Plumbers putty??
Kelly Storie
Anybody know what the black tar like substance is under our toilet? It is a bit wet there and we suspect thy used it to stop a small leak.
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Kelly,

It looks more like roofing cement to me. Not the right product either way. I'd suggest scraping it out so you can look at the sewer line more clearly to check for leaks. Do you have a concrete or framed floor? (My guess is framed because of the screws in the flange, but it could be concrete)

A plumber or GC can perform a test on the line for you (with a test balloon and water) to let you know the integrity of the pipe. If all checks out well, the flooring can be repaired either with framing and a subfloor patch or a concrete patch.
-Steve
March 24, 2013 at 1:55pm   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Roofing cement was once allowed to fill gaps around tub drains and evidently toilet flanges to keep bugs out. It isn't allowed any more because of the off gasing of said product. I'm sure it is done off gasing now. If it bothers you dig it up and put concrete or a cement patcher in the void. I doubt you have a leak, at least that's not why that material is there.
March 24, 2013 at 2:24pm   
Kelly Storie
Thank you for the feedback! And a bit of a relief. We will need to patch the subfloor as it is a bit damp but hopefully nothing too major.
March 24, 2013 at 2:42pm     
I hate this room! It's my playroom/ eating area I want to make it awes
There is a refrigerator round kitchen table small couch...
What is missing on my kitchen cabinet tops?
Please give me advice on the decor for my kitchen cabinet...
What is Australian style?
Australia: it's a big, brown island that has taken...
Great room is dark - should I paint ceiling?
My great room is large 15 X 20 but dark. My husband...
Kitchen design question
Hi, I picked out a bianco torrone granite and it is...