What would you do with these windows? Chandelier? Fireplace?
esmithpa
Hello, and thanks for looking at my question! We have purchased a new home and have not moved in yet; these are the staged photos from the realtor. My style is simple traditional/classic furniture lines in natural fibers, old oriental rugs-- nothing too precious, most things handed down and a bit worn, but through actual age not shabby-chic. We entertain a lot, and warm, welcoming, and serene are qualities I aspire to.

SO: First: How would you curtain this space? This is the second floor, not street level. Second: can I use my grandmother's crystal chandelier in the dining room? How does one determine correct size? If I use a crystal chandelier in the DR, what do I do in the LR? Third: What would you do with the fireplace? (Where the low shelves are to the left of the fireplace, we are building in some recessed hidden storage behind a sheet-rocked pivot door. Less visual clutter.)

I recognize that this would all be easier if my style were more closely aligned with the space itself... but this is what we could afford. The home is in the perfect location, and has room for my father-in-law's bed and bath AWAY from the master bed and bath... so my highest priorities were met!

All images are welcome! And thanks in advance!
AMN
Perhaps roman shades in a traditional decorative style fabric for the small windows and the slider. Maybe a box valence that incorporates the corner?

Maybe you'll find some inspiration here: http://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional/living/%22corner-windows%22-
March 24, 2013 at 12:31PM     
I would like to see grass shades or fabric roman shades on the windows in the living room and perhaps nothing on the patio doors. If you really prefer something on the doors, then you could do draperies that stack to the left when open, and I'd do them in a neutral linen look fabric.

Regarding the dining room chandelier, I like the chandelier to be about two-thirds the width of the table. You can certainly hang another chandelier of similar style in the living room.
March 24, 2013 at 12:49PM     
Chap De Laine's Interiors
The diameter of the chandelier should be 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the smallest dimension of the table, so if your table is longer than it is wide, use the width to determine if your chandelier is the right size. I would say getting rid of the Tech Lighting (brand name of the stuff on the ceilings) is definitely worth it to start putting the traditional warmth back in this house. The problem with the lighting is, there are transformers that you can't always see, hardwired into the house. Have an electrician remove it and/or cap it off according to code. Don't mess with it yourself. An electrician can also use that existing wiring to install some recessed lights in the living area. That's all you really need for overhead in there. Fabric shades on the windows will also give it a cozier feel. Check out Hunter Douglas' site. They'll walk you through all the products, so you can see how they function and get the right product for the way you use the room. The fireplace is fine, but I would repaint the room to a calmer color and then find artwork or a mirror you love. Have fun!
March 24, 2013 at 12:51PM     

Regarding the dining room chandelier, I like the chandelier to be about two-thirds the width of the table. You can certainly hang another crystal chandelier of a different style in the living room.

March 24, 2013 at 12:53PM     
esmithpa
Thanks for your input!

Oh yes, there will definitely be repainting! I'm trying to decide between a cream with white trim and the more trendy greige with white trim... but no more uber-perky yellow. I have Ellen Kennon full spectrum paint in our current place; may try the Benjamin Moore full spectrum in the new?

Regarding the table/chandelier question: I have Grandmother's 60" wide table, which could be 60" round but most often is 7-10 feet long with the leaves. We usually have people over at least twice a week, so I keep a few leaves in so that it seats 8-12 generally. It CAN be 14 feet long, but I don't do that often-- I'd have to move the sofa to do so. Based on the chandelier recommendations, I'd probably measure the table with leaves for 8 people and go from there.

Could I do a vintage not polished brass chandelier with crystal drops in the LR and a crystal chandelier in the DR? ( My friend took the brass chandelier out of the 1930s house she gut renovated.) The recessed lights I would have to think about... husband HATES the ones in our current place, because the bulbs burn out constantly and are a huge pain to change. The celing gets very, very high in the living room close to the fireplace. Thanks for the warning about the transformers.

Thanks again!
March 24, 2013 at 1:19PM   
esmithpa
Oh duh-- just reread-- 2/3 - 3/4 the WIDTH. Didn't need that whole paragraph. Sorry!
March 24, 2013 at 1:20PM   
For a round table, I don't think I'd go any larger than two-thirds the width of the table. Yes, I have no problem with your mixing a vintage brass chandelier in the dining room with a crystal one in the living room.

You may not have the same light bulb replacement problem in this house as in your former residence. That's not the way most recessed lights behave.
March 24, 2013 at 2:54PM   
Regarding your paint color, what works best with your furniture and rugs?
March 24, 2013 at 2:54PM   
mkdesignstudio
of course change the color to a nice beige on the walls, put the chandalier in the DR area and in the LR area can be a nice glass more modern chandelier. Courtins can be long (from ceiling to floor) bright color and thin fabric, it will give light and clasic atmosfer on both areas.
March 24, 2013 at 3:12PM   
esmithpa
What I have now is "classic cream" I thought I would try a warm taupey-grey.. most things that I have are warm and I'd say the undertone is yellow.
March 24, 2013 at 3:39PM   
With all that in mind, I would look at Sherwin-Williams Accessible Beige for your walls and SW Creamy for your trim. Both are warm, lovely colors. Please, with whatever colors you want to try, buy a sample jug and paint a big poster board, one for each color. Give the poster boards 2 coats of paint, and tape them to the wall in various locations, checking them out in daylight and at night.
March 24, 2013 at 5:45PM   
What kind of window treatments would you do with this window/
How would you put curtains on this odd shaped window?...
What window coverings would you do on these windows
We have the inside mount roman shades but it just looks...
What would you do with my asymmetrical fireplace?
I'm struggling to deal with my 2-sided corner fireplace....
What would you do with this fireplace?
We're in the process of purchasing this house, and...
Need a bathroom paint color & decor suggestion
For now, I have to keep the cream color ceramic tile...
what color will work?
I have teal kitchen cabinet tiles. Also beige floor...
Need a waste paper bin for spare bedroom.
I have a new house and am setting up the spare bedroom....
Neutral wall color for vintage cottage
I have a vintage cottage and don't want to paint the...
Need Help on Exterior Paint Colors
I have recently purchased the house in the photos....