Pot light locations?! appointment tomorrow!
mcmangq
I have my final rough in appointment tomorrow on a new build and have no idea where to put my pot lights. Any suggestions on where to put them, how many to put and what sizes?
Is there a difference between potlights vs recessed lighting?

If you can mark it on the attached images that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
astraea
What kind of "appointment" do you have tomorrow, for which you need lighting locations?
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 5:42PM
mcmangq
This is a new build. So it's my rough in appointment so they know where to install things.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 5:50PM
astraea
I'm surprised the builder hasn't given you any suggestions; after all, they do this for a living all the time.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:05PM
Eagledzines
It's really handy to have under-cabinet lighting hardwired and switched so you don't have wires dangling from the lighting appliance. You may find it helpful to have drop lights over the island. A chandelier over the stair well landing and in the center over your table in the dining room. Lights on either side of the front porch for safety and for finding your key to the front door and on either side of the back door. A light over the mirror in the powder room and some can lights over the washer and dryer.

Upstairs: You will need lights on either side of the vanities. These could be preferable vertical lights on either side of the mirror or sconces on either side or a light above the mirror and can lighting in the toilet area in the master bedroom. Definitely lighting in the master bedroom closet. There is a light made now that is like a skylight made for closets but it looks like a regular light. Your electrician might know about them. You can also get the light for the closets wired so that they automatically come on when the door is opened. You will need a fan light in the shower areas. Wall lights on the porch area for night time would be nice as well. Depending on your style, a chandelier might be nice over the soaking tub.

There should be ambient lights throughout as well and your electrician should be able to help you with the fixtures and placement of those.

I see you've decided to keep the refrigerator where it was originally. When I was in business, I always made sure that if the refrigerator had to butt against a wall that the wall was short enough so that the door could open more than 90 deg. If it doesn't, you won't be able to get the drawers out.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:17PM
mcmangq
Thansk for the input. I haven't decided the refrigerator location yet but I will double check with them the depth of that wall. I do agree that the door should open more than 90 deg. Specifically where do you think I should get pot lights installed? But again will double check about the wiring for chandeliers etc
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:23PM
betsymg1
In my research for my living room remodel, I found out you should have one recessed light per every 20 to 25 square feet. My contractor used his Auto CAD program to help with the spacing and placement. Your builder should have something similar.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 6:26PM
Eagledzines
In addition, the can lights should be placed along the walk path between the counters in the kitchen.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:32PM
I agree, the builder should have a 'standard' set of lighting plan for each house model they sell. You are asking for something that would have cost hundreds of dollars for what a designer charges doing.
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:34PM
mcmangq
I understand this is what you may do this for a living, but I'm simply asking for suggestions from personal experience.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 8:29PM
Eagledzines
I hope the suggestions given are helpful to you but I think what is being suggested is that this may already or should already be available to you. Might your builder be able to supply this to you?
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 8:32PM
puduckie
Having enough pot lights in your kitchen is a must. But having them grouped (3-4) with their own switch makes it even nicer. You may want to consider lights under your cabinets also.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 8:40PM
How many Pot lights and location
I need some advice. My wife and I have a new construction...
freddybeach
Need to make decision for kitchen lights by tomorrow!
We are remodeling a 100 year old craftsman home and...
ddlwc61
What color should we paint our bathroom wall?
The vanity is a dark cherry while the tile is a while...
allie818
rredpenn
White or Biscuit? please comment
I've read earlier posts on this subject (white is classic...
buddyshower
Need help with bathroom wall color
We just redid our bathroom and don't know what color...
bspearson
What color should paint my room?
I like horses and ballet I play the piano I was thinking...
Ava Williams