Does my living room Decore work?
zeina007
We recently renovated our main floor and I am not sure I've done a good job ensuring that the room "flowed".
Dining room, living room, kitchen all open to one another in an L shape layout Kitchen is all earth tones. I fell in love with the large print chair (grey with large purple flowers). Knowing the risk of going with a large print, I got it anyway with the matching pillows. I also loved the idea of Greys, metallics, etc however worried about the color of my floors and the color of the kitchen. So I went with the taupe grey sofas. I think they are looking more taupe bc we pained the walls grey? I also fell in love with the painting on the wall... But afraid I over did the colors/ prints and style... Did I lose my way? Planning on getting a more substantial credenza for the dining room...
zeina007
Oh... And the bulkhead that separates the dining room and living room is a thorn in my side. Makes me feel like the ceiling is caving in.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 9:47PM
calikym
I think your room looks great but the print over the couch seems to look a bit orange. The couches do look taupe and not gray so much, but they still look good with the whole room and pillows. The only thing I would change is the beautiful artwork, but not because I don't like it, but instead because the orange in there doesn't match to me.
4 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 9:51PM
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
Methinks you need more art.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 9:53PM
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
I dont think the orange art is bad but it is a tad out of scale. You still have vast expanses of wall void of art. Like above the table by the stairs. You can get a mirror at Kirklands for $50.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 9:55PM
Dezign Studio Inc
I agree with Calikym. You can try switching the art in the dining with the one above the couch, although not sure as the one in dining is not clear.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 9:57PM
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
You are not repeating the colors that you fell in love with. None of the pieces bring the different colors or styles together. The great picture would go better if their was some purple of the chair. And the roses on the pillows do not work as they are just competing, not complimenting the chair with the purple flowers or the plum sofa pillows or the orange picture. So, you have some decisions to make. Which is more important the picture or the chair?You literally could paint some touches of the chair purple color into the picture if you are artistic.

Then get some solid natural white or Ivory textural pillows (look in Pottery Barn). Then see if you can find a geometric in the orange and white and perhaps a complimenting one in the purple and white of the chair.

The picture in the dining room does not have the style of the living room but is very traditional. The living room chair is more graphic in the print style and does not go with the traditional picture.
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 10:11PM
Manon Floreat
I think you've done a wonderful job. Your space looks comfortable, airy and contemporary - a nice combination. The oranges in your lovely art piece do seem a bit out of sorts with the overall concept of the space, but I think you can make it work if you incorporate it more with other choices. Purple and orange can be wonderful friends as shown in this cubist piece by Oscar Dominguez.

Play around with it a bit more before you retire it to another area of the home.
3 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 10:14PM
Also try changing the lampshades to a natural white linen shade that will speak to the white in the purple white chair and will also articulate against the wall. Also it will offer a better/softer ambient light to room.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 10:18PM
Manon that is a fun piece that incorporates the colors and the graphic black lines of the chair.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 10:26PM
aloha42
I agree with all the above comments about the art over the couch. Whatever you put there should be at least 5 inches lower. Also the area to the right of the picture is begging for something with a bit of height - perhaps a sojhi screen or open shelving. I Googled room dividers and found several that would be appropriate for your space. Good luck!!
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 10:32PM
Manon Floreat
You have a keen eye, Mary! Art's so fun.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 10:40PM
zeina007
Oh wow... Thanks all for the awesome comments. I for sure don't have the artistic ability to add purple to the painting. :-( and yes, it has to be about 5 inches lower (my husband and I debated for hours lol- I was right. He is wrong).
I agree that the dining room art is traditional and doesn't match... Buy I was hoping the metal in it would let it work. I will be getting a mirror for the future dining room console.
Unfortunately I will have to make some decisions ... Back to the drawing board.

Thanks again everyone!
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 10:58PM
zeina007
Mary, I had to read your post a few times before I could really visualize it. But I didn't understand your comments on the existing pillows... Can you please clarify. (It's also 2am where I'm at, so my apologies if I'm slow)
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 11:03PM
zeina007
Manon, thanks for your comment. I had done a little bit of google research before I purchased the painting and thought orange and purple would work together. However I understand that it would have been best if there at least a little bit of purple in the painting. Can accessory help here? Like say a copper vase with purple flowers? Actually any advice on accessories would be appreciated. I do have two young boys (that couldn't stay out of the pictures) and my accessories have to be relatively child friendly.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 11:06PM
zeina007
Aloha... You are right, the area to the right needs something. Someone had suggested a wall mirror, which would also act as a divider of the two rooms ... But I'm not so sure about that due to the fact that I have two young boys and 1) may not be safe even if tethered 2) will never stay clean due finger prints of the little monsters. As for the shelves idea... Would you suggest they go under the bulk head or to the left of the bulk head bc I'm worried that it would draw attention to the bulkhead and bring your eye down.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 11:10PM
nancy22032
The couches seem to disappear against the gray walls but I love your chair - compliments on your courage to buy it. Next time you paint, you might use a lighter wall color. Since your dining area is the first place a guest sees, I would brighten it up with a tailored runner - great place to introduce the purple colors in a muted print fabric.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 11:17PM
zeina007
Nancy, that's a great idea! For sure in need of a runner.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 11:27PM
Angelina Vick
I think you have done beautifully with your space. I do agree with the idea that bringing your colors and styles together will create more harmony that you have right now...but the vibe is kind of eclectic. If you like that...then it's all good! =)
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 11:37PM
aloha42
I feel the shelving should be as tall as possible, the ceiling will seem higher if your furniture is taller. If you choose to use shelving, I would use open back shelving. The table to the right appears to be lower than the one at the left. I had a similar problem and I put the lamp on a decorative box to make it appear taller. If you do that, make sure the box (or even a couple coffee table books) have a wide base so the lamp doesn't overpower it - or get knocked over by the rambunctious children. Having said all that, I prefer the sohji screen but I understand kids will be kids! Another solution (althought I think you need even more height there) might be a tall plant even a taller version of the grass arrangement at the right. I wonder how many times I used the word tall in this post! :) One more thing. I totally agree that you need a runner on the dining room table! In addition to that I highly suggest an area rug. Make sure you don't use colors that contrast with your living room.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 11:46PM
It's a Beautiful World!
Nancy, it looks like eclectic is your style! If you are planning to bring more art to your room or to replace some of it, please check out our Houzz page. And enjoy redecorating!... Raisa
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 11:50PM
aloha42
If you love the art piece over the couch, I think you could easily get some craft paint and paint over the oranges with colors closer to those in your room - also incorporating some greens. If it was a very expensive piece - don't deface it, replace it. In any case, I reiterate - it should be lower.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 11:51PM
cassiegal
I love the chair! It gives your room added interest and fun. I love the painting too, just seems to give a different energy. I think a black/ white or sepia print would like awesome. One large one or 3 separate. Something I put together recently would work in your space...11x14 black frames with all 8x10 sepia family photos hung in a collage horizontal and vertical. Incorporate some of the photos of close up bloomed flowers to highlight the chair. It's a really easy project and will really personalize the space. I will send a photo when I can.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 11:54PM
cassiegal
If you are set on using your painting, I think you should incorporate more orange in the mix, maybe an orange throw draped over the couch on the right. I would take out 2 or 3 of the flower pillows. Too matchy matchy and one will do the job. Maybe on the coffee table you add an interesting bowl and fill with orange, purple, and clear rocks or stones. Not really sure if that will work with 2 small children. Or maybe add a couple of floating shelves next to the picture and add orange and purple decor pieces.
2 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 12:01AM
cassiegal
http://paullange.com/big-blooms these would look cool in sepia. 2 rows of 3.
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 12:03AM
KADesign
I like the lines of your sofa and love seat. I would start softening some of the harder lines of the furniture in the dining room with drapery. Use the same treatment in your living room. You need something with height in the room and drapery does that as well as provide protection for furniture and floors. It's hard to suggest a colour without know exactly what the existing wall colours are but perhaps something with a touch of greys and off white - nothing stark though. Make sure you use one rod that goes wall to wall with a bit of glam to reference the chandelier. I would use one rod and have it professionally installed about 5 -6" from the ceiling. (Restoration Hardware Estate Crystal Rods, 3 different finishes) If you want closing drapery be sure not to buy a telescopic rod. Custom drapery does not necessarily mean more money than ready made. If you ever replace the small console table in the hall area try a demi-lune cabinet and fill as much of the width there as sizes available will allow with a good size piece of art above it and a buffet lamp. Replace the art on the dining room wall with a large mirror to reflect the chandelier. Try the dining room art above the sofa. I have attached some photos of mirror ideas. Maybe it's the photo but there's something about the large shag that isn't quite translating well - something that is flatter maybe in a grey deeper than the wall colour. Have you tried painting out the bulkhead the same colour as the wall? Could help blend it in more.
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 1:23AM
zeina007
Cassiegal, thank you for all of the suggestions. I like the idea of flowers on the wall in sepia. It's become clear that the problem is the painting. Ah well... Maybe I can resell it ...
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 4:37AM
zeina007
KAdesign, I agree with your suggestions completely. The larger console I started hunting for - and I really like something like the one you attached. The drapery I've been wanting to do as well, however I'm afraid of adding another colour/ pattern/ material to the space and adding to my confusion. I'll tell you, I have a much greater appreciation for you designers and will for sure be going that route in the future. I just don't have the time or energy to try out pieces and then return to the store and then go back to hunting for what I'm looking for again. This space has been a year in the making and I wish I was done.
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 4:43AM
This is what I mean about the pillows. You have a chair with a white background that is an important part of this room, from what you are telling us. This is how you bring the colors together. Although this is a sectional and you have two sofas, imagine this as two sofas. There are only two printed pillows, one for each sofa, and they incorporate all the main colors of the room's color palette. The rest are textural and white and colors that are intentionally meant to incorporate the other colors of the rooms palette. So on the sofa you have the entire room represented, almost exactly. The pillows on your sofa are not the color of the picture or the chair. (All these pillows are from Pottery Barn)
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 8:15AM
I am not sure you have to really change the painting, if you just pick up that orange color subtly in a few places. That was what I was talking about wiith the pillows. I like the light rug. It is fresh looking.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/117687045/purple-pillow-ikat20x20-inch-decorator?ref=shop_home_active
http://www.etsy.com/listing/118824509/orangepillow14x14-inchdecorator-pillow?ref=shop_home_active

These are just examples, but if you peruse Accessories Pillows on houzz your will find and know if there are better matches.
These will give you the idea. They have a style consistent with your chair and furnishings. A rather mod look.
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 8:21AM
KADesign
A solid is fine if you are nervous. If you want closing drapes use a single pencil pleat, if you just want decorative (don't close) panels use a grommet header. Both of those drapery (pleats/headers) take less room when stacked/open. You will want a fabric with a nice hand/drape to it. Don't be afraid, all in good time and when budget permits. KA : )
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 1:05PM
Need help with my living room.Does this rug work with my furnture?
Trying to get the right rug for my living room.
jestlooking
Why my living room does not work?
Dear houzz people, I'm struggling to make a diagnostic...
absf
Does this shabby chic console table work in my living room? Style help
I'd love to hear any opinions and tips for styling...
elainebeck2
elainebeck2
Paint Ideas for Kitchen
I'm on a tight budget, and I despise the wall color...
Tabor Jorns
Is it o.k to use outdoor fabric for indoor upholstery?
Can I use fabric that is essentially for outdoor furniture...
anastasia flevaris
Need Help For a Green Area in the Lobby!
Hello everyone! We are under process of building...
ashut0sh
draperies or blinds?
I'm not sure if I should use vertical blinds or regular...
jkaktus1619
ממ״ד
So I'm thinking about making the ממ״ד my main bedroom...
Gabriel Lessem