A Cautionary Tale
Dana
March 24, 2013 in Before & After
We moved across the state to a new to us 4 year old house. It's a beautiful home with every upgrade /amenity EXCEPT a kitchen backsplash. We located a tile man with references and 40 years of experience...so far so good.

Tile man sent us to wholesale to the trade only tile place. I picked lovely beveled glass and stone tile. I thought it rather expensive (but what do I know?) at 30$ per 12x12" square. I decided to run tile vertically rather than horizontally. Tile man said no problem and estimated 3 days for job. I read about this tile online and it said if not in a wet area not to use grout. I relayed this info to tile man who basically said that HE was the tile man not the internet. Husband told me to hush.

Two weeks later tile man still tiling and doing mastic(sp?). He had done almost 1000 cuts of glass and stone to fit tile. He then slopped on a light mocha color grout (I chose color and he agreed with choice) that he could not get off the 1" sq beige stone tiles. My husband and I did not want the light colored tiles darker so we paid the tile man an extra $700 for his extra time over his own estimate. We scrubbed and scrubbed those 1" stones for weeks.

The tile looks lovely, but WE know where the imperfections are. We were willing to buy expensive tile. I guess my advice is this...when I picked the tile, the vendor said the beveled glass was new and he said to make sure our guy knew how to work with it. I should have done more than just ask tile man if he could lay that tile. I probably should have asked tile vendor for a couple of recommendations. My gut should have signaled when tile guy had us pay wholesaler for the tile and supplies rather than he do it and include it in our bill. Live and learn...
K B
Thank you for posting. It's always helpful to learn through others' experiences. At the very least, you are taking a negative situation and making it into something positive by passing on your lessons learned to others.
March 24, 2013 at 8:07pm   
camillealbert
Hurts my eyes.
March 24, 2013 at 8:10pm     
toniforet
I put the same type of tile in my bathroom just in a different color. We grouted it and it was a mess trying to get all of the excess grout off. The tile is beautiful for a design BUT grouting is a whole different story.
March 24, 2013 at 8:39pm   
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Eeeck! Irritating story! It is pretty obvious this would be grout nightmare! Why can't people tell the truth? This is why there becomes a trust issue in the industry . . . Glad you got through it - the tile looks pretty great - needs some kitchen decor to break it up a bit - Enjoy your new home!
March 25, 2013 at 3:42pm   
A tale of two tiles (for my kitchen) — help!
I realize it's not life or death, but I'm about to...
Where else can imager this tale? Ll bean not carrying!
Sorry ll bean does not have this. Where else can i...
If you could have any fairy tale home...
Which would you choose? Post photos of your favorite...
Dining tale and chairs
Can you tell me the manufacturer of table and chairs?...
Where to place kitchen table - or get a different shape table?
Hi - wondering if there is any better place I could...
bathroom flooring color
We have 2 bathrooms, one has floor of 6'x6' and the...
Brick help!!
We would like to add on to our home, however, our local...
Help us decide please!
We are trying to pick a tile for our mud room. The...
Air gap for dishwasher
Does anyone know if there are alternatives to installing...