Simpson doors problem cont'd
nancymonk
March 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Quick recap....
wind 4, Simpson door 0
Met w/Simpson rep, distributor, G.C., installer. Bottom line from distributor
"Keep doors closed/locked. I told you not to buy them" Really?? Not much of a solution IMO. So here's a few pics of the damage. We tried a pneumatic closer, it may do the job, but ugly. Tho prettier than a broken door. There were also tightly coiled springs, but not sure would allow door to open enough to pass thru. Any suggestions are welcomed. Simpson taking under advisement...hope to hear from them soon.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
WHAT IN THE HECK HAPPENED!!! THATS A NEW DOOR!!! Get a reputable door company to install a new door in the existing jamb. $300, lick your wounds and go on down the road.
March 24, 2013 at 10:48PM   
nancymonk
$300 would be nice. Simpson charges $900 per panel (x4 so far) Plus installation. Need a solution for wind ASAP. I have 8 of these doors.
March 24, 2013 at 10:55PM   
nancymonk
Better pic of 7 doors on rear of house
March 24, 2013 at 10:59PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Hey Nancy! They make self closing hinges for fire doors. We have to use them on the house access door to an attached garage. Two of them would be strong enough to close a door quite sharply (they are adjustable). In a high wind I doubt anything will keep your doors from talking off...except conscientious people...as we discussed before. You probably have them on your garage door now. Not too noticeable. I would do them in stainless, given your location...or solid brass. A commercial door closer is the last ditch effort. The control arm on the closer will keep the door from giving way...but the closer will tear itself apart doing it. Better looking than the screen door pneumatic though. I'll keep looking for you here!
March 24, 2013 at 11:09PM   
nancymonk
Thanks Ironwood! Getting frustrated, appreciate help. Maybe hide pneumatic with window treatment? Tho will lose the look and reason we purchased the door in the first place!
March 24, 2013 at 11:14PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Right! Maybe try the self closing hinges? On the busted up doors....it can't get any worse!
March 24, 2013 at 11:20PM   
Ed
Nancy, please update with photos of your progress. I'm curious to see the solution! Good luck. :)
March 25, 2013 at 1:18AM