchen or breakfast area. Things are getting "over the top" and you know that less is always more. Unless the smalls on the shelves tie into the photos in a meaningful way, I'd rather not use them.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:33PM
Ann
Amazing! I have that identical sewing machine in my living room. It belonged to my great aunt (born in the 1890s). Mine is complete with a middle drawer and the machine works like new. I also have all the attachments etc. Very fun to see another one.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:36PM
Sheriff821
Ann, the seeing machine was handed down to me by my Grandma. I feel like there is a piece of wood missing because you can see the machine inside when closed. You said yours has a front drawer? Interesting!
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:45PM
K B
I like the wall. It may be a tiny bit busy, but it is mostly full of items that seem to have sentimental value and have been thoughtfully selected. I think it is wonderful, good job!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:47PM
PRO
I really liked the long vertical piece low on the wall to the left of the Singer. It gave a bit of unexpected energy to the space. The new arrangement is very nice, but doesn't have the zing of the previous one.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:37PM
Ann
TeeCee - here's a picture of mine.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:42PM
PRO
Our breakfast table has the same iron Singer sewing machine base but no sewing machine. Years ago I had a 42" round Corian top made for it and it has served my family well now for many years. It originally belonged to my grandmother.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:43PM
Sheriff821
Here is the wall in the daylight. I really like the birthday print and would hate to move it. But it does seem to throw the wall out of balance again? Should I move it down an inch or two? Should I also consider putting a different mat in it so that it isn't stark white? I agree that it is a little busy but all the elements hold sentimental value.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:42AM
butlera
It looks fantastic with the recent changes. I found the long vertical frame not only the wrong shape, but also too modern for the space, which feels nostalgic to me. Great job! :)
    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:49AM
handymam
I think it looks great as it is right now, except I agree that a mat for the birthday print would make it stand out better. I think it looks very sentimental, and in this case, it works so well.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:51AM
Margaret B
TeeCee, The wall is beautiful as is. I love that you have grouped items that hold sentimental value, too many homes are filled with decorative art, purchased to match the rug and sofa devoid of any sentimental value . Nice to see the story of your family proudly displayed. One small tweak might be to add a different mat to the birthday print.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:51AM
Sheriff821
For everyone that commented on this post, thank you! I finally got the look I wanted. All done with minor tweaks and ideas based on your suggestions. Everything on this wall has sentimental value. I am so pleased!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 12:58PM
Margaret B
Well done TeeCee!!!
    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 1:10PM
mkritt
Your wall looks beautiful!! I love the balance, and how everything has sentimental value :-)
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 1:13PM
Sheriff821
Margaret, I couldn't find a different color mat on my most recent shopping trip for the birthday print. So in the meantime I printed the print itself on a light yellow cardstock. It did the trick for now until I can replace the mat. It does make it stand out better...so thanks for the advice!
    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 1:15PM
Margaret B
I like it as is, I think the subtle difference with the new paper looks great. I hope every time you walk by this wall you smile and congratulate yourself, well done with the decorating, but also appears you a pretty terrific Mom too. High five.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 1:50PM
erinbono
WOW congrats on a beautiful job!! I still like long frame that extended lower than the rest. Sometimes something that is a little off or unexpected draws the eye more......and then everyone would surely notice this amazing gallery. Using your pic as inspiration--Thanks!!
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 3:28PM