Need help with layout
coleebird
I need help with the layout of this room. I was considering adding a tv over the fireplace. I do have another room in my home that's on the same floor. It has no windows and a tv. In that room it's a chaise/sofa/chaise configuration. How you lay this room out? It's my great room and its across from my kitchen. The space is quite open. i should add that I have two young kids(lots of toys too) I am leaning towards a modern glam look/feel. Obsessed with tufted sofas ottomans etc. Thank you
brody1313
What a wonderful room.........I would definitely put a tv over the fireplace.....will you frame the other window so the fireplace will be centered?......love the sofa's where they are, just pull them off the walls......I am jealous, looks like a great home....good luck
March 25, 2013 at 8:37am   
Jayme H.
Is one unit a loveseat? If so, I may try floating out with back to dining area..Do u have any other furniture u plan to use for this room?
March 25, 2013 at 8:42am   
I would indulge in the tufting in the master bedroom with a headboard and chaise, and investigate "modern hollywood regency" to achieve the modern glam look you want. To break the squares that are dominating the living room, I'd hang a curvy wall sculpture above the FP and put the TV on the wall where you appear to be sampling paint. Use a credenza under it. Then turn the rug and "L" your sofas so one of them has its back to the dining/kitchen. I would put a sofa table/server for the dining table behind that sofa. Turn your dining table and bring it out in the center of that space. Add an accent chair angled to the right of the FP with a side table. Use a large round coffee table placed 18" from the largest of your sofas if one is a love. Kathy Bloodworth Overview Consoles...Credenzas...Chests Moderne Credenza - Baker Furniture Franklin Credenza in Water Based Lacquer
March 25, 2013 at 9:15am   
coleebird
first of all thank you all soo much! the white you see is actually paint samples. There is no framing around the window, its a large white paint sample. Also, I'm getting rid of the existing furniture and area rug. Blank canvas basically. trying to decide to do stone on fireplace wall all the way up or just a large mantle.
March 25, 2013 at 9:30am     
Then go for Hollywood Regency and start with a Chesterfield sofa.
March 25, 2013 at 9:40am     
Jayme H.
You have a great room to work with and could do so many things? Lots of room for a sectional and other seating or other types of seating...A rock/stone fireplace would really add character to the room too..What types of furniture do u like?
March 25, 2013 at 11:56am   
coleebird
I like tufted sofas, I love a coffee table with ottomans that slide out from underneath. I like to entertain! I want people to feel like my home is glamorous but comfortable and a place they love to hang out!
I just didnt know if I should do a sectional being that my other media room on the same floor, although smaller has a sectional like couch(2 chaise attached on either side of a sofa)
It's a room with a large tv and comfy for just the family to hang out in with no company or a room for kids and friends to hang out in while the adults are in the great room which is the layout I'm trying to figure out.
If you look at my idea books you can get a feel of my favorite spaces. I especially love that room from designer Jamie herzlinger! I love chandeliers and sheer drapes.
March 25, 2013 at 12:08pm   
coleebird
My inspirations
March 25, 2013 at 12:31pm     
coleebird
Jayme, so to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, a sectional would create a " bowling alley effect"?
I was thinking what would give me optimal seating for family get togethers and that's why I was considering a sectional. Also, when the tv is above the fireplace how do I make it comfy to watch tv in that room? I think 2 chairs facing fireplace and 2 sofas facing each other would look the best but maybe not the most comfy for watching Super Bowl? What about 2 chaise in opposite directions across from each other and a sofa facing fireplace?
March 26, 2013 at 7:08am   
Jayme H.
No, the sectional would not do that...sorry to be confusing. I meant furniture lining the walls does that. A sofa/loveseat or chairs floated out wouldn't do that...
March 26, 2013 at 7:16am   
Jayme H.
A sectional could work fine in that room...I misunderstood that u didn't want a sectional when u mentioned "tufted sofa"..sorry! You could face a sectional or a sofa/loveseat towards the fireplace..use a sofa table behind it....and/or put chairs with backs facing dining area also..and the sofa/sectional to the side. Additionally, u could flank the fireplace with chairs for seating.
March 26, 2013 at 7:19am     
Interiors International, Inc.
I think a sectional is a great idea. Then have two low back swivel chairs that will ease TV viewing and looking out the windows to your views.
March 26, 2013 at 7:23am     
Jayme H.
Trying to find examples of furniture layout.
March 26, 2013 at 7:32am   
Jayme H.
This one...chairs where stools are-floating out a sectional
March 26, 2013 at 7:33am     
Jayme H.
Sofa/loveseat/chair or chairs to side...ignore styles please
March 26, 2013 at 7:35am   
Jayme H.
Float sectional on other side of room...I would add more seating to the opposite side if u put sectional on that side. (right)
March 26, 2013 at 7:38am   
Jayme H.
Flank fireplace with seating
March 26, 2013 at 7:39am   
Jayme H.
This whole room shot is a huge room, but shows a good furniture layout for entertaining/lots of seating...
March 26, 2013 at 7:50am   
1 Sound Choice
I would think the focus is the back and side yard in the room with that said I would put the Tv above the fireplace.
March 26, 2013 at 11:23am     
Jayme H.
If u want the t.v. above fireplace, it should work out fine there. The room appears long/so it would prob. work out well to keep the focal point area your fireplace...You could put your sectional on either side of room, floated a bit out into room & add seating..as u like.
March 26, 2013 at 12:19pm     
coleebird
Ok so how do I decide between two sofas facing each other with chairs facing fireplace or a sectional and some chairs??? What could help me decide? Why would one look or be better than another??
March 26, 2013 at 2:04pm   
jamie0129
The tv should definitely be above the fireplace...paint the walls a nice neutral light gray and have the sofas where they are now and add a round coffee table since the the lovely windows are square...and then two tufted chairs facing the fireplace....
March 26, 2013 at 2:48pm   
affordable solution
Hi there, we do custom made room accessories like bookshelves, desks, cabinets..feel free to drop by our page for some inspiration and ideas. :)
March 26, 2013 at 3:02pm   
Living Room Layout help Needed! Open plan layout
Dear Houzz members, I have been struggling to come...
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
Need help with bathroom layout? Help! :) please?
Shower wall is 11feet long, opposite wall is 7 feet...
Need help with downstairs layout! please help
I have the plumbing and electric ran to the locations...
Need a help for my Kitchen designed or layout, please help
Hi, I am looking for an advice in regard to kitchen...
Bad staircase design...please help!
We are not around to monitor our new build, and ended...
open floor plan kinda
So we are about to move into our first home. idk where...
Living room unworkable?
I have two big teenage boys who like to watch TV with...
How would you spend $10,000 in your garden?
If you had a windfall, where would your money go in...