School Loft Project! HELP!
theginganinja
Okay, this is my studio class where we FINALLY get to express our design creativity. We are modeling a one floor 'loft' after students in the class. my client like industrial style with an emphasis on nature. So earth elements like plants, natural woods/materials, etc. Well, i'm having trouble finding a direction to go in. He says he likes brick and dark woods. In the photo so far, i did a guilded copper colored metal wall and the rest are either brick or a gray color. (I was trying to do neutrals and then would use a pop of color with my accents) I'm not allowed to move any of the walls or the ceiling height. A lot of what is in the photo will be different like the hanging lights, the bookcases on the walls, the couch, the dining room setting, and the plants; we are supposed to render out what we actually want it to look like, so it like those objects are similar to the actual thing. I was also planning on continuing the wood beams over into the dining area. I need help because i think its missing the essence of the 'industrial style'. Please, any help/advice is appreciated. I am using GoogleSketchup.
The project is finished when you are satisfied.
March 24, 2013 at 7:25pm   
theginganinja
I've been doing just this room for 2 weeks straight, and i'm still not satisfied! I cant find the missing element.
March 24, 2013 at 7:34pm   
Carlos Bravo
Hi! what about if you remove the wood floor and change it for concrete floor? Also if you are still not sure about your colour palette i think i'd rather see a grey palette as a background for the wood beams. You can add a contrasting colour to the couch like a lime green, a citric yellow or an electric blue. Hope it's useful!
March 24, 2013 at 7:43pm   
theginganinja
Yeah, i was thinking of changing the couch to a tealish blue color!
March 24, 2013 at 7:57pm   
Stamps Design Services
You might go look at industrial spaces and nature inspired furnishing....
March 24, 2013 at 8:07pm   
theginganinja
Yes, I have been. I think the problem is first, i need to establish a color scheme. and the other problem is people associate a lot of industrial interiors with high ceilings with exposed beams, raw materials and minimalist. And my client wants these two sitting areas, so not much of an expansion. Also, a lot of pictures ive looked at have the exposed piping like around the base and up the sides of the wall. I'm not sure where to start with that one..
March 24, 2013 at 8:16pm   
Design Mode
For industrial style with an edge, check out "steampunk" interior decor. I did a google>images for 'steampunk industrial loft with nature' and got some new looks for you.
March 24, 2013 at 8:17pm     
theginganinja
I love those cage lights on the bottom. Those are almost exact like the ones i'm going to be rendering for over the couch. These to be exact! And i am feeling the steampunk edge! I didnt think of that. Thanks!
March 24, 2013 at 8:25pm   
theginganinja
Also, here are some pictures of my bedroom so far. Appreciate your comments!
March 24, 2013 at 8:32pm   
backbonemountain
Water feature on a wall!
March 24, 2013 at 8:38pm     
Susan Mills Design
I'm seeing loft but not industrial. Industrial style incorporates straight lines, oversize lighting, abrupt connections, metal and wood combinations and rooms defined by use of the furnishings within the space. Ceilings can be an important asset in industrial style, beams, metal, ducts, or even having the lighting define the space. In your plan, the lighting is weak and is an afterthought. The bed could actually be suspended from the ceiling. Doors can be run along a track. I think you need to research a bit more!
March 24, 2013 at 9:20pm     
Need help for School Project!
I am currently in year 12 and studying Design and Technology....
need help for school project
I am working on my final project and am trying to find...
Help with ceiling of Loft project
Will add a beam to separate the two ceilings. Should...
Project while I was in school, at The north Bennett street school in B
An addition with a 2 car garage and 2 bedrooms upstairs....
Rug for a round dining table
We have a 5' round glass table (with same base.) The...
No design gene. HELP wanted!
We moved into the home about 2.5 years ago. We can't...
Two small bathrooms or one bigger one?
We are remodelling our home. Besides a master bedroom...
Yea or Nay to Faux Trees, Flowers or Plants
Love the look of trees in a room - think fiddle-leaf...
What would you put here?
Hi All, Last time I asked if I should take this backsplash...