need cat safe furniture
Janice Swack
I have six cats who have scratched my furniture to death. What can I use ro recover or replace?
I'm assuming you've already tried having lots of scratching posts available for them? I'm not aware of a fabric that resists scratching cats, but let's see if anyone else has ideas about this.
March 25, 2013 at 5:39AM   
When we moved into a new house, my husband trained our cats to stay off the furniture. The Siamese pair were given their own basket with a nice cushion, where they slept. They sat on our laps when we were sitting on the furniture.

I don't think that my husband could have trained them in the old house where they were used to lounging wherever they wanted. But we had new furniture and new rules in the new house.

The younger one was occasionally found sleeping on the guest room bed when we returned home, or we'd see her strolling in to greet us from the direction of the guest room. I would check the bed and discover a warm spot where she had been. I scolded her for having been on the bed but I know it was a mystery to her how we knew she had been sleeping there.
March 25, 2013 at 5:54AM   
beejays
I think I would find a cave or get rid of the cats. Six is unmanageable. You can't train them because you can't figure out who did what. I have one, and as he gets OLD, I am having potty training problems. . . I can't imagine what six would be like.
March 25, 2013 at 6:04AM   
You may simply need to have heavy canvas-style slipcovers made and replace them every few years. And of course you aren't getting rid of your kitties!
March 25, 2013 at 6:08AM     
DIAspoton
the only thing that comes to mind that might stand up to them is denim. really, think of what you put your jeans through and they only get better with age. buy washable denim slipcovers. keep in mind brushed white, natural or pale gray denim looks nothing like blue jean denim but it's very rugged. shop around, i think pottery barn may have some or you could have them made. good luck.
March 25, 2013 at 6:12AM     
elklaker
For a long time we had 3 cats. They never used a scratching post but, rather, preferred coir door mats. Kept one in the basement and they would occasionally sneak out to the front porch mat. If they ever had an idea to scratch the furniture, they got a quick "spritz" (mist) with a water bottle. Problem solved. Good luck. Loved my cats but when the last died ( at 18!), we agreed, no more.
March 25, 2013 at 6:28AM     
Need help choosing plants safe for our cats
Would like large floor plants like palms or ferns plus...
Is artificial grass cat-safe?
Some time ago, one of our cats swallowed a small plastic...
my cat keeps ruining my furniture
any ideas or covers that will protect the furniture...
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Selecting a coffee table
Hi Houzz family! We have been putting together our...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...